ss-audio

2007 XXX 18 Wall

I am currently building a wall for a customer at the shop that is going to house a XXX 18 with two sealed 12" re series woofers for mid bass (customer insisted this not me). Here are some pictures of my progress. Net volume is 16 cubic feet with 160 square inches of port.

Amplifiers consist of a USamps MD3D for the 18

an MD1D for both 12" woofers

Elecitrical is lacking (KHC2400/1800/600) - customer ran out of money though, After all the other items he purchased for the install it came out to be over 17000 dollars.

l_e5e105f76b482c3c4fccd634ea2cada2.jpg

l_161d4fd15a30f7706c25c6e60fce730d.jpg

l_9f9398b14d0ac3eca441716ab575a772.jpg

l_64e52abfb5d560dc9d8b1c5c6f7d63e5.jpg

Enough screws dont ya think ?

if the guy paid that kinda money.. id put all kinda screws in there too.

I will get a picture of the sub up soon. I just got the sides sealed off today and should be able to do some testing on the 18 with my sundowns. Most of the 17000 was his remote start/alarms/screens/flip down nav/tint/ and stuff like that. i extended the enclosure into his trunk because the displacement of his port/sub/wood/12 boxes/ took up about 6 cubic feet.

Yikes.

Why do I forsee him realizing he should of spent more on product instead of bling (ie screens, etc.)

J

are the 12" subs going to sealed off from the 18" ???

That's what he said.

Hopefully the money that they charged him also paid for a kick butt processor. He's gonna need some serious crossover and EQ'ing on those two 12's.

i forsee a lot of cancellation...

might be wrong but i think the 18" is going to over power the 2x 12"

:peepwall:

Edited by Lord Baccus

i forsee a lot of cancellation...

might be wrong but i think the 18" is going to over power the 2x 12"

:peepwall:

Not necessarily. Like I said previously, if he has a good enough processor to split up the frequencies and EQ the stuff the crossover misses, he should be fine.

Otherwise, it'll probably sound like ass.

having midbass coming from behind you would sound like ass no matter what

I agree with everyone as far as the money on product is concerned. In terms of sound quality, the 12's will be sealed off from the 18 and I am going to cut them off at anything the 18 picks up. Their boxes are small so they can touch the higher notes well. like i said though, the customer insisted this. Personally I think is FunKinG Wetaarrded. I tested 3000 watts on the 18 tonight and it gets extremely low but as far as the power situation is concerned he def. needs more. I am now going to be strapping two US MD3D's on the 18 and he has moved to an RE MX 18 instead. (the mx is a d2 instead of d4 like the XXX so I will be able to strap the amps to it at 1 ohm) plus I didn't realize it until now that the enclosure volume in addition to a better wiring option will also work well with the MX (landed around 12Cub ft). Will do some testing with the MX soon. I finished the trim plate in the front and recessed his amps upside down already. Will upload some pictures soon.

Edited by ss-audio

As an installer it is your responsibility to deliver a good sounding and functional system to the customer.

A lot of people believe the term "the customer is always right" applies everywhere. Except here.

If the customer hasn't a clue as to what is going to sound good, it is up to you to help them through that process even if it loses you the job. I've turned down quite a few jobs when I disagreed with a customer but they still insisted upon their way. I'll not have my name attached to any system that sounds like ass.

As an installer it is your responsibility to deliver a good sounding and functional system to the customer.

A lot of people believe the term "the customer is always right" applies everywhere. Except here.

If the customer hasn't a clue as to what is going to sound good, it is up to you to help them through that process even if it loses you the job. I've turned down quite a few jobs when I disagreed with a customer but they still insisted upon their way. I'll not have my name attached to any system that sounds like ass.

[/quote

If I tune everything properly since the 12" woofers are sealed off I don't think it will sound bad. I try to put everything to our customers in a proper understanding of terms when it comes to the basics of sounds staging etc. You and I both know more then half the people that walk into a car audio shop think more is louder or doubling their wattage is going to make their system twice as loud. If there is a customer that wants to try something that sounds like it may be decently functional and has the money to try it then I don't see a problem. I always gear customers setups towards what they are striving for the most. In this case he was looking for as much SPL as possible and still wanted to have a good show look to it. spl and show is what he is getting. My name is attached to customers cars that know what they want and get what they want with some of my advice along the way. If it costs you your job over a customer wanting something that may not be entirely functional the way you want it to be and they are willing to pay for it your hurting the business and your credatibility with the customer.

well maybe the 12's can play like 60-30hz, and hte 18's can play under 30. could possibly work, but imo pointless, why not just throw a coupla 18's up in there? im sure you have the room.

well maybe the 12's can play like 60-30hz, and hte 18's can play under 30. could possibly work, but imo pointless, why not just throw a coupla 18's up in there? im sure you have the room.

That was one of my first suggestions to the customer but he liked the idea of running a single woofer. Just giving the customer what they want not what I want (not being stubborn about it and letting it cost me my job haha)

That was one of my first suggestions to the customer but he liked the idea of running a single woofer. Just giving the customer what they want not what I want (not being stubborn about it and letting it cost me my job haha)

wait what? a single woofer? why not just do the single xxx?

you know what you should do....unhook the 12's let him hear it. then hook the 12's back up and see which one he likes better. if he likes it with the 12's more power to him.

thats exactly what i am going to do. My original suggestion was to just use it for additional enclosure volume. With two md3ds strapped to the XXX at 2 ohms i stilll think power would be lacking for that sub. I am going to try the MX first since it has a 1 ohm option based on a vcc. for some additional power on a woofer that has a lower power handling.

Edited by ss-audio