Sign in to follow this  
Captain Kev

New Havoc 12

My new Havoc 12 came in today. I don't have a box built yet soI will post listening results tomorrow or Thursday. This sub seems to be built very well. It is very beefy. The packaging wasn't too great, but it arrived safely. The only thing is one spring terminal is sticking. I think that will be easily fixable though. Here are a few pics for your enjoyment.

Ebay002-1.jpg

Ebay003.jpg

Ebay004.jpg

Ebay005.jpg

Very attractive driver.

what the hell kind of pop is that?

Nice sub.

Nice sub.

I have the 1st gen Arsenal 12 and I've been thinking about upgrading to the Havoc 12. That thing looks nasty as hell...love it.

BTW, what's the mounting depth?

I'm just not sure if I want to fork over a good amount of cash for a new sub set-up right now. I was thinking about powering it with the Sundown SAE-1000D so the total cost would be a little over $700.

I'm looking forward to your review.

Edited by headknocker

Nice sub.

What the hell is pop? Everything down here is called coke or beer....................J/K It's a local store brand.

Put it in 1.6 cubes sealed today. I'm building a 2.4 @ 32hz later this evening. I haven't had much experience with 12's or SQ setups, so bear with me. I'm still used to listening to the Solo X and BTLs so don't get your hopes up about an audiophile quality review.

On rock the kick drums have a good kick to the chest and it can keep up with the double-kick easily. I love listening to it play System of Down-Hypnotize. I've heard notes in some songs that I never knew existed. It's not boomy, but has a very smooth bottom end. It will also play on up into the 80hz range with no problems if that's what you like. I haven't heard any tinsel slap either.

Rap. Not much to say about it. It gets pretty loud. Still alot more punch than I'm used to, but that should mellow out when I go to the ported box. It is lacking a little on the low end, but this is probably because: 1) It hasn't broken in yet. 2) I'm used to 15's and 18's.

I will have a head to head sealed vs. ported review tomorrow.

Found the low notes. Ported works way better for my listening preferences. It really hits the low notes with authority now. It has the deep rumble that I was looking for. I can't wait to see what it will do when it breaks in. I still have quite a bit of tuning to do as well as cleaning up the install. I have a feeling another Havoc will be coming my way in a month or two. Unfortunately I don't a have local car audio shop with a mic nearby. I will get it metered as soon as possible to see what it will do.

Sounds like another happy Ascendant sub owner. :)

Hows it do with that amp? Does it ever get close to the limits of its suspension?

I'm running it at 2ohms on the amp. It does pretty good, but I think I can hear it bottoming out at the clipping limit. I was reading about 55V w/ my DMM when I heard a strange mechanical noise. It wasn't popping so maybe someone here can tell me if that's "bottoming out" or just mech noise. Unfortunately the only camera I have is cell phone so here is a low quailty vid at almost full excursion.

th_02-02-08_2042.jpg

I am confused, it is a dual 2 ohm sub, how are you running it at 2ohms?

It's not. It's a Dual 1. Check out his sig.

Could the mech noise possibly be tinsel slap?

I've heard one person having that with the 18...

It is a Dual 1ohm sub. Scott hooked me up with it.

I'm not completely sure what it is. I think I'm going to take it out of the box and free-air it to see if I can pinpoint it.

I'm not completely sure what it is. I think I'm going to take it out of the box and free-air it to see if I can pinpoint it.

Oh ok, great. :)

I have sig's turned off, just too much scrolling for all the pages I have to view.

Oh ok, great. :)

I have sig's turned off, just too much scrolling for all the pages I have to view.

Yeah that's a good idea. Those things can get very annoying if they are too long.

I have a havoc 18, and I tracked mechanical noise to tinsel slap. I have a saz1500d on mine, and I get some seriously disgusting excursion, and never bottomed it. I have freaked out some people that have been into car audio a while with the stroke of this bad boy!! I tried wrapping my tinsels in carpet that was glued together, but it fell off. I am still trying to figure out how to get rid of my slap.

I was thinking about that problem of tinsel slap, and I thought that a possible solution could be memory foam, you know that stuff that tempur pedic beds are made of.

you could cut a slit in it and put it around the lead and then glue/melt the foam together. That would def be sufficient cushioning...

Sign in to follow this