ronrico418

200 amp HO Alternator settup

Hi guys my name is Joey aka ronrico41I8. Wanted to go with the Sundown guys about this as I figure you'd have the best ideas considering familiarity with this product. Just purchased a SAZ-3000D that I plan on using w/Fi subs. I plan on purchasing a 100.4 and 100.2 in the near future. I would like to get away with using 4-6 batteries as my ride should be bagged in January and I need room for the air tank and enclosure. I would like a high voltage electrical sytem that can get me 5000 watts out of this baby. Is this possible? What is the highest voltage system I can use on a vehicle that is driven just several times a month. Whip is a 1988 Chevy S10 Blazer with V8 SBC350 w/280hp built to be driven on the street/highway. Any info greatly appreciated and thank you all in advance.

Thanks to Jacob for helping me out with quick responses and clear direction during the purchase process of this amp. So far Sundown is simply a great company to do business with and I will highly recommend to friends and family.

The Sundown website suggests a 200 amp alt. http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/high_amp.html and "at least one" http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/xs_power.html AGM cell battery

DaytonaSBN2006-072.jpg

Edited by 418FIs

There are several company that will wind HO alts for pretty much any car. These are Iraggi, run by Dom Iraggi, Excessive Amperage, and Ohio Generator. I have no experience with these companies, but they're all popular.

I have an EA 200amp for my 92 4dr blazer.

Nice Blazer What batteries are you running and how many? Are you satisfied with your settup? 12volt? What amps are you running and how much did the alt cost?

I'm looking to find an electrical guru. Can anyone help? Do I have to run a 12 volt system or can I up that on a vehicle thats only driven a couple times a month. Does anyone have a 16 volt electrical system on a dlydrvr?

Edited by 418FIs

You can run 16v daily but you need a separate 12v system -- this means one 12v alternator and another 16v alternator.

I have an EA 200amp for my 92 4dr blazer.

Nice Blazer What batteries are you running and how many? Are you satisfied with your settup? 12volt? What amps are you running and how much did the alt cost?

I'm looking to find an electrical guru. Can anyone help? Do I have to run a 12 volt system or can I up that on a vehicle thats only driven a couple times a month. Does anyone have a 16 volt electrical system on a dlydrvr?

Thx, yours looks really clean as well. Right now I'm running the 200amp alt, 1 redtop, & 2 runs of Kicker 0awg. I get no dimming at all. I was running an Orion 2500D with an RE MX 12", and I had no issues with it then either. I do plan on running a 2nd redtop to help with the compressors when they kick on.

You can run 16v daily but you need a separate 12v system -- this means one 12v alternator and another 16v alternator.

Thanks Jacob.

Sooooooooooo

Now the question is can it be done on my vehicle (88 chevy s10 blazer) with v8 swap sbc350. How many batteries would I need for the 16 volt system to run a Sundown saz-3000D on say 4 Fi SSD18s with bp option and copper option?

Depending on the 16v Alternator you get, probably only 2 moderatly sized batteries (specific to the 16v system).

Depending on the 16v Alternator you get, probably only 2 moderatly sized batteries (specific to the 16v system).

Best Places to find 16volt batteries, charger, and alternator?

What would be the disadvantages (if any) to running this type of settup.

Can I use the stock alt w/ second battery on the 12 volt system? I will be running Sundown 100.4 and 100.2 on 12volt settup.

My previous big 3 settup consisted of Ford 18volt variable regulated alt (although always used as 12volt system) This was in 1990 and there wasn't alot to choose from aftermarket back then. Alt was custom built by Posey Power in Tampa and modified time after time until we found what worked. Ended up mounting the 6 50 amp diodes outside of the alt on a custom bracket also housing 3 rectifiers and 2 fans for cooling on a custom made plexiglass case. Pretty cool for nearly 20 yrs ago. 6 group 31 deep cycles with 14 amps pushing 34 10s at about 150 rms each. Loved the old skool!!!

You could also try Kinetik or Stinger. As well as a mutlitude of other battery manufacturers.

If you want to run a 16V system the easiest way is to pick up a kinetik 12/16V battery and a 16V alternator.

Then if you need more current you can just buy more 16V batteries.

The 12V post goes to the voltage sensitive items like the computer,gauges, h/u and what not.

While the 16V post powers your amps and starter if you choose.

http://www.kinetikaudio.com/hc16v.asp

If you look at the battery you can see the 12V post with the yellow ring around it.

P.S

Remember that the higher voltage you go, the less current your load will draw.

The less current you draw, the less batteries you need for extra capacity. All in all, you save some coin and weight by not needing extra batteries.

Why not run 16V batteries of your choice and a externally regulated alternator with a stepdown box for your car?

Why not run 16V batteries of your choice and a externally regulated alternator with a stepdown box for your car?

This is what Im thinking.

Get a stepdown and a 12 volt battery for under teh h00d, and a 16volt bank in teh back.

Heck, you could run your starter off 16 volts... maybe. Also, if you have MSD box, they work VERY well off 16 volts.

If you want to run a 16V system the easiest way is to pick up a kinetik 12/16V battery and a 16V alternator.

The 12V post goes to the voltage sensitive items like the computer,gauges, h/u and what not.

If you look at the battery you can see the 12V post with the yellow ring around it.

P.S

The less current you draw, the less batteries you need for extra capacity. All in all, you save some coin and weight by not needing extra batteries.

Supa........ooooooooh sweet one title thingy those batteries are badazzzhale

1 Any place to get them cheaper?

2 Do I still need a 12 volt alt if I get a stepdown?

3 Can I run just 1 of those batteries on a Sundown SAZ-3000d w/ only a 2-300 amp 12 volt alt installed.

4 Is there another way of charging the 16 volt battery?

5 Can I somehow get away with running 1 alternator or if I have to run 2 can I run the stock alt as the 12volt if only running 2 100.4s with 1 extra 12volt battery. (Yellow Top for now)

Answers to any questions are appreciated. Thanks in advance ~J

This is what Im thinking.

Get a stepdown and a 12 volt battery for under teh h00d, and a 16volt bank in teh back.

Heck, you could run your starter off 16 volts... maybe. Also, if you have MSD box, they work VERY well off 16 volts.

Sounds like an awesome idea. Again does the stepdown mean I can run 1 16volt alt?

Was thinking about MSD......just installed an edelbrock endurashine RPM Performer intake. Chevy crate motor SB350 has about 40 miles on it.

How could I forget look what came in the mail today!

88JimmyandSSApics174.jpg

There she is88JimmyandSSApics177.jpg

P.S

Supa........ooooooooh sweet one title thingy those batteries are badazzzhale

1 Any place to get them cheaper?

2 Do I still need a 12 volt alt if I get a stepdown?

3 Can I run just 1 of those batteries on a Sundown SAZ-3000d w/ only a 2-300 amp 12 volt alt installed.

4 Is there another way of charging the 16 volt battery?

5 Can I somehow get away with running 1 alternator or if I have to run 2 can I run the stock alt as the 12volt if only running 2 100.4s with 1 extra 12volt battery. (Yellow Top for now)

Answers to any questions are appreciated. Thanks in advance ~J

1. Ask someone who can get competitor pricing. I don't know anyone off hand

2. You will only need a 16V alternator. No step down needed since the battery already has a 12V terminal.

3. See post 2 and yes, you can run the sundown off of 1 battery.

4. The only other way is to get a 16V battery charger or an alternator.

5. If you wanted, you could run the 16V battery's 12V terminal to another 12V battery, wether it be a yellow top or not.

Its going to be a lot of batteries, but you can save weight by using a smaller size since the real power hogs are the subwoofer amps and those would be running off of 16V.

If you need a diagram I can make one to simplify it all of you arent fully understanding.