Sign in to follow this  
sholiz

SUV's

Approx how much does one go through on an SUV? SPL application, I'm looking at 2 layers of Damplifier on the floor and Pro over that, and 2 layers of Pro under the headliner and in the doors.

Figured I'd need about 140-160sq ft ... I'll be buying 20-30ft extra - got some other cars to do, but also the speaker tweaker kits for all my doors (RE XXX's ...) and Overkill on top of the doors.

Or is that too much deadener? ... I'll be pushing mid-150db's and 7-10kw ... I'm a broke college student, doing this and running my 3/0 and RCA's at once so I want to make sure I don't have to tear this apart again!!!

Oh the car is a Trailblazer, approx same size as a Burban

i have a denali and im using 200sq ft of damp pro and 160 sq ft of damp regular..im doubling up on the roof and the back cabin and doing single layers on the 4 doors..

Guest zedman
Approx how much does one go through on an SUV? SPL application, I'm looking at 2 layers of Damplifier on the floor and Pro over that, and 2 layers of Pro under the headliner and in the doors.

Figured I'd need about 140-160sq ft ... I'll be buying 20-30ft extra - got some other cars to do, but also the speaker tweaker kits for all my doors (RE XXX's ...) and Overkill on top of the doors.

Or is that too much deadener? ... I'll be pushing mid-150db's and 7-10kw ... I'm a broke college student, doing this and running my 3/0 and RCA's at once so I want to make sure I don't have to tear this apart again!!!

Oh the car is a Trailblazer, approx same size as a Burban

I think you are way low in your estimate at least double that if you are putting 3 layers on the floor and 2 on everything else. I used 80 and I could have easily put 200 more on since I didnt do the roof yet. I did one layer on the floor and 2 on the doors

Edited by zedman

160sq feet sounds low, I'll be using more than that for my next car build.

for a full size truck i think you need a minimum of 300sq ft..ant the owner of second skin told me to start around 360sqft that should be enough to do 2 layers all over the truck..

If you're really concerned about SPL, I would be concerned about over-deadening.

Putting deadener in the right places can cause you to gain SPL, yes, but put in the wrong places you might lose...and most competition organizations have limits on how much can be applied before going up in classes...

Well it's going to be a daily driver that will be louder than any of the cars at any of the shows within ~100 miles. Highest score was a low 150 last year - 150.? ... so I just want to mainly keep as much noise as possible IN since it's gonna be a daily driver with 8-15k RMS ...

300sq ft ... eek ... oh well, American Express will love me and my girl will hate me.

Edited by sholiz

Well it's going to be a daily driver that will be louder than any of the cars at any of the shows within ~100 miles. Highest score was a low 150 last year - 150.? ... so I just want to mainly keep as much noise as possible IN since it's gonna be a daily driver with 8-15k RMS ...

300sq ft ... eek ... oh well, American Express will love me and my girl will hate me.

your system will consist of 8 of the 15k rockford amps? or you where saying in total it will be 8-15k rms?

Well if Sundown winds up making the 5k I'll have two of them or two 3k's ... I wish I had 8 Rockford 15k's ... I'd just need a semi-trailer for a box.

The job of deadening isn't to keep sound in...

Has to work both ways to a degree, I want to keep as much road noise out when I'm driving (on the phone, having a convorsation with a passenger) but daily driving with a loud system, still be able to not annoy every single person the street because I want to feel a little thump to the music. I've got 3kw right now and even at moderately loud levels it's quite loud outside the car through the doors from tweets screaming.

It doesn't keep road noise OUT either. Sound deadening kills the rattles. Open cell fabrics (Ensolite, Overkill, etc) are what kill airborne sounds.