gentlejax

where are your gains on your Zed amps?

I have read a million different posts on the various ways to set it....but ....I just wanted to get an idea where you guys have yours set at....

I am running a Pioneer 880prs 5 volt deck and the gain is currently straight up 12 O'clock position or halfway....

I havnt had it installed a week yet and barely spent any time in it yet....so its still in adjust phase but I at this moment can turn the deck up to max volume and its not distorting to me...so I am wondering if I can turn the gains any more or if I am already past where it should be at...

I really hate amps not having clipping indicators ...it would be much easier to set with them

ok...I feel better...dont want to blow up my Drac as it might be 4 sale in near future when i get my outlaw back..........

I don't think you can blow your amp if you set the gains too high.

maybe so but something can be damaged ..nothing is impossible...I try to be careful rather than stupid

if you have the gain to high it can cause clipping which wil cause voltage spikes and to much current going through the amp can fry transistors real quick.

Mine are at zero. Not installed yet. ;)

My minis are maxed, but my HU is really weak pre-amp outs. Deuce is about 12 o clock, was much lower with my old Kenwood with t he 5V pre-outs.

My minis are maxed, but my HU is really weak pre-amp outs. Deuce is about 12 o clock, was much lower with my old Kenwood with t he 5V pre-outs.

Mine are at 0, using an eclipse 8053 with the bal. Do you think it could hurt my amps, the bal puts out 10volts to the amps. So if I turned my headunit all the way up it would be over volting the amp by 2volts. Had no problems so far for over a year, but would like any thoughts.

Mine are at 0, using an eclipse 8053 with the bal. Do you think it could hurt my amps, the bal puts out 10volts to the amps. So if I turned my headunit all the way up it would be over volting the amp by 2volts. Had no problems so far for over a year, but would like any thoughts.

The protect circuits in the Zed amps are pretty good, so the amp would probalby be safe (why push it though?), but speakers will roast pretty fast with a clipped signal.

If you have 8V pre amp going into them, you're probably right to have the gains all the way down.

with the 8053 you're putting out 8v, if you're using a BLA you're putting out 8v. the BLA does not increase output voltage.

if you're running balanced in to the amp you're running 16v, but i'm pretty sure the zeds don't accept balanced inputs.

with the 8053 you're putting out 8v, if you're using a BLA you're putting out 8v. the BLA does not increase output voltage.

if you're running balanced in to the amp you're running 16v, but i'm pretty sure the zeds don't accept balanced inputs.

Here are the specs for the BLA (37601):

Supply Voltage: 13.8V DC (10.8 ~ 15.6V)

Current Consumption Approx: 0.25A max

Frequency Response: 20 ~30.000Hz,

show me a pic of you with the DMM on it putting out 10v.

but either way that makes no difference at all. That's the absolute max it'll ever do. i prefer to have my gains up a little on my amp whether it's needed or not, usually less than a quarter but it takes a little of the responsibility off the HU.

You'd be surprised how fast the voltage rolls off when you turn down the knob one notch at a time. Log scales ftw.

Guest zedman
my 510DR the gains aare about 1/3

Is that a coustic amp?

Last I checked, my USA 2075 is at approx 1/3.