Sign in to follow this  
bigcam112

career in mobile audio

what does everyone think about this career choice? if anyone is in the mobile audio profession, what do you think of your choice? and is there money to be made?

theres always money to be made...however i would suggest u get a degree first and go from there.

Unless ur living in a big city like Unique Autosports...and ur the owner, cuz clearly his employees dont look like there getting paid anywhere near 60k a year.

I would say take business classes, get incorporated or partnership, sole propirerty or whatever and start ur own company, thats the only way ur gonna make real money and not burn urself out trying to work all the time.

so it sounds like a good idea to get a degree in business and open some kind of store rather than just taking the classes and going from there... thanks for the advice!

well your gonna need some kinda MECP aswell,

Why? MECP doesn't prove a damn thing.

But, serious... mobile audio is not any kind of career unless you own your own shop, or company.

well you have to have a MECP master installer or you can kiss insurance good bye, atlest in TEXAS you have to have one

It is a joke.. I still consider my self on the newbish side to car audio and I passed the MECP without breaking a sweat. I love audio so I plan on staying in the field tho, liek they said work towards some type of degree to get you into higher up in the audio world, above installing.

In fact I would go so far to say that the sure sign of someone who knows nothing about car audio is when they site they are MECP certified. Pretty much everytime I have read or heard that was in the defense of something where the certified person was wrong, usually very wrong.

If you're looking for a career in car audio, make sure you get firmly rooted in OEM integration. That is where the future of car audio lies, if anywhere.

In fact I would go so far to say that the sure sign of someone who knows nothing about car audio is when they site they are MECP certified. Pretty much everytime I have read or heard that was in the defense of something where the certified person was wrong, usually very wrong.

I used to be MECP certified :P

just need to re-test

i think i just wanted to get that so i could work at best buy, lol

Nothing wrong with extra certifications

There just needs to be more certs than MECP

J

Nothing wrong with extra certifications

There just needs to be more certs than MECP

J

agreed. When I was applying for product lines for my business, the guy at Power Acoustik told me I needed to be MECP certified before they would accept me. So I got the book, and seriously..it's a joke. What's even funnier though...Atomic didn't even ask if I was MECP certified :P

My take on the car audio world...

be prepared for those late night installs.. you don't get to leave when the store closes, you leave when the car is done...

MECP... funny thing Derek pace just visited the place i install for here in hawaii... Honestly I think people with MECP become close minded to a backyard DIY's... That's why at our shop, though the owner is first class MECP certified, He tends to hire people that let their work do the talking and not some paper !!

Edited by theabunai