Viperoni

MAW12 for my friend

So my friend with an 04 Ion RL wants a sub, and he wants it to fit in a sonotube, and have a pair of PVC ports come out the back, and along the bottom. We'll router out end plates that will act as supports for the sonotube/port, giving it a nice, finished kinda look.

As for box sizes, the max we can fit is about 24" depth, which gives me about 1.4cf net driver volume. 4" PVC ports of course.

400 watts RMS off a JL e1400 amp.

I'm thinking about tuning it to 35hz, which gives me a good balance between low end extension, bump, and port length (my biggest enemy right now, at 35hz they need to be 33" long).

Anybody else have experience with these subs ported?

It did well for the short stint I had it in the 2.0@27hz box. I put it back in my daily scooter last night for the time being, but in a sealed 1.1. It is very punchy and clean (might throw a little stuffing in), still not broken in fully.

Thanks!

1.4 does seem a bit on the small side, but it models well in ISD online and in LSPCad, so I think we're gonna go ahead with that.

Not sure if we *really* need a pair of 4" ports, but they would look good ;)

1 4" aero is fine.

i installed one in my younger brother's Quad Cab Ram in a ~2.2ft^3 tuned to 34Hz. Box is a little too big, if I had to build it again, I would go smaller.

1.4ft^3 tuned to 35Hz would be fine IMO.

I would do more than a single 4" port unless you flare it properly. I get a bit of noise out of mine at higher outputs levels.

nice sub box....I like how you implemented those ports

Thanks, it was about the only way to work them in.

I still haven't heard the sub either, I've been so busy with work and such :-\

External port ftw. Math gets super easy that way :)

External port ftw. Math gets super easy that way :)

Haha true!

I finally got to listen to the sub, and honestly guys, I'm impressed! It's punchy enough, but still goes deep enough, and handles complicated basslines pretty well too.

Sneaker pimp's spin spin sugar bassline came through nice and cleanly, along with a couple other house tracks I listened too.

SPL capability was DEFINETELY there too, the ports really let the sub breathe and honestly, with a higher tuning, I could see this bad boy pulling off a pretty good number. Right now, 1.5cf @ ~33hz, 400 watts RMS, I can see it laying down a 135-138.

I can't wait to install my MTX 2150x amp (~400 watts RMS @ 4ohms), borrow the sub off my friend for a couple days and hear how it really goes off :D

That's a real cool design Rudy. I love it! :D

That gives me some ideas......

Oh that box is way cool!

:+1: