Sign in to follow this  
LittleMatt

Underpowering a sub

is it possible for a subwoofer that is being underpowered actaully blow or rather screw something up. Im just woundering if it could happen

nope. if that was the case, every time you turn the volume down, you would screw your speakers up :)

that misconception came about by people using for example a 200w amp on a 500w sub and sending a clipped signal to the speaker therefore blowing it.

To clarify what flakko said, you really need to look at the average power delivered as if it exceeds the woofers power handling (either mechanical or thermally) you will ruin the driver. In the case of a fully clipped signal on a 200w amp it will be putting out more average power than a 400w playing a nice sine tone. So the short answer is yes to your question, but only if the person operating it is a complete retard and runs really clipped. Had you used the word "average" before your underpowered statement the answer would be a definitive no you cannot blow a sub when the average power is less than it can handle.

little off topic, but what flakko said about every time you turn the volume down, it would have the same effect. What about with an amp? you hear about "underpower" but does that really mean to keep the amp at RMS all the time? it's not making sense.

Amps output their "RMS" power about 1% of the time they are in use, unless you listen to tones all the time...

Ok, lets say I was to upgrade amps with plans of upgrading subs in the future. But my current subs will only take the amp with the gains at...say 20%, would that hurt it?

if you arent clipping the amp, or going past the subs mechanical/thermal capabilities then no.

Ok, lets say I was to upgrade amps with plans of upgrading subs in the future. But my current subs will only take the amp with the gains at...say 20%, would that hurt it?

As long as you are smart, I'd encourage that sort of headroom. Yummy. If you are dumb, kiss your subs goodbye.

As long as you are smart, I'd encourage that sort of headroom. Yummy. If you are dumb, kiss your subs goodbye.

Well, I'm not dumb. I agree with the desire for that kind of headroom, but it needs to be done with care. I just never understood why people talked about "underpowering" a sub or amp. Undervoltage, yes, but not underpowering. Thanks guys!

The people that talk about "underpowering" assume that everyone wants what they want, max volume. They think that if the amp is only capable of delivering half the rated power of the sub then the sub is underpowered. A sub is only underpowered if it has potential to take more power and get louder and it isn't loud enough for you. I ran a XXX 12 for quite some time on an amp that couldn't deliver 25% of the rated power of the sub. It was more than loud enough for me and sounded excellent. I "upgraded" amps 2x to run more power on the sub and other than the ability to get a little louder on the top end there was no difference.

The same people think that unless you are running the amp balls out all the time you are wasting it, too. Most of these people wouldn't recognize actual quality sound if it showed ID before it kicked them in the junk.

Talk to Jim about the sound quality that can be had from a tiny amount of power.

I wasn't implying that you were dumb, but did want to point out the potential for catastrophe. I too like helotaxi have run amps with way less than the rated power of a driver and didn't need anymore.