theMessenjah44

My pontiac has a small trunk

Ok, I got my first 15" sub today. All I've ever dealt with before are 10's and 12's. At the moment I have a pair of 12's in the back of my 97 Grand am, each one seeing 1.25 cubes sealed.

The box is easy to work with, I can have the whole thing pulled out in a matter of minutes. I would like to have something similar with this 15. One problem....the clearance through the backseat is only 13.5 inches, I believe. The space to go in through the back isn't very easy to work with either.

If I build a box that has the sub laying on it's back with the cone up, I really think I'll lose a lot of the potential from the sub that I would normally get from rear-firing it.

Also, I have been toying with a couple other ideas. Point the sub up, rear-fire the port? Possibly even downfire with 3 out of the 4 walls passing the baffle and meeting the floor, then have the one to the rear meet the baffle. With this idea I could even use a plexiglass back and still be able to see the basket of the sub.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Ok, I got my first 15" sub today. All I've ever dealt with before are 10's and 12's. At the moment I have a pair of 12's in the back of my 97 Grand am, each one seeing 1.25 cubes sealed.

The box is easy to work with, I can have the whole thing pulled out in a matter of minutes. I would like to have something similar with this 15. One problem....the clearance through the backseat is only 13.5 inches, I believe. The space to go in through the back isn't very easy to work with either.

If I build a box that has the sub laying on it's back with the cone up, I really think I'll lose a lot of the potential from the sub that I would normally get from rear-firing it.

Also, I have been toying with a couple other ideas. Point the sub up, rear-fire the port? Possibly even downfire with 3 out of the 4 walls passing the baffle and meeting the floor, then have the one to the rear meet the baffle. With this idea I could even use a plexiglass back and still be able to see the basket of the sub.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I had 2 15" L7's in the back of my 97 grand am..Had to take the rear seat out, trim around the opening and i got the box in there. Box was 36x16x30..Tight fight but damn was it loud.you should have no problem fitting one 15 back there.

WALL

J

my 15" Q does just fine upfiring in my stratus trunk. I'm not concerned with the SPL LSQ levels but it can still shake the mirror if it has to.

I had 2 15" L7's in the back of my 97 grand am..Had to take the rear seat out, trim around the opening and i got the box in there. Box was 36x16x30..Tight fight but damn was it loud.you should have no problem fitting one 15 back there.

That's pretty impressive dude.

I honestly didn't think anyone was going to reply to this, but thanks everyone. I ended up going with the downfire, It sounds pretty good, but I'm going to build another one 2" taller for a deeper sound and a little more breathing room for the sub.

here's what I built...2.5 cubes if I remember correctly, tuned to 40 hz....not my sub in it, but my friend's has the exact basket and motor as mine.

100_1658.jpg

my sub

100_1648.jpg

100_1649.jpg

As for the joke about the wall...not in this car....I bought another one for that... :P

Wait until this spring....you'll be able to hear me from anywhere in the country!

car.jpg

looks nice.

Thanks...I don't think we did too bad for our first ported box. We built another one last night....8.5 cubes tuned to 42 hz in the back of a blazer....it sounds mean! I'll post up pics next time my friend comes over.

Man Dont Feel Bad About Having A Small Trunk lol. I Have A Civic Coupe And I Have 2 SPL DVC 15's In The Trunk In A Sealed Box. At The Last Bass Comp I Went To I Hit A 142.5 With A 1000 Watt Mono Block Amp. My Trunk Is Only 38.5" x 16" x 30" And That Is The Biggest I Can Build A Box And Be Able To Get It In The Trunk And That Is How Big My Box Is Also. It Is Roughly 2.25-2.5 Cubic Ft

Edited by Eternal Kaos VP

Nice box and sub, but isn't 42Hz a little high?

Also, Eternal Kaos VP, I don't think capitalizing every word is necessary.

Edited by SteveSan

Nice box and sub, but isn't 42Hz a little high?

Also, Eternal Kaos VP, I don't think capitalizing every word is necessary.

It made me completely not even read his post.

A lot of people tune lower, but I decided to tune it a little higher to make it sound more well-rounded for when I'm listening to rock.

the box I was showing earlier is tuned to 40, the one we just built for my friends truck is also 40.

The one we built for the blazer is 42, and you just might be amazed at how loud it gets :P

The guy with the blazer is getting a mustang next week, then we'll play with some lower tunings.

Thanks for the compliments guys! to anybody that doesn't like it...I'm sorry I've disappointed you. I don't like a solid MDF downfire box for one reason....YOU CAN'T SEE THE SUB! so I'm going to rebuild it very similar, but add a little more size to it, i can add 2 inches of height on it...that should help a little.

Basically, I am going to build the top out of fiberglass so you can look down inside and see the basket of the sub :) so this box is done until I find someone that wants it.