bld 25

Box for 15 RL-P

hey, i am looking to get a 15 RL-P, but i don't want a huge box. So did some designs, and i was going to go with 2.5 net ported around 30-33.

This should be quite a bit louder and lower than my 12 ported rl-p, right?

Is a 2" wide port enough with 25 in of port area? it is in a trunk car, so i can't hear port noise.

If not, is 2.5" wide enough?

I really don't want a monster box in the trunk.

Also, would a 15 sealed with 1000w be louder than my ported 12 with 800w?

thanks!

There are a lot of "it depends" that need to be sorted out to really give you an answer; however, you would be severly choking the 15 in such a small box and with such little port area. If that is all the room you have you should probably stick with your 12. A 15 in a cramped box will not be louder nor sound as good as a 12 in an optimal enclosure.

There are a lot of "it depends" that need to be sorted out to really give you an answer; however, you would be severly choking the 15 in such a small box and with such little port area. If that is all the room you have you should probably stick with your 12. A 15 in a cramped box will not be louder nor sound as good as a 12 in an optimal enclosure.

the specs say 2.5 cubes with 30sq in of port area, and a 2" port would have 24sq in, and a 2.5 in port would have 31 sq in. how is that choking it?

you would be severly choking the 15 in such a small box and with such little port area.
I'd have to disagree with the "small box" statement. I had my 2 15"s in 2.5 ported to 34hz, and they loved every minute of it. 2.5-3 would be ideas for the 15". Of course bigger is better, but by no means is 2.5 to small of a box for them. Now as for the port area, well that's another issue, lol. I do agree that they need more than a 2"-2.5" ports. If your going to go with PVC (round) ports, I would go with nothing small 4".

i recommend going bigger and more port area. i have my 15 rl-p in a 2.5 net tuned to 30 hz via two 4" aeros, and i still get a bit of port noise.

already designed my new box. i just gotta find time to build it. it'll be 3.5 cu ft tuned to 30 hz with 53.625" of port area. i think it'll help with the sub's output.