Sign in to follow this  
basshead08

port size!?

I am going to build a box for a 12" bl or a q. My interior box volume (after subtracting speaker displacement) is 2.1 cu. ft. What kind of port and what dimensions do you guys think I should use . I haven't decided which sub I'm gonna buy yet. Also feel free to leave some feedback on the two subs (is there really a huge sq loss with the bl or is there a substantial bass level loss with the q)

Edited by basshead08

Do you have 2.1^3 total to work with or will that be after the displacement of the port? Also, what is your desired tuning frequency? If you add a port to that box it will be too small unless you do it externally. You could put in a 4" Aeroport, but it would still be right at minimum size.

If you are trying to do some street beating the BL would be your choice. What type of music do you listen to?

Do you have 2.1^3 total to work with or will that be after the displacement of the port? Also, what is your desired tuning frequency? If you add a port to that box it will be too small unless you do it externally. You could put in a 4" Aeroport, but it would still be right at minimum size.

If you are trying to do some street beating the BL would be your choice. What type of music do you listen to?

that is before the port displacement. I really don't know a whole lot about tuning frequencies. I listen to mostly rap just because it has the best bass, but I have had all out spl type subs (kicker solo x) and they didn't sound good, just loud. If possible I want the best of both worlds.

Ok I just reworked my design a little bit and got it to 2.45 cubic feet before subtracting port displacement. Also is either of these subs heavy enough that I would need to double face the box?

Edited by basshead08

24sq"of port area, tuned to about 32hz will put u at about 1.9cubes net....u shouldnt have to double the baffle...it wouldnt hurt, but i wouldnt say its neccesary...

24sq"of port area, tuned to about 32hz will put u at about 1.9cubes net....u shouldnt have to double the baffle...it wouldnt hurt, but i wouldnt say its neccesary...

I don't understand how to tune a box. Should the port be round or rectangular? and how deep should it go into the box? Also Can anyone give me advice on the questions I had about the subs earlier? I hate to be a pest but I have always used kicker and other highly commercialized brands. Until two days ago I had never heard of FI but from what I have heard from this and other forums I can't wait to hear what they've got. Thanks again guys.

how deep into the box should they go? I don't know why it posted that twice but also will that port design work with both the Q12 and the BL12?

Edited by basshead08

I have decided to definitely go with the dual 2 ohm 12" BL. Can anyone tell me how long the two 4 inch ports should be and would it be a good idea to use polyfil in the box? I have heard some guys use it to "trick" the sub into performing like it is in a larger enclosure.

Sign in to follow this