Freebird

Sub position in truck?

Well, I just found out today that I'm gettin an '02 Dodge Dakota quad cab for graduation fing05.gif After doing a little searching, there are very few possibilities of having a sub in the truck and not losing any seating space in the rear of the cab (well actually only one - MTX thunderform, but I definitely don't like the looks of it).

So I plan to but a small sealed box in the middle of the floor in the rear, on the transmission hump. My question: does anyone have any experience with subs in trucks (mine in particular) and if there is any major difference in sound/output between up-firing, down-firing, forward, ect... I have read that downfiring is the way to go for sealed and honestly have no idea but I just wanted to see what some of you guys thought.

i put a 12" cheap ass clarion in my dads f150 supercrew. it was about 1 cubic foot box. postioned between the center consule and the back seat. angled alittle towards the back but basicly firing straight up.

sounds nice for a 30 dollar sub and a walmart amp..lol

u have to take the sub out if u have to put someone in the middle of the back seat but its doesnt take up much room

wow man thats a great gift..i just looked up those trucks they look really nice..a couple of 8 inch subs that come to mind are

sound splinters rl-i http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/shop/in...amp;productId=2

rli8.jpg

Ascendant Audio's assassin's http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/shop/in...p;productId=162

as8front1.png

jl audios 8w3's http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/shop/in...p;productId=278

JLAudio8W3v3-4.jpg

also if your willing to spend some cash id go with jl's 8w7 those will run you about $300-$350 per 8 inch sub but they are worth every penny in my opinion

JL-8W7-dd.jpg

Edited by denalilvr

wow man thats a great gift..i just looked up those trucks they look really nice..a couple of 8 inch subs that come to mind are

sound splinters rl-i http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/shop/in...amp;productId=2

rli8.jpg

Ascendant Audio's assassin's http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/shop/in...p;productId=162

as8front1.png

jl audios 8w3's http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/shop/in...p;productId=278

JLAudio8W3v3-4.jpg

also if your willing to spend some cash id go with jl's 8w7 those will run you about $300-$350 per 8 inch sub but they are worth every penny in my opinion

JL-8W7-dd.jpg

Yeah it is an amazing gift and totally unexpected! I have a 10" right now, as for the 8's how are they on the low end of things, compared to a 10"? I was seriously considering goin with one, but had never heard one, but with space at a premium I may have to. Have you had personal experience with all/any of them?

depending on how creative you are you can maybe sneak 3 under there but definitely 2 subs minimum, the only ones i hear in person are the assassins with 400 going to each and suprised the hell out of me...but honestly you just cant go wrong with any of those subs they are all very good quality subwoofers

depending on how creative you are you can maybe sneak 3 under there but definitely 2 subs minimum, the only ones i hear in person are the assassins with 400 going to each and suprised the hell out of me...but honestly you just cant go wrong with any of those subs they are all very good quality subwoofers

Given the complications with TC (Soundsplinter's build house, correct?) are they rl-i8's even still available? They look very nice and I just read a review by mmray and he really seemed to enjoy them, which makes me even more interested.

i honestly couldnt answer that for ya bud, shoot them a email and see whats up, if they dont have any then shoot ssa a email and if they have any for ya...goodluck support@soundsolutionsaudio.com

Edited by denalilvr

Well Mike from SS just pm'd me back and said he was all out, I just sent denim a message about it, and hopefully he has some, but its doubtful.

keep in mind the other subs are just has good has well if SS doesnt pan out try taking a look at some of the others

keep in mind the other subs are just has good has well if SS doesnt pan out try taking a look at some of the others

Yeah but those rl-i's just look so beastly, but so does the w7, which Im sure does a great job as well, but it also has a beastly price. I could get two rl-i's for the price of one jl (well almost). Anyways, thanks for your help.

In my experience in my truck, I have had the best luck with the sub in the middle, firing forward, as low as possible. If using two drivers, do the same except put them right next to each other in the middle.

If you are in the market for drivers that fit in tight spaces, look here: http://stereointegrity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29

The new BM will suit you perfectly.

In my experience in my truck, I have had the best luck with the sub in the middle, firing forward, as low as possible. If using two drivers, do the same except put them right next to each other in the middle.

If you are in the market for drivers that fit in tight spaces, look here: http://stereointegrity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29

The new BM will suit you perfectly.

Yeah I have been watching/reading daily about SI's new lineup and I just finished reading your review (which was really good by the way). Personally, I havent heard a Mag or a BM so I couldn't really relate to the comparisons made in the review, but heres my biggest problem: There are just too many good subwoofers on the market right now! lol

another 8 inch sub i forgot about are the kicker L7's gotta be honest ive never seen one or heard one in person but they look like they hit for the money $99 on ebay for new ones

Well, I managed to find an rl-i8 for sale, well actually lets make that two of them. The deal is still getting worked out, but I'm pumped about those little beasts! Waitin on a shipping quote and then everything will start falling into place.

And as it turns out, I have quite a bit less room than I first anticipated, maybe a cube, net. Maybe. Im trying to figure out a box that will fit closely to the outline of the transmission hump in the rear, for the simple reason of not rendering my rear seats useless to passengers. And I also have to make sure that the box wont interfere with the back of the front seats when they get leaned back.... so many things to figure out...but in a good way. I just hope these little guys hold up to their rep of performing well in small sealed boxes, because I'll need it lol.

Im goin to try and fire them towards the front, as low as possible, like tirefryr suggested, I'm still open to any more suggestions. And I dont have exact measurements, but from rough ones I took earlier today, it looks like I got about 9" deep, about 18" for width (but again that gets into interfering with the front seats) and height isn't as strict, maybe 14" for the highest, still not sure on that one.

Just thought I'd let ya know.

They do fine in 0.4 cuft net (each) and out of the 8's recommended are by far my favorite.

The L7 has output, but needs a ported enclosure. The JL w3 is outclassed by the others. The AA I haven't heard or held so none of this applies to it. The Rli8's are sweet little beasts. Enjoy and post pics of your build!

I'll be sure to do a build log, although it wont be near as in depth as most people's are. Its goin to be my first attempt at a box build, and I had to pick a complicated one at that (for me at least).

Sweet. Do feel free to ask for more opinions/help along the way. :)

I'm glued to this. I have had a facination with those 8's for a while.

DOuble post..... I must be realy excited :D

Edited by dem beats

As have I, ever since I first seen those massive 8" subs Ive been impressed, but it also appears that SSA's comin out with a hefty contender theirselves very soon. Hopefully I'll get a shipping quote today sometime, and then whenever paypal clears, then I'll just be waiting on them to get here. Ive waited this long, whats a week or two more? lol