Sign in to follow this  
///M5

Active Crossover for home use

First my goals. As soon as possible I need to test a subwoofer at home, my sub output on my receiver just took a dump but conveniently I have Front L/R outputs so I can still use it as a receiver and then use the offboard proc to control my sub. This will be temporary and then the processor will be used to control my front mains and subwoofer. I would like flexibility for the future as it will be a test bench to play with slopes, points and such previous to building any passives. Also for general trouble shooting and dicking around with drivers. I would like to be able to run a full 3 way mains stereo pair and subwoofers if possible....if I have to lose something it would be the subwoofer control as obviously I can add this in the amplification stage of the subwoofer, although a single box solution would be sweet.

I thought I would start a thread, as I haven't looked all that much into 110v processing and would like to make a good decision.

Current options: (show me more please! especially if there are some with more than 6 outputs)

Behringer DCX2496 ~ $200 is an option but considering the noise issues and signal degradation of the past Behringer units I am looking for other options.

dbx Driverack PA ~$500 should be better quality, only 2 inputs so could never be used for 3chn home theater,

BBE DS48 4 input 8 output ~$450 no idea on the quality here or flexibility as the website has crap for info

of course there are analog units like

Ashly XR2001 ~$370

Marchand

and so on. Personally I would really prefer computer control.

Really I guess the goal is to talk me in or out of the Behringer. It does so much for so little I am having a hard time with it.

I like my DCX alright, I've debated a couple of times on selling it and getting something better but never really got around to it...

Little tidbit about the DCX unit from an amp engineer at QSC.

"The DCX is an ok piece IMO. Lots of capbilities and decent hardware. The the filter algorithms aren't that great; at low levels the curve stop following the rolloff characteristics you choose. I think it starts deforming the curve about -50dBFS."

Out of the ones you listed, I've heard good things with the DriveRack and Marchand units.

Try the DriveRack 260 instead of the PA. Pass on the BBE, they get a little hissy sometimes. And of course.. don't do the Behringer if at all possible.

Try the Ashly Protea 3.24CL (3x6 digital), for analog the XR stuff is nice, just a little limited on what you can do with them.

Rane also has some nice older analog gear in the AC-23, AC-22 and the AC-22B.

And then the cream of the crop is something from BSS. Like an OmniDrive.

I used to have a Rane AC22, never a hint of a noise issue.

Thinking about buying one again soon...

I used to have a Rane AC22, never a hint of a noise issue.

Thinking about buying one again soon...

I "need" more than a 2 way :(

Try the DriveRack 260 instead of the PA. Pass on the BBE, they get a little hissy sometimes. And of course.. don't do the Behringer if at all possible.

Try the Ashly Protea 3.24CL (3x6 digital), for analog the XR stuff is nice, just a little limited on what you can do with them.

Rane also has some nice older analog gear in the AC-23, AC-22 and the AC-22B.

And then the cream of the crop is something from BSS. Like an OmniDrive.

Ok, love the recommendations but can't say the same about the hit you are putting on my wallet potentially.

Behr - $200

DriveRack 260 $1k

Ashly 3.24CL $800

The AC23 will probably do what I need for $450...but will I dislike myself in the future for not spending the extra dough now?

The Drive rack 260 can be had on ebay for under $700. It gives you independent control of each output (none of that stereo shit that the PA makes you do).

Check these out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BSS-FDS-340-3-or-4-WAY...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bss-FDS-360-Crossover-...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/BSS-FDS-360-FDS-360-Cr...7QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for the warning on the PA, I had no idea.

I am not sure if the ZED built pro and home units are ready yet or not.

I bet those are cheap heh.

I saw the website, but I cannot remember the name of the company. Very attractive website, and IIRC there were some pretty impressive specs on the units too.