Sign in to follow this  
JazzScreamer

Low Bass Missing

Well, I've installed a complete new system in a friends SUV (minus a headunit). Everything is going great and just trying to tweak thinks a bit. One thing that is real obvious is the low bass extension. Is this a problem with having a LOC instead of an aftermarket unit. I have heard that this can be a problem in my situation.

Is there a cure for this? I would like her to have full range capabilities. Thanks.

I have heard of stock HU's cutting out the bottom frequencies so maybe you need an aftermarket one

Is there any other way to get that low extension? This is not my car, and my friend love's the H/U, mainly because it has navigation on it. Would a better LOC be an option. I installed a Sven by Periferal (I think that's the name of it). Thank you again.

I've seen lots of frequency response plots for LOCs that show the low end roll-off horribly.

what kinda car is it? i know some sysyems are broken down like say SAAB, it has i like 12 or 8 speakers and there all crossed over from the H/u, so if you LOC say the MID speaker then you will get a mid sound from your subs, also check the polarity, into the LOC and from your amp to subs, an easy way to check is to un hook one sub, and if it plays hard then ur + and - are crossed,

thats what i would think,

Ok, here what the system is...

2007 Ford Edge

Has the upgraded system (what ever that is). I did come with a factory sub. (8" POS)

Stock HU

LOC is Periferal SVEN 4 channel

1 pair AA Poly's

1 pair SEAS textile tweets

I used the front and rear speakers for signal to the aftermarket LOC. The RCA's from there go to the Zed Minilith. The signal is split at the Minilith to also go to the Sundown 100.4.

I believe the factory sub has five wires at the HU that went to the factory amp. Could I install another LOC using the sub signals from the HU or would the LOC cut out some of the lower sub signal? Just food for thought.

wait so you didnt put your sub LOC on the wires going to the sub?... yeah do that, thats the oly way to roll,

just gotta figure out witch is ur signel out 0f the 5

The subwoofer output is amplified, so make sure the output voltage is within the voltage range the LOC can operate.

I'm still convinced it is the LOCs doing though.

I don't know if this matters, but the LOC is adjustable. This could help with the sub signal. I try that out in the next couple of days. Thanks again.

it does but its to lower the input, not raise it,

and there is no fakin the funk when it comes to having a good H/U

you can have the best speakers and amps around but if your powering it with a walkmen then you can only expect so much, and i hear ya about the navagation and yadda yadda, but the pioneer NC3 i think it is, is a nice h/u with navgation, and its a year old or so you can get a deal on ebay,

my 2 cent

Try playing test tones and see at what frequency it is audible lower. Luckily that should be about your 3dB point and also the point that the system starts its rolloff. At that point you can check with the LOC manufacturer and see if it correlates to their rolloff or if it is headunit induced.

*assumes that your box is okay and not the cause

those stock units suck so bad...my buddy spent all this money on a nice stereo in his LS and the bass isn't what it should be

one of my buddies has an RX-8 and he ended up getting a JL Audio Cleansweep for signal processing and does not lack i nthe low end whatsoever

i'd do an aftermarket HU but if that isn't a choice, i'd suggest an OEM integration like the Cleansweep or RF 3Sixty, although the downside to the cleansweep is that if you use it, you have to amp everything...highs and lows...not sure about the 3sixty though

yes i forgot all about that one too...plus audiocontrols has a few EQs that have high level inputs that could work too

all depends

i ahve heard good things about the Jl clean sweep, but thay are pricey, also i have used one i think its calle ferighight, ummmm its green.. a 4 channel is like 75 bucks or so,