Sign in to follow this  
denalilvr

home theater in a box?

after reading this section i have found out people here pride themselves on diy setups for home use..but i feel i have spent too much time and money on my trucks and not enough on home audio..i currently have a 72'' wide screen and im looking to bring it more alive so to speak..and i was looking into Onkyo HT-SP904 5.1 system with a budget of $700-$800 what do you guys think?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo-HT-SP...ail.do#proddesc

EC.ONK.HTSP904.CN.JPG

A 72" TV can't be cheap.

Using that with it would be laughable, IMO...you might as well get decent sound to go with it, otherwise, meh...

A 72" TV can't be cheap.

Using that with it would be laughable, IMO...you might as well get decent sound to go with it, otherwise, meh...

no it wasnt it was listed for $7,499 i got them down to $6,999 and they threw in a free stand that sells for $800 so i got about a $1,300 discount...

honestly i can kick it up to $1500 for home theater..i just never been into home audio so im hoping i can get something decent with that budget..

$1500 is more doable, at least that way you could build some speakers and have some options for amplification...

You get what you pay for, I have a nice yamaha box set in my room but I have a horribly shaped/ acoustical prperties etc in my room.

Box-sets are good for people who don't know any better, and they sound ok, but nothing stellar. No jaw dropping mids/tweets that bring your movies/gaming/cd's/records alive.

In that price range, you should really only be buying 2 speakers and not a home theater setup.

In that price range, you should really only be buying 2 speakers and not a home theater setup.

I agree 100%

72" telelvision.....nice.

You want a big HT audio system, not one that fits in a box.

If you have a budget and not too concerned about time, maybe start off with getting a nice pair of mains for front left and right.

And not little bookshelf speakers either, some good sized floorstanders.....you want the sound as big as the screen.

Start off with 2 channel first, or 2.1 with homebrew subwoofers or whatever. Get a 5-7.1 AV receiver to use to start off.....Now price reflects SQ and build quality, so if you buy a cheap AV receiver that's what you get. $1000-1500 would seem to get into a decent AV receiver I guess.

I used to just watch DVD's in 2.1, but I have pretty much resorted to 2 channel stereo listening.

Don't have the money nor the room to build a HT rig I would want.....so I'm kinda ignorant to the HT hobby with respect to building up a system.

But a $6K TV deserves a audio system that kinda reflects the TV's price, if you want to have a impressive HT system. IMO.

i was thinking of getting 2 floor speakers to place in front and a sub behind me..

That would be a good start, if it were me I'd use a tested design like something on Zaphaudio with proven drivers, that way if you want to add a center and surrounds to it at a later date you can have timbre-matched mains, center and surrounds...versus just a clusterfuck of things that may or may not work together.