Sign in to follow this  
bose301s

MTU Dodecasub

The drivers are all in and the thing pounds off of a Behringer EP2500, but is not nearly driven to its max. It's really weird when it in out of phase operation, it really is directional. I do have pictures, but they are crappy cell pictures and my computer died, so they may get posted Friday.

This reminds me of the good ole MTU AES days. Is this your first year at MTU? If you think this is fun wait till winter carnival!

This reminds me of the good ole MTU AES days. Is this your first year at MTU? If you think this is fun wait till winter carnival!

My first year doing AES, my 3rd year at MTU however. Sorry about not posting pictures, last week was busy, 2 hard tests and coming home for Thanksgiving break and also having a non functional computer made for a hard week. I also forgot to bring home my MicroSD card reader so I can't post the pictures now, so look for them next Monday or Tuesday.

Well I'm a freshman at MTU and so obviously a first year AES. I was the one who actually made the design for the dodecasub official (so we had something to actually work off of). It wasn't a huge deal to figure stuff out, but I had to make sure that all the subs would fit without too many clearance problems (I just used an approximate size for each sub that was a little larger to allow for errors). Each side is 10 inches - this provided a decent size that still allowed us to move it through doorways (that was one of our constraints haha). The main angle that we needed is the one in the lower-right of the picture: 58.17 degrees for the inside angles; we used the jig to get these angles on each side of each pentagon (woo, 60 cuts!) and it worked well! The main reason we had gaps was because the sides weren't exactly perfect pentagons - a few sides were a little bit longer.

UGNX3 Design:

Dodecahedron%20Whole.gif

The easiest way to see the whole construction of our sub (providing you have a facebook) is to go to the album i made: http://mtu.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2000...p;id=1273920012

Some pictures of it being finished:

The subs ready to be put in:

n1273920012_30017563_7038.jpg

About half the subs in (seems a 5-gallon bucket fit perfectly around one of the subs, so we used one to stand the dodecasub higher):

n1273920012_30017571_9645.jpg

Last sub going in:

n1273920012_30017578_2577.jpg

Top view of the bottom (we had to test it upside down to access the terminals):

n1273920012_30017584_5416.jpg

and yes, we all love cellphone pictures

Cool, thanks for the update with the drawing! Pretty impressive if I do say so myself. I wish there was an audio society where I went to college. :(

I am still going to try and get some pictures with a real digital camera so it looks better than the cell pictures, but I have been quite busy with exams, homework and other groups i am in.

Well when you are done exams, take a vid too.

Nope, finals at MTU don't start until the 17th, we have a weird schedule.

can't wait for the vids of this thing.

am i reading the drawing right, you guys used 5/8"?

looks like a fun build!! might have to try it.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

nice work.well done

i'm planning on fabricating a geodesic dome from hexagons & pentagons out of 18mm MDF.

i'll be using BOSE 802 drivers . got hold of 16 of them on EBAY.( 8 in each enclosure) ;)

they are rated at 1 ohm.

not certain on the best wiring method.

was wondering if you could tell me the angle of the cut, i'm probably gonna use a band saw.

thanx

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=p4jXKKNw1Ms