Sign in to follow this  
Flipx99

Mini- HT system

Hello.

I am currently wanting to redo my setup to a nice bookshelf, center channel, and sub setup. I already have a nice sub so I'll keep that and use what I have now for something else.

My budget is about $600 for the the bookshelfs and the center channel. I currently have these speaker stands

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.c...FTOKEN=79969804

and wish to keep them. However, I think this may restrict the height of my bookshelfs. The center channel will be placed under the TV.

Any suggestions?

Im currently building this, a nice little setup I did a ton of research looking for the best design for my needs.

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/sanaka/AudioDIY/DHT/DHT.html

This here would fit your budget to

http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/sc51/index.cfm

Thanks.

I will look into the 1st one when I get home.

I think what I am going to do first is replace the reciever to see if that changes anything sound wise. Something tells me these polks can sound good.

I am looking into either the Denon, Pioneer Elite, etc is the $400 range. So I won't have to upgrade and then I'll know whether or not is the the receiver or the speakers.

For a good 5.1 reciever i read up and i have always had a soft spot in my heart for Harmon Kardon/ JBL

i picked up my avr 146 for 230 bucks off pricegrabber BNIB and it is beautiful

mine came from total electronics. Super fast shipping.

http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/home-a.../search=AVR-146

Edited by lilmaniac2

For that budget I'd just build two speakers and forego the center altogether.

For that budget I'd just build two speakers and forego the center altogether.

I though the center channel was the most important speaker for movies. I watch movies more than I listen to music. So do you think a really nice 2.1 setup could accomodate this?

The center channel is, in a big room but in all reality I don't think your budget is high enough to add one.

Think of it this way since you have $600 for diy stuff.

Go to your local home audio store and listen to a set of $1000 speakers which for $600 you should easily be able to build. Then compare them with a pair that is only $600 (if you need to build 3 they will be more along the lines of this quality). What would you rather live with? I think it will be a no brainer.

I didn't say it wouldn't work, but I will reiterate that it would sound better putting all of your budget into just two speakers instead of stretching it thin.

I didn't say it wouldn't work, but I will reiterate that it would sound better putting all of your budget into just two speakers instead of stretching it thin.

I see your point.

I am all for the DIY thing but building the crossovers is a bit beyond my level of expertise. I am looking for something either already together, or easy to assemble (with prebuilt crossovers).

I would think the best solution would go ahead and buy a better 5.1 receiever because I know I want a center channel some day. Just buy a nice 2 channel and buy the center channel when I can afford it.

I looked at the 5.1 chad posted, I am unsure if 30 watts will be enough. I am thinking something that does 5x110 or so for a budget around $300.

the 30 watts rating is about like the sundown 1500d rating from what ive read. Ill link to a couple of reviews for ya so you can see what i mean.

also diy crossovers arent really that bad, ive learned alot building mine, i had no idea what i was doing to begin with , and im actually starting mine over tonight, but I would gladly help you on your way. I think your in the same position I was a few weeks ago, thats why I've been so willing to help, because lets be honest nobody likes being a noob :)

here is the link to the AVR-130 Review, The 146 is slightly better and has a few nicer features, its also more widely availible

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receive.../avr-130-review

the main reason that review gave the 130 a bad review is the lack of a visual interface, a problem which the 146 fixed.

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/harma...7-30632952.html

Regarding the AVR 130's modest power rating, we'd like to bring up another specification that's almost always a more reliable predictor of build quality and power: the receiver's weight. The AVR 130 tips the scales at 23.8 pounds, right up there with many 100-watt-per-channel receivers. In comparison, Sony's STR-DE895 receiver (110 watts x 6) weighs 21 pounds. That's why we weren't at all concerned with the AVR 130's modest ratings, and our listening tests confirmed that hunch.

the 30 watts rating is about like the sundown 1500d rating from what ive read. Ill link to a couple of reviews for ya so you can see what i mean.

also diy crossovers arent really that bad, ive learned alot building mine, i had no idea what i was doing to begin with , and im actually starting mine over tonight, but I would gladly help you on your way. I think your in the same position I was a few weeks ago, thats why I've been so willing to help, because lets be honest nobody likes being a noob :)

here is the link to the AVR-130 Review, The 146 is slightly better and has a few nicer features, its also more widely availible

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receive.../avr-130-review

the main reason that review gave the 130 a bad review is the lack of a visual interface, a problem which the 146 fixed.

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/harma...7-30632952.html

Regarding the AVR 130's modest power rating, we'd like to bring up another specification that's almost always a more reliable predictor of build quality and power: the receiver's weight. The AVR 130 tips the scales at 23.8 pounds, right up there with many 100-watt-per-channel receivers. In comparison, Sony's STR-DE895 receiver (110 watts x 6) weighs 21 pounds. That's why we weren't at all concerned with the AVR 130's modest ratings, and our listening tests confirmed that hunch.

Thanks for a link to that audioholics forum. I think reading the reviews will give me a better grasp of what is what.

I see your point.

I am all for the DIY thing but building the crossovers is a bit beyond my level of expertise. I am looking for something either already together, or easy to assemble (with prebuilt crossovers).

For $600 you definitely can't buy three pre-made speakers, they will sound like ass. I'd look for a good used set if you have to buy pre-made and only get a pair. If the budget of $600 includes the receiver you are really stuck...

24 pounds for 100 watts? Lightweight :P

If building a crossover scares you, don't use a crossover then :)

Not using crossovers is even easier :P

Building crossovers is easy, but the components aren't cheap if you do it right.

Building crossovers is easy, but the components aren't cheap if you do it right.

I always assume as much as the drivers I am using, a bit less if they are paper and potentially significantly more if they are Mag or Kev for instance.

Yep, the actual construction is no big deal. It's the design that is tricky.