djjdnap

windows service pack 2

i downloaded it and it wouldn't let me connect to the net. It kept sayin i had a loss of conectivity. And when i clicked on the repair button it wouldn't work and it said contact my network advisor.

?????

I am downloading now. Hopefully not the same fate. But if you are not on the net, how are you posting?

:rolleyes: i uninstalled it :P

Works like a charm for me. I feel sorry for anyone on dial-up. Total download size was over 90 meg! It was about 25 minutes for me to download and install everything.

yea me 2, well maybe a bit less but, u see what i'm talkin about the lan setting? It tells me i have a low conectivity or something like that and i can't connect. i might try it again later, idk.

I haven't had the same problem you have, but now I have this annoying Windows Security Center icon that I can't get rid of because I don't use automatic updates, automatic liveupdate, or turn my anti-virus on when the computer starts ...

Well, I would have my anti-virus turn on automatically, but it's a piece of shit ... it doesn't work when you set it to start on windows startup ... So you have to do it manually ...

And I don't like auto liveupdate or automatic updates because it'll start doing shit while you're doing something and, sometimes, makes you restart while you're in the middle of something ...

I haven't had the same problem you have, but now I have this annoying Windows Security Center icon that I can't get rid of because I don't use automatic updates, automatic liveupdate, or turn my anti-virus on when the computer starts ...

Well, I would have my anti-virus turn on automatically, but it's a piece of chit ... it doesn't work when you set it to start on windows startup ... So you have to do it manually ...

And I don't like auto liveupdate or automatic updates because it'll start doing chit while you're doing something and, sometimes, makes you restart while you're in the middle of something ...

set it to download and prompt you to install rather than install automaticlly.

Regardless, it will still come up because my Anti-Virus doesn't turn on when I boot up the computer :P

I usually check it every few days anyways, so it's not like I need it on ... I just hate crappy, unneeded icons that take up resources ...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

The above is the full install, it's directly from the Microsoft site. It's pretty big for those not on broadband or with small broadband connections.

Only took me 3Minutes though :P Bit of a huge pipe at home here though.

It's now installed and working just fine.

Although I don't use IE at all, the security centre there now recognizes my ZAP5 and my AVG AV7.0 I haven't had any issues as yet with it. I found a page on the microsoft site that lists all the existing programs that either don't work or are having trouble working with SP2. I'll see if I can find it tonight and post back.

Good luck to everyone using it. As 90% of the population dislikes Microsft anyway, don't be surprised if people keep telling you not to update to SP2 because it sucks. It works great and has just as many if not less problems than with any other software that is on the market today.

PS, why do I have the below under my name on the left??

Warn: (0%)

Edited by casscarr2002

PS, why do I have the below under my name on the left??

Warn: (0%)

Just testing out the new warn feature ... similar to the one on AIM I believe.

I highly doubt it'll get used on here, though. All of the members here are people who have come from other boards to get away from the, well, idiots :slayer:

- Steve

Service Pack 2 is an ugly beast. Microsoft has taken the stance that to avoid losing customers they must improve their security.

SP2 definetly increases the security (until something new comes out to exploit it) but changes the default settings and the security of the kernal OS. However, due to the more drastic changes, compared to a simple update you get off of windowsupdate, the operating system's functionality changes.

Long story short:

+ Don't download on anything less than DSL/Cable

+ Beware of the changes made to your system

- common problems including those listed above - most likely: lost internet connectivity.

!! - if this occurs I would uninstall SP2, cause it will be more trouble to fix than its worth (GOOD NEWS - at work we tried to upgrade on some test XP boxes, and ran into the same problem :thud: )

+ If it works first time, let SP2 do its thang

Regardless, it will still come up because my Anti-Virus doesn't turn on when I boot up the computer :P

I usually check it every few days anyways, so it's not like I need it on ... I just hate crappy, unneeded icons that take up resources ...

I was referring to it popping up and installing stuff and making you reboot int eh middle of something. if you set it to download automaticlly and prompt you to install you won't have to reboot in the middle of something. didnt say it would stop the popup.

actually u can download the stuff and when it ask u to reboot, just click on the x tab to close it instead of ok. :rolleyes:

I am really hesitant to install SP2, so many people with problems

Most people I know didn't have problems and I certainly didn't ... The security benefits are well worth any potential risks, IMO.

The only things I don't like are ...

1) Pop-up stopper is too good. It won't let any windows pop-up, including the PM windows on all forums I'm at.

2) It made me turn automatic updates on to get rid of that annoying icon

I just dl'ed it this morning and I have no problems...yet (ok we need a finger cross smiley).

I have noticed that it does take an extra minute or two to start up the computer now, but that's about it...and oh yeah, I haven't had any pop-ups yet either.

I spent 3 hours yesterday tryign figure out why my shit was messed up. Then just uninstalled SP2 and it's working like a charm again.