Sign in to follow this  
bose301s

MTU Dodecasub

Here are the pictures so far of the mock up and one of the subs we got.

1016071919aeq0.jpg

1016071920aoa0.jpg

1016071921ajv3.jpg

1016071921byg6.jpg

Edited by bose301s

top part looks a lot smaller than the sides...all the sides should be the same size

They are.

top part looks a lot smaller than the sides...all the sides should be the same size

They are.

oic...i guess its a camera fuxup...makes the top look smaller

They are.

oic...i guess its a camera fuxup...makes the top look smaller

That or an optical illusion because of the hole cut in the top and also having it off, theres not as much flat surface so it looks smaller, but I can assure you that the sides are all the same.

How often do you guys meet up to work on this project? :)

Once a week. The big problem now is finding space to start cutting the MDF and how to go about cutting the MDF with the correct angles and miters. Being at school, our tool selection is limited and we will probably have to use a circular saw. The other problem we have is that our lab is extremely small and packed with a lot of stuff and we really don;t want to be cutting MDF down there. We want to do it outside, but it has rained here so much that we don;t know when it won't be raining. We will get the project done, but it may be a pain to do.

Looks like an interesting project. :)

First off, buy a quality miter gague, something from Incra would work excellent if your doing this on your own (I don't see a circular saw turning out very well for this). Second, I'm going to assume your in college, so for a wood shop there will be one in the Architect department and probably multiple ones in the engineering department. If you go in there and talk to who ever is in charge of the shop, have a nice plan laid out, explain what your doing and have all numbers and angles figured out, they will most likely be willing to help you out. I know here we get bored and want something to do quite often so we would be happy to help out, plus we get our kicks from custom design work as well.

for the angles...some geometry is all you need

Corrected :)

More pictures, these are of us putting together the real "box" The wood was cut last Saturday, but I could not be there as I was busy with group homework.

1030071909ahv7.jpg

1030071909bjj5.jpg

1030071909cov9.jpg

1030071921adq6.jpg

1030071921bkn5.jpg

1030071923aqs0.jpg

1030071932aru7.jpg

1030071932blk7.jpg

1030071941akc4.jpg

1030072001aeh0.jpg

1030072002ane3.jpg

1030072004awm1.jpg

1030072005aes1.jpg

There ya go.

that think is wicked!

where'd you get the money to fund this?(all the speakers?)

i have never seen this done....what is the advantages/drawbacks of this?

and last question..lol....what are you going to power the speakers with

Nick was kind enough to donate ten 10" BMs to us for use in this project. We are very appreciative of his donations as IIRC these subs retailed for ~$230, so he gave us a $2300 gift, thats absolutely awesome of him. The point of it is to wire some in phase and some out of phase creating a sound envelope that dies off very quickly outside of that area so as to not disturb the neighbors or others in the house. Powering it will be at least 1 Behringer EP2500.

Looking very good-

lots of skill goes into cutting something like that perfect. Reminds me of new yankee workshop- that dude loved biscuits.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

wow i am more than impressed with the quality of the woodwork and the design

is this school project or something?(the MTU in the title got me curious)

Well, to be honest there are quite a few gaps and stuff, we didn't have a table saw so they made a jig for a circular saw, it worked pretty well, but its definitely not the best. We will be filling in the gaps with both internal bracing and also construction adhesive and silicone. The difficult part may actually be getting the thing wired, it's going to be a pain with 20 4 ohm voice coils to wire.

What helps me the most when wiring that many drivers is using wire thet is black and red. I know it sounds simple, but there is a lot of crap wire out there that has a clear jacket on it with small writing on one side to designate positive. The more easily you can differentiate your wires, the less chance of screwing something up.

What helps me the most when wiring that many drivers is using wire thet is black and red. I know it sounds simple, but there is a lot of crap wire out there that has a clear jacket on it with small writing on one side to designate positive. The more easily you can differentiate your wires, the less chance of screwing something up.

Good suggestion, the other problem though is impedance, we'll be able to figure it out, most of us are EEs afterall, but it may still be a pain.

SWEET! (I can see the pics now - don't know why I couldn't before). Looks like you guys are making good progress!!

Oh, I swear I'm getting that sticker off to you! It will go out soon.

that is just insane! looking good, especially for a circular saw! can't wait for finished pics!

kudos for you too nick! donating 10 subs for something like tht is pimp bro!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

SWEET! (I can see the pics now - don't know why I couldn't before). Looks like you guys are making good progress!!

Oh, I swear I'm getting that sticker off to you! It will go out soon.

What about mine!! lol, j/k all in due time! :grouphug: