Chevy350TPI

Need Your Advice

Purpose:

To purchase a vehicle 1-3 years old so I'm not the one who has to swallow the bulk of the depreciation;

to purchase a vehicle that is comfortable for monthly (at minimum) 1200 km trips on the highway (through lots of snow in the winter).

Narrowed it down to:

Cadillac CTS w/ 3.6L

Dodge Charger R/T w/ 5.7L

Both rated similarly in terms of gas mileage and I would make use of the MDS on the Dodge. Love the comfort of the Cadillac but the interior is a little plain. The Charger makes me feel a little younger and the extra 100hp is attractive, albeit fuel consuming. Tough choice.

Thoughts, opinions, experiences? Would love to hear what you guys have to say - especially if you have heard or experienced any problems.

And before I even hear about it ...

1200 km = 745 mile

Well at $4.10/gal ~ Canadian gas price now, $1.08 liter

total miles 745*52 = 38,740/yr

Yearly gas bill

$10,515 @ 15mpg

$7885 @ 20mpg

$6309 @ 25mpg

$5257 @ 30mpg

Normally I am not a big fan of shopping via gas price, but considering the mileage you are putting on it may make some sense to take it into account as it will even compensate some repairs.

Thanks for that link.

Fuel economy is not a huge issue although it is something that clearly needs to be considered. As long as I get around 17+/27+ I'll be happy. Anything beats the trucks.

I don't expect gas to drop any ... if anything, it'll go through the roof (even more) this coming summer. Who knows.

Of these 2 choices I say caddy.

The CTS is awesome. I would find the most recent used one with nothing for miles and go with it.

If you can look around and wait a bit you will find some guy defaulting on his '09 cts soon enough and I would swoop that up toot sweet, and pay a good chunk under and no new car/gas tax... I don't knwo if that applies in canada but here gas tax can be killer.

Shouldn't be a guzzler tax on that car, but definitely used ftw. CA might be the place to look as people who lose their houses also have to sell their cars. There is a large percentage of the population in that state that mortgage the hell out of everything and it is biting them in the arse now.

i also say cts, but why not the v? not wanting a 6spd car?

to me the charger is plain, whether r/t or not. the car is just plain ugly. the cts is a bit different and not everybody owns one. around here all you see is chargers and 300s on 22s. and none of them are different.

but that's just me. plus noone can do hp and gas mileage like gm can. even if some of their fit and finish is a bit subpar.

but what do i know? i traded my truck on a mini cooper, lol

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

you know my vote goes to the CTS

You are voting v6 > v8? I know, I know a Caddy is a GM.

Not saying GM's interiors are spectacular, but I really hate the Charger's interior

the CTS exterior is far better looking too, IMO

And I chose to not support the mockery made of historic model names

CTS

My NCO has one and they got some ballz................decent fuel, and nice space. Fits another one of my NCO's in the BACK seat (with 2 average sized guys in front) and this one is 6'6 and about 250 and even he is comfy.

J

Of these 2 choices I say caddy.

The CTS is awesome. I would find the most recent used one with nothing for miles and go with it.

That is the plan ... with price factored in, it should be an '05 or '06.

to me the charger is plain, whether r/t or not. the car is just plain ugly. the cts is a bit different and not everybody owns one. around here all you see is chargers and 300s on 22s. and none of them are different.

but that's just me. plus noone can do hp and gas mileage like gm can. even if some of their fit and finish is a bit subpar.

You can't find a used V around here. I don't want to have to deal with a standard right now, either.

The only plus I see with the R/T is the HEMI ... I wouldn't mind the extra 100 hp and still maintain the same gas mileage. I have to keep in mind that this car is being bought to run around on the highway so 255 hp is plenty.

Not saying GM's interiors are spectacular, but I really hate the Charger's interior

the CTS exterior is far better looking too, IMO

And I chose to not support the mockery made of historic model names

I don't like the gauge faces of the Charger. I also don't like the seats ... way too plain and unsupportive for that trim as far as I'm concerned.

If I go with the CTS I will be ditching the stock grille and replacing it with the V style grille. Much nicer in my opinion.

CTS

My NCO has one and they got some ballz................decent fuel, and nice space. Fits another one of my NCO's in the BACK seat (with 2 average sized guys in front) and this one is 6'6 and about 250 and even he is comfy.

J

Always good to hear that they have lots of room. While I won't find myself in the back seat or care about anyone back there, if I recall correctly ... the CTS has a couple inches more legroom up front over the Charger which is always welcome on the long hauls.

I am going to see what sort of prices I can work with the Charger and go from there. If they won't budge from $25K+ I guess I will have to "settle" for the Caddy (ha!). Especially considering the CTS will probably wind up around $21-23K after I battle it out.

can't find a used cts v around, eh? but plenty or charger r/ts? go figure, lol.

i still vote for the v. but i'd settle for the cts, witht he v grille and the brembos that come on the v as well!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

can't find a used cts v around, eh? but plenty or charger r/ts? go figure, lol.

i still vote for the v. but i'd settle for the cts, witht he v grille and the brembos that come on the v as well!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Actually, they are having trouble finding me a used R/T right now as well - not many on dealer lots in BC or AB.

The CTS would be great for me with the V grille. Lots of used CTS's out there right now, but they are either a) 1-year lease returns maxed out mileage wise or b) have an exterior color other than black. I want that thing blacked out.

The used CST-V's are $33,000-$46,000 ... well above the target <$25,000. Since it'll be on the highway, 250hp is more than enough passing power and I'll take the non-V for gas mileage reasons.

Hopefully I can luck out pretty quick here and find a CTS. Even one without a couple options ... then just have them dealer installed.

Steve-0, I am sticking to my guns, I still vote A6 with the 2.8 V6. It think it would be a solid car, hold up better, ride well longer, and hold value after the mileage.

LINCOLN

i have the towing contract for the local chevy house...... Gm keeps my belly big if you know what i mean.........

Steve-0, I am sticking to my guns, I still vote A6 with the 2.8 V6. It think it would be a solid car, hold up better, ride well longer, and hold value after the mileage.

2.8 v6?? We paid <$16K for the w's 02 A6 with < 30k miles just a bit ago. The 2.8 was discontinued, in Steve's price range it is 3.0, 2.7 (NO), or 4.2. I too vote 3.0

2.8 v6?? We paid <$16K for the w's 02 A6 with < 30k miles just a bit ago. The 2.8 was discontinued, in Steve's price range it is 3.0, 2.7 (NO), or 4.2. I too vote 3.0

Ok I adjust my vote to A6 3.0V6. ;)

Used A6's are hard to come by here ... nevermind one with the 3.0.

ok, grab yourself a mini cooper s like we did. plenty of power, maintain their value extremely well, bigger inside then you'd think and just flat cool looking. and we get 30mpg too!

our 06 w jsut about every option and less then 5k in miles was in your price range as well.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I'm afraid it wouldn't be as good as the CTS on the highway in terms of overall comfort. At least if a moose walked out in front of me I would drive under it. I'm trying to find a big cruiser. Also, something good in the snow.

For Moose I recomment a Hummer

and not that bullshit H2 or H3

My kind of Hummer