Sign in to follow this  
idiot

Ported vs. Sealed

I see nothing wrong with those stats, you gain around 3 db typically with a ported versus sealed and those stats seem pretty close to that. In competition, anyincrease in Db can win you that trophy.

from what ive read, 3 db is an actual doubling in output, but for our ears to hear "double" the output it takes 10 db.

Also, you have to realize what frequency that box is ported to, and which tones were used. a box tuned to 46 hz is high and will be very peaky around 50 hz. above 60 and below tuning, it will drop quite a bit.

Actually, seeing those numbers in the ported box below tuning still louder than the sealed box surprises me. A sub loses a lot of control below tuning frequency. The fact that it took a 30 hz tone with 2000 watts gives me great respect for this driver.

but really, those numbers don't strike me as odd.

Don't forget the amount of power Lloyd was running as well. With the increased efficiency of the 15 I'm am sure it would easily outdo the 12" vented. Enclsoure size, vent area, tuning, and vehicle/enclosure placement are all going to play a role as well. Take the 12, put it in a smaller enclosure tuned lower like most people will and the 15 should surpass it in ouput. IT's all relative.

Edited by Tirefryr

Don't worry, you won't have any problems getting loud no matter which you go with. And it will sound great to boot!

I certainly hope so. ;)

Not to sound vain, but my friend is porting two Audiobahn 12

just invert one and then we will see who is laughing with the right box and power the MAGS will definatly fudge those audiobauns up

how many oz's is the magnet on a claw basket 12" magnum? orignial

just invert one and then we will see who is laughing

WTF does inverting the sub have to do with anything?

You mean you don't know??

Geeze...

The pole vent acts as a rail gun, shooting out air at supersonic speeds. I've seen a small cat die from such things. Subsequently, SPL shoots up because the mic is bombarded.

MAgnet size/weight is irrelevant. The motor structure and backet are a thing of beauty however and NEED to be shown off. I just wish you would be able to see the cone on mine. :(

Any cone showing is always likeable... :wub:

makes my mic stand up.. :wub:

You can also get a 12 second car for $5k, but a Ferrari 360 Modena would still run a 12 sec. 1/4 but be a lot nicer. What I'm getting at is do you just want to be loud and nothing more or get loud and sound good while doing it? If you want to have good SQ while doing it, the choice is obvious...SI. Just ask around on this, or any other, forum.

well if you just want to be loud get some audiobahns, they get loud, but dont sound good doing it... :P