subwoofery

RL-i8s in ported box

Hi guyz,

I plan to use 2 x RL-i8s in a ported box.

I listen to a lot, I mean a lot of Trance & Techno.

1// Would like to know what the transient response would be from going to a 0.6 cuft net enclosure to a 0.9 cuft net or a 1.2 cuft net one.

Which will have the best transient response?

For sealed enclosures I know that Qtc of 0.577 will have a better transient response than Qtc of 0.707

2// Does tuning frequencies affect transient response? Tuning between 30hz to 35hz.

If yes, what would you recommend.

I am a weird SQ guy that listens to Trance & Techno... and sometimes I just throw some smoooooooth jazz SACD in.

Thanks

Kelvin

Ohh yes, I have a hatchback, that is why I couldn't try IB installation. I know it can be done but will be so much work :P

going from smaller boxes to larger boxes affects transient response due to the larger volume allowing the subs suspension to work a little more freely. larger boxes increases efficiency, decreases power handling and helps to strengthen the bottom end by allowing the sub to move more. larger boxes can tend to be muddy on faster stuff due to that. smaller enclosures by nature tighten up the sound due to the fact the sub can't move as much when compard to a larger box with the same power. add more power and the sub starts to move more.

what the box is tuned to doesn't have a direct effect on transient response. however, port size, could, at least to the ear. if the port is too small and tuned to low, you'll choke airflow and that can cause a feew issues.

since you like techno/trance, i'd suggest the 35hz tuning and go a bit on the smaller size for enclosure. lowend will suffer a bit, but it should be punchy as hell.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I am a weird SQ guy that listens to Trance & Techno... and sometimes I just throw some smoooooooth jazz SACD in.

Kelvin,

Could you elaborate on your SQ goals? Your music tastes don't tell me that is the case, but it is rather pertinent information for any recommendations. I do feel either way you will benefit from a smaller box. Somewhere around .65cuft per driver.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

weird sq guy, who's fullsize xcab truck rocked with just a single rl-i8!!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

weird sq guy, who's fullsize xcab truck rocked with just a single rl-i8!!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

You'd like it even better now. :D mo powa

mines better as well, lol. though i still lack in the midbass department, the ICON does sound good!

a road trip up north is in order. gotta check out the new crib and get a ride in that beemer, weather permitting.

anyway.....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Well, I am 24 y old, like everything that moves (subs included ;) ) from trance to dance to techno.

As previously stated, I like listening to jazz, smooth jazz, gospel. You should try to find "A Twist of Marley" a well recorded CD with different jazz artists playing some good old tunes from Mr Bob.

Sorry but I don't like listening to classical music - therefore tuning to 10-15hz to hear 15hz note not needed.

My system consists of:

CD7000

Focal 165K3P upfront bi-amped (TN52 replaced by Brax Matrix 1.1)

Milbert Bam 230ab for Mids and Tweets

Audison LRx3.1k for Midbasses and Subs

Planned to buy some RL-i8s (like the idea of small but deadly)

Wiring: Comps - Totem Acoustics Tress // Subs - Van Den Hul The Magnum Hybrid // Comps RCAs - Van Den Hul The Integration // Subs RCA - Tara Labs RSC Sub

Big 2 done :huh: - alt to battery to much hassle, alt in the middle of the engine (jap car) and alt + facing the ground.

I don't plan to compete (no comps in Tahiti), just for my personnal experience, like to read and try different things.

Don't go to parking lots to show off my system neither, just some occasional "CD testing for friends"

PS: primary language is french - hope my post makes sense :seesaw:

If you have that caliber of equipment, IMO you'd be insane to go ported and introduce a peak in the middle of the passband.

Given proper tuning, that'd be one hell of a setup.

I agree, sealed is your friend here. The output of the Rli8 is significantly more (as expected) ported, but it does get down in a sealed enclosure and sounds tits doing it.

your English is better than most natives ;)

Thanks for all the advices. Appreciate that.

Guess I'll have to stick with the sealed box then.

Ohh yes, ///M5 (don't know your name). You have a box that is .65 for your sub tuned to 30hz, is it the net then you add the port or the total gross volume?

Ohh yes, ///M5 (don't know your name). You have a box that is .65 for your sub tuned to 30hz, is it the net then you add the port or the total gross volume?

The box is 3.25cuft, but has .65cuft of "net box size" for the sub. The rest is consumed by the port.

-Sean

Since the 8's are still not ready and ported might hurt the over all sound, why not go a single RL-i 10 sealed?

Well, I like the "HOLY COW" factor, that is why I wanted to buy the RL-i8s.

I live overseas therefore cannot order stuff as I like since I have to pay for the freight and custom broker.

Will wait for the RL-i8s, should be ready early December (crossing fingers).

Decided to listen to you guyz, going sealed, but is 1 cuft good for my application or smaller would be better?

:Sean:

Wooot, that is a big box for an 8" :fing34:

For a pair it will be fine, especially if you aren't considering the volume the subs will displace.

Thanks Sean, I'm sold :D

When the RL-i8s are out, I'll order them and try to post some pics of the finish product.

Thanks a lot guyz

the RL-i8's are good subs and it wont dissapoint you. I have 2 in a 1.6 cube ported boxed tuned @ 34hz on a sundown 1500d @ 1ohm

and metered a 144.6dbs with it .. also the c/s is great

heres a pic also

2rli-834hz.jpg

sundown1500dbatt.jpg

Aloha

the beastiest, bestest 8" sub i've ever played with. and mike is a hottie!!! lmao...

you won't be disappointed with product or provider, both are at or near top of their game.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

the beastiest, bestest 8" sub i've ever played with. and mike is a hottie!!! lmao...

you won't be disappointed with product or provider, both are at or near top of their game.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

+1 I concur. fing05.gif