Sign in to follow this  
FocusedOnSound

Getting some new subs

I'm sure everyone here has had those times when they just get bored and wanna try a different set-up. It's hit me too. Right now I have a 15" Mag D2 in a 3.25 ported enclosure powered by a Hifonics 1205d (putting out about 1000wrms@1ohm). I am trying to get rid of the mag to try a different set-up, I wanted to do 2-12's. I will have around $220-240 to work with, but if i can get away cheaper I will. They two subs I was deciding between were the Type-R's and those MB quarts that woofersetc has on sale for $99.MB quarts

What are some other good options in this price range? I will probably use the same amp and box size isn't much of an issue (up to 5 cuft shouldn't be hard to fit), They will be going in a Focus ZX3

Why would you step down to Type-R's over the Mag? Why not try a new box or a new amp first?

I really didnt think it would be a big step down, but then again I know jack sh*t. I wanted to try a sealed enclosure but not lose SPL. Thats why I was thinking of dropping to 2-12's.

Why not just seal the Mag? It'll have more output sealed than two Type-R 12's sealed will.

Guest zedman

But there are variables you are not taking into account.

really? I thought that 24" of cone area vs 15" would make a big difference

Never taken geometry I assume?

2 12"s will have ~226 in^2 of surface area

1 15" will have ~177 in^2 of surface area

really? I thought that 24" of cone area vs 15" would make a big difference

Never taken geometry I assume?

2 12"s will have ~226 in^2 of surface area

1 15" will have ~177 in^2 of surface area

People don't realize this.

I do realize that, that is why I was saying that the 2-12's will have a larger area. I figured that such a large increase of surface area would greatly contribute to more output, but I do not know nearly as much about car audio as others. What are some of the other factors that will apparently makes the 15 louder than 2-12's

I do realize that, that is why I was saying that the 2-12's will have a larger area. I figured that such a large increase of surface area would greatly contribute to more output, but I do not know nearly as much about car audio as others. What are some of the other factors that will apparently makes the 15 louder than 2-12's

The Mag is just a far better sub than the Type-R

And you were correct in assuming 2 12"s have more surface area than 1 15" but it's not because 24>15.

ok well i guess that seals the deal, unless i wanna be stupid. I really do love the mag too. I've just had the same set up for nearly 3 years and wanted to change it up. but I would be pretty pissed if it didn't sound as good, which according to y'alls, it wont. Thanks

Id take 1 15 Mag over 2 12 Type-rs everyday, twice on Tuesdays.

Better all around.

^

| x2

:+1:

So change it up by building a new box. Once you ahve a woofer that is of the quality of the Mag that is the best change-up you can do.

So change it up by building a new box. Once you have a woofer that is of the quality of the Mag that is the best change-up you can do.

This is becoming a thread of agreement, lol.

What right now are you not happy with? What about the mag makes you want to change it? Is it output or sound quality?

It's not that im not happy with any parts of it. I just never really had another decent set-up and wanted to see how something else sounds (wow it sounds like im talking about a girl here). Maybe looking for a little more punch in rock. It sounds awesome with rap and techno, but seems to lack a little quick punch and tends to sound boomier with rock music.

like mentioned already keep the Mag 15, it'll get louder sealed than two type r 12's sealed, and still be more accurate(punchy). When it comes to sealed boxes subwoofers with more displacement tend to get louder in sealed boxes. To determine a subs displacement you would take the "sd" and multiply it by the "xmax" than multiply by 2. So that would mean the type r 12 displaces 1.75L while the Mag 15 displaces 4.21L, so even with two type r 12's, one Mag 15 displaces more than two type r 12's. So the Mag has the ability to get louder while sounding cleaner in a sealed box. I would recommend around 2.8cf sealed after displacement.

stick with the mag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know 3 people who have type r's who wish they wouldent have bought them, two of them have them for sale and cant sell them!

I had the new style Type R and it sounded like $hit. Tried it small sealed, large sealed and large ported. It sounded like small $hit, Large $hit and ported $hit. Stick with the Mag. I currently run a 15(TC Sounds TC3K) sealed and I love it! It gets loud, goes low, and it quite accurate. If you want more "punch", go sealed and beef up your front end midbass.

i heard 1 15 type r in about 2.5 cubes tuned at 35 hrz with 1200 watts and it wasent bad.. i would not trade my bl for one.. but its not that bad