QuestionMan

3000 Watt boss amp powering my 18" Bl

Yeah i thought that'd get some attention. I've got a freind that has 2 12" MA Hardkore (actually not as bad as i thought theyd be), and he has a Boss 3000 watt amp powering them. I smirked a little when i saw the amp he had on them, and it got me curious, what do you guys think/know the actual rms on this thing is? And how does boss even get away with overrating them so d4mn much?

The title is a joke, and only intended to get some attention and maybe get a few people frustrated.

friends don't let friends buy Boss......

Lol he's had it for awhile.. and when he first got it, i was in a state of mind where 3000 watts is 3000 watts. I've been enlightened :neil: . But really, how do companies like boss get away with that?

is that 3000 watts rated RMS or listed as max? probably does 2/3 of rated rms. or 1/3 if that's a max rating.

It depends on how boss does it's rating.

What voltage, what impedance, what distortion etc...

I'm almost willing to say that companies like boss just put a # on their amps that sounds cool.

and from what i know there is no law or regulation makin companys state true fact about their amps power....... its has been along time problem.... but it also has its perks... some amps do a 12 volt 4 ohm power rating..... so that people can get in the 400 watt class thay need to be in.. but be pushing over 1 k @ 1 ohm dig it

It depends on how boss does it's rating.

What voltage, what impedance, what distortion etc...

I'm almost willing to say that companies like boss just put a # on their amps that sounds cool.

yup boss does whatever it wants because it can. and if someone sues because of lying they can always say 20v clipped or some chit it does that max rating. Either way thou consumers determine the market. As long as peeps like your friend believe them does it matter what they put?

and from what i know there is no law or regulation makin companys state true fact about their amps power....... its has been along time problem.... but it also has its perks... some amps do a 12 volt 4 ohm power rating..... so that people can get in the 400 watt class thay need to be in.. but be pushing over 1 k @ 1 ohm dig it

Even better are the old Orion HCCA and G4 amps. They'd be rated at say 2 x 25 @ 4 ohms, but they were .5 ohm stereo, 1 ohm bridged stable. If you double power all the way down that would be 1 x 400 @ 1 ohm bridged. But it would actually put out 600. Or the 2 x 100 @ 4 ohm amp that would put out about 2k at 1 ohm bridged.

friends don't let friends buy Boss......

Unless it is old ZED built. ;)

I found a 3,000watt Boss BL3KD that lists 1200rms@4ohm, 2200rms@2ohm, likely 3K max. Hard to say if it makes that much and at what voltage. I would guess it is close if it says RMS rating but who knows they still could have rated it at 16v input or something. A quality 3,000 watt amp might be 3KW RMS at its lowest ohm rating so it would indeed be more than this 2200rms amp, and would be rated at a voltage a normal car can provide so could be further apart yet.

I'd say it puts out a clean 500-600 watts. They just make up a number....its a POS anyways. I'd take a Sundown 100.2 over that amp.

I think its a shame you would run a nice sub on such a garbage amp.

Did you read anything other than the title? read the very first post.

old school Orion Concept 97.1 amp= 1 watt amp....hehe

I am sure you meant the Orion concept 97.3.

Edited by Dr. Johnson

Threadjacking my own thread here, but i've heard about the orion cocepts (i think there was a 97.2 and 97.3, dr. johnson), but would anyone like to elaborate? what was the point of it? and it was never actually stable at the ohm levels where it said it could make 1000 watts at .00xxxx ohms was it?

No the 97.2 was an eq there was a 97.1 and 97.3 that were amps. Then of course the concept component speakers were in 98

Oooh ,well like i said i've only heard about them once or twice.. but anyone know some answers the the post 2 above this?

Oooh ,well like i said i've only heard about them once or twice.. but anyone know some answers the the post 2 above this?

Stereo comps used to go by the mfg rating on the amps so this would put you in the lowest class no matter how many 97.3 amps you used. hence the name "cheater" amps

Haha, no actually I didn't. I was just disgusted by the title. Sorry about that. I don't have enough experience with Boss to comment on how much it puts out, LMAO. I would agree with the 500-600 watt estimate.

Haha, no actually I didn't. I was just disgusted by the title. Sorry about that. I don't have enough experience with Boss to comment on how much it puts out, LMAO. I would agree with the 500-600 watt estimate.

lol, yeah i actually thought everybody was going to skip reading, and go straight to bashing, i was surprised they even read it (i probably would've gone straight to bashing too, lol). 500-600 watts.. amazing how they can get away with that.

I told my freind i was paying either $350 for a used sundown 1500, or $300 for a new 2000 watt hifonics. He said thats crazy, and he could just sell me his '3000' watt Boss amp for $125. I politely turned down the offer lol. I gotta say, the boss amps sure are shiny though.

Edited by QuestionMan

So how much is a new 600rms class d? Most are still more than the boss, that is what I am saying. You get what you pay for usually. I bet the cheap ones are still cheaper per watt (I don't have numbers to tell) but they do like to break easier and have less warranty, etc.

Sneaky topic title. :peepwall: