emperorjj1

Emp dual alt pics

thought i would finally upload some pics... so here it is the first dual alt cobalt. The alt is currently out of the car thou because i decided to get a chrome pulley instead of the gold pulley... im also waiting on getting a gm stage 2 performance package to get a smaller supercharger pulley to get the belt to fit.

cobaltaltbracket.JPG

positioning_brackets.JPG

positioning_brackets2.JPG

new_alternator3.JPG

Let me know how well that core support holds up with all that metal removed. :drink40:

Do yourself a favor and throw some paint on those cut edges also. You'll get rust developing before you know it, and it'll seep inbetween those pinch welds.

ya i got the touch up paint for those edges... but over all most of the support didnt look liek it came from that part where we cut and from what ive herd cobalts dont have great front crash ratings anyway

do you need a special wiring harness to add a 2nd alt ???

Edited by Lord Baccus

Can you answer my question?

more power... my stock 105 amp alt isnt going to do quite enough for my t30001bd sub amp and even if they made high output alts for the 2.0 ss supercharged (which i haven't seen a reputable company do so) i would probably loose a bit of idle power. Either way a 245a alt plus the 105 is going to give me the most power... not including the fact that the new alt is externally regulated so im getting a 16v charging system and keeping all my idle power and my car should never die from the system (haven't figured out how im going to wire all the highs amps thou)

nope

so i can jump the stater wire from 1 alt to the other & run the positives on 2nd alt to the positive terminal on the battery ?

Edited by Lord Baccus

nope

so i can jump the stater wire from 1 alt to the other & run the positives on 2nd alt to the positive terminal on the battery ?

If I remember correctly it would have a single small diamater power lead that connects the starter battery to the second alt for the external regulator. Then the power wire from the alternator would be hooked to a seperate set of battery(s) to allow the two charging systems to be completly seperate (16v and 12v dont mix in car electronics)

more power... my stock 105 amp alt isnt going to do quite enough for my t30001bd sub amp and even if they made high output alts for the 2.0 ss supercharged (which i haven't seen a reputable company do so) i would probably loose a bit of idle power. Either way a 245a alt plus the 105 is going to give me the most power... not including the fact that the new alt is externally regulated so im getting a 16v charging system and keeping all my idle power and my car should never die from the system (haven't figured out how im going to wire all the highs amps thou)

Either get amps that support 16v for the high freqs or run those amps on your 12v system.

i missed something ?

i thought he was running 2 of the same alt's ???

i did not know he was doing a 12v & a 16v ?

my bad

Either get amps that support 16v for the high freqs or run those amps on your 12v system.

thats the beauty of it... the batteries im using are hc16v with the 3 post... so i can put the entire audio system on the secondary charging system (while keeping the highs amps at 12v) but my dilema is trying to keep everything running smoothly. The 2 16v batts and the 245a alt is enough to keep the sub amp happy but if i start adding more on to that its eventually going to strain a bit plus i would be wasting the upgraded battery and wiring on the stock system. My main goal is to prevent voltage loss as best as i can and im pretty sure i have enough power with both alts and 3 batterys to do so but im unsure on how the best way to approch it to get that goal. One of the main problems im looking at facing is the way the highs amps are going to be mounted and all im not going to be able to play around with it easily. So all that wiring is going to be semi permanant

i missed something ?

i thought he was running 2 of the same alt's ???

i did not know he was doing a 12v & a 16v ?

my bad

ya sry im using my stock alt along with an externally regulated ohio gen for my second alt

and 8 months later the beast actually works....

Took a few pics of the finished work. Due to not being able to find the correct sized belt we had to add 2 idler pulleys to take up some slack.... Unfortunately that left only 2 options on routing of the belt around those pulleys. Going under the first pulley would have allowed more belt area on the AC but the belt would end up hitting the metal support... Going under the first pulley ultimately reduced the belt coverage on the AC even more but cleared everything up top. We tested the AC running and there really isn't any slippage. Mind you this is still "freshly finished" so the next few weeks will be keeping it slow and popping the hood often. And with that hopefully ill be lucky and be issue free for a long time.

finsihed_alt_1.jpg

finsihed_alt_2.jpg

Let me know how well that core support holds up with all that metal removed. :drink40:

Do yourself a favor and throw some paint on those cut edges also. You'll get rust developing before you know it, and it'll seep inbetween those pinch welds.

I suppose if he add a strut in there and cover up with the paint i dont see why it would fail. cars now-a-day are made out of tin can anyway

Im wondering if Tirefryr gets an i told ya so?....

i just got in my first wreck today. driving to work an old lady pulled out of a parking lot right in front of me. i slammed the brake and swerved but couldn't avoid it. sucks

103_0101.jpg

103_0102.jpg

103_0103.jpg

103_0104.jpg

103_0105.jpg

103_0106.jpg

103_0107.jpg

103_0108.jpg

103_0109.jpg

103_0110.jpg

103_0111.jpg

103_0112.jpg

Edited by EmperorJJ1

thats the beauty of it... the batteries im using are hc16v with the 3 post... so i can put the entire audio system on the secondary charging system (while keeping the highs amps at 12v) but my dilema is trying to keep everything running smoothly. The 2 16v batts and the 245a alt is enough to keep the sub amp happy but if i start adding more on to that its eventually going to strain a bit plus i would be wasting the upgraded battery and wiring on the stock system. My main goal is to prevent voltage loss as best as i can and im pretty sure i have enough power with both alts and 3 batterys to do so but im unsure on how the best way to approch it to get that goal. One of the main problems im looking at facing is the way the highs amps are going to be mounted and all im not going to be able to play around with it easily. So all that wiring is going to be semi permanant

so u have 3 hc16v batteries and 2 alty. 1 for 12v system to a hc16v and the other external voltage regulator alty to the other 2 hc16v?

suks about ur axe a dent

Edited by money_inc

nah i only have 2 of em on the ohio gen. the stock battery was replaced with a caquest NGT extreme

nah i only have 2 of em on the ohio gen. the stock battery was replaced with a caquest NGT extreme

gotcha. I also run 16v. tried different setups and all performed the same. but now, i run a hc16v under the hood and 2 batcap 8400 16v in the back. all an a ea alt

What amps u running 16v?

Edited by money_inc