dakotap

Good sub recommendations for SAZ-1500D

Hey guys, looking to upgrade soon. I just got my Sundown SAZ-1500 in the other day, running it at 2 ohm on 2 Memphis M-Class 10's ported and Its not very loud at all. I was looking at running 2 12's possibly ported. Or maybe 1 or 2 15's in Sealed enclosure. It's going in the back seat of a Toyota Tacoma x-cab so I dont have alot of room. I need subs that I can run the pair at 1 ohm. I originally was thinking of either 2 Fi SSD's or 2 Fi Q's. I looked into the SI Mag's but they would put me at .5 ohm and I'm not doing that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You could run the new Mags at 2ohms and they would be perfectly happy with that power.

Although your current setup isn't doing it for you in the loudness department, so I'd probably recommend the Q's or the SSA ICON's to you. Both can be wired at 1 ohm to the SAZ-1500D. To be honest though, you don't really have enough power for two of either of those woofers.

You do have enough for two SSD's though... Two 10" ported would be pretty wicked.

You could run the new Mags at 2ohms and they would be perfectly happy with that power.

Although your current setup isn't doing it for you in the loudness department, so I'd probably recommend the Q's or the SSA ICON's to you. Both can be wired at 1 ohm to the SAZ-1500D. To be honest though, you don't really have enough power for two of either of those woofers.

You do have enough for two SSD's though... Two 10" ported would be pretty wicked.

I really like the Icons as well. It's going to be a daily driver, but I still want some solid db's with good sq, I really have liked my 10's but for some reason they were louder on my old Lanzar Vibe 230. I cant figure out why. I have set with a voltmeter and 50hz cd but it sounds weak.

What do you think about one ported 12, like the Icon or a Q with the BP option?

My vote would be for a sealed Mag...

Sounds to me like loud is the most important though Jim.

The real question is how much space do you actually have??

No. Loud is not the most important. I want good SQ but It has to be louder than what I had. My M-class are quieter than before and I want more.

I dont have alot of space. I have about 16" deep by probably 42" ish wide by about 30 something tall. Thats my whole backseat, well, what was a back seat. My two 10's take up a little over half the width of my seat. I could fit sealed better though. I thought about maybe building a sealed box for my mclass and see the difference in sound.

An ICON 12 would be fun off of that power. That being said, you don't have to send the full force of the 1500D to it. You can always turn the gain down.

No. Loud is not the most important. I want good SQ but It has to be louder than what I had. My M-class are quieter than before and I want more.

I dont have alot of space. I have about 16" deep by probably 42" ish wide by about 30 something tall. Thats my whole backseat, well, what was a back seat. My two 10's take up a little over half the width of my seat. I could fit sealed better though. I thought about maybe building a sealed box for my mclass and see the difference in sound.

Amusing since personally I think the M-class drivers sound a bit like fart cannons and you are asking for something louder...

Amusing since personally I think the M-class drivers sound a bit like fart cannons and you are asking for something louder...

Yes, I do want a little louder, and I want better SQ. A bit of both. Not as necessarily alot louder, I really would like to move more air. I have a friend that has four 10's ported and I like being able to feel the bass in my chest. Not as much ridiculously loud as just a more solid thump to the beat, and my M-Class just dont do it for me.

Edited by dakotap

actually im going to give 2 of the best options imo

2 12 re se's

have amazing sq, take around 650 each, seal them puppies, youll have nice output and nice response

or an older 15" mag sealed

new mags would be good as well. send each 750 sealed

I'd say go with a ported Q or ICON. Honestly though, most people that come to this forum and mention SQ really don't know what they are actually asking or how the more experienced member interpret it. If someone mentions SQ, ///M5 probably knows that they really don't mean SQ but his interpretation of SQ is true audiophile reproduction of the material as it was intended to be heard.

Most people, IMO, when they mention SQ they just want improved sound and better quality. I want better speaker to improve the sound and hopefully improve my midbass hopefully shorten the gap between sub stage, but in no way am I going to say I have a SQ system. It's just merely a way to improve the sound without going all out and still retain that bass that I like.

This forum has a few members who are into SQ, but I feel that a larger percentage are into SPL or somewhere in between, "LSQ." Now if this were a different forum like DIYMA, I feel that the population is more into SQ, and from what I have seen they will quickly jump on SPL people.

he asked for sq with output

i woulda recommended pure sq drivers if he wanted pure sq

subs like

Peerless XLS

Rainbow Vandiums are nice

Aura Sound makes very nice subs for sealed and ib use.

The dayton ho's stack up very nicely sq with and the bl curve for the cash.

Oz audio 300L's are very nice sealed and IB'd

couple pure sq with some decent output

Hmm, you say you want some thump but not necessarily alot louder. The kick typically comes form subs that can handle them low lows (lower fs) and that comes with tight suspension ( high Vas). Take some looks at the specs. Your M Classes don't have much do they. Your sub is actually suited for vented applications. I would recommend you cruise the specs of many of the trusted manufactures for specs that compile those specs with longer Xmax and I think you can find something that fits your taste and your limited space. Target Fs should be mid to upper 20's and your Vas over 2.5 cu. ft for a 10. Of course this also would be nice with over the .55" of excursion you have with those M-Class 10's now beating in your ride. Might I mention a company I have recently stumbled on called Elemental Designs. The Ov series might be something of interest for you and they aren't too expensive. I have tested the 13Ov.2 with great results. Hope this can help.

fing05.gif

Thats a beauty. Ported enclosure with some breathing room. You shall have bassgasms. :starwars:

I'd say go with a ported Q or ICON. Honestly though, most people that come to this forum and mention SQ really don't know what they are actually asking or how the more experienced member interpret it. If someone mentions SQ, ///M5 probably knows that they really don't mean SQ but his interpretation of SQ is true audiophile reproduction of the material as it was intended to be heard.

Most people, IMO, when they mention SQ they just want improved sound and better quality. I want better speaker to improve the sound and hopefully improve my midbass hopefully shorten the gap between sub stage, but in no way am I going to say I have a SQ system. It's just merely a way to improve the sound without going all out and still retain that bass that I like.

This forum has a few members who are into SQ, but I feel that a larger percentage are into SPL or somewhere in between, "LSQ." Now if this were a different forum like DIYMA, I feel that the population is more into SQ, and from what I have seen they will quickly jump on SPL people.

Most people shouldn't use the term SQ but instead describe what they want...it would go a really long way into making all responses better. Perhaps we need a stickied rule an explanation though. Either way using trendy terms that people don't really know the meaning of will never help them get the right answers.

Here is a fact: SPL & SQ are indeed 100% opposites. If you want more thump, you aren't asking for SQ.

One other fact, the whole mod staff here is pretty much into SQ. Most have played in both realms though and some are still bassheads. On the same note, DIYMA is nearly useless now as it has been over run with retards. It used to be my home but I get the shivers trying to read more than one thread. If you go there take the replies with a grain of salt. :( :( Too bad the place used to be great, but most of the real contributing members have now gone elsewhere.

Yes, I do want a little louder, and I want better SQ. A bit of both. Not as necessarily alot louder, I really would like to move more air. I have a friend that has four 10's ported and I like being able to feel the bass in my chest. Not as much ridiculously loud as just a more solid thump to the beat, and my M-Class just dont do it for me.

See how much better this would be if you didn't use the term SQ? You do a good job of describing what you want for louder, but not at all for SQ. Amusing since the "move more air", "more thump" & "feel the bass in my chest" don't correspond to SQ and they also aren't both related to your subwoofers. The feeling in your chest is a lack of midbass, but the lack of air is surely your subs.

When I said SQ I really mean I just want a smoother tighter bass as of now the M-Class aren't really able to control fast bass beats without freakin out a bit. I want my subs to be able to keep up with heavy double bass drums without skipping a beat. I want a tight control over the cone of my subwoofer. I am learning. I've been trying to research and learn more about subs and amps and not buying overpriced name brand stuff. I'm sorry if I seem like a dumbass M5, I'm new to the technical side of car audio. :D

No worries, not a dumbass at all...there is a precedence of the misuse of the term SQ and I didn't post that to be hard on you, just to explain. I would choose to be hard on you if we had a sticky that made this all more clear ;)

Now let's define smoother. To me smoother would mean no peaks, which again is contrary to loud and moving air. As for the fast bass beats, the M-classes in a proper enclosure should be okay with those, so I'd expect you have an enclosure issue but nonetheless since you are moving into different drivers that isn't something you have to worry about now.

Your definition of smooth will probably determine whether or not you run ported or sealed, so be honest in your answer :)

Now let's define smoother. To me smoother would mean no peaks, which again is contrary to loud and moving air. As for the fast bass beats, the M-classes in a proper enclosure should be okay with those, so I'd expect you have an enclosure issue but nonetheless since you are moving into different drivers that isn't something you have to worry about now.

Your definition of smooth will probably determine whether or not you run ported or sealed, so be honest in your answer :)

I think the enclosure they are in now is a little more than recommended airspace for them, its one of Memphis prefab ported enclosures, but they are tuned pretty high from what I've read, also I've read my current subs are better for small sealed enclosures.

As for my definition of smooth is a good non distorted tone over their whole frequency range while still having a well controlled cone when it comes to faster bass drums beats in rock and metal. I like the way my subs sound for rap music, and bass tracks, they sound good and get loud. It is just that I listen to alot of rock as well which as you know doesn't have the smooth bass beats that you get with rap and bass tracks. I want to get rap type output, while playing rock music, while still having tight hitting bass if that is possible. As for sealed or ported, I'm not sure of which to go with. I think I could fit one 12" sub ported to around 2.4 cubes of so in my truck, because of the space confinements. Although I could probably run at least one 15" in a sealed box. Or two 12"s sealed. I really dont know If I could get two ported 12"s in my backseat.

Edited by dakotap

As for my definition of smooth is a good non distorted tone over their whole frequency range while still having a well controlled cone when it comes to faster bass drums beats in rock and metal.

A pair of Icon 12's in a ported enclosure tuned around 32Hz would give you way more output and still have the control you are looking for.

As long as you can fit the space. A pair of 10" Icons ported would probably get you close as well.

As for my definition of smooth is a good non distorted tone over their whole frequency range while still having a well controlled cone when it comes to faster bass drums beats in rock and metal.

A pair of Icon 12's in a ported enclosure tuned around 32Hz would give you way more output and still have the control you are looking for.

As long as you can fit the space. A pair of 10" Icons ported would probably get you close as well.

Thank you for the help and recommendations. :)

Someone told me that I dont have the amp to push two of them. I think I do. I think pushing around 700-750 rms a peice would be plenty. But do you think it would be too hard on my amp?

The Sundown 1500 would be PERFECT for a pair of Icon's. For the type of install you are doing I don't feel you would gain anything by getting a larger amp other than headaches on how to provide it power. It is a great choice and match, part of the reason I think the Icon's are right for you ;)

Out of curiosity why does SPL and SQ have to be polar opposites? If you are not straining your speakers in a SQ set up and you add more power, shouldn't you by definition still have the same SQ but with more spl? I agree that for most, adding one or the other does in fact decrease one whether it be the SQ portion or the actual SPL. I listen to rock mostly. Been to over 200 concerts in my day. My car accurately reproduces concert volumes and then some crystal clear. Not trying to start a fight but just curious about the answer. I guess what I am trying to say is that yes if you add megawatts and multi woofers for bass and do not do the same type of upgrades for the rest of the speakers then yeah SPL at the expense of SQ.

I use a TC3000 15" powered by a SAZ 1500D in a ported enclosure tuned to 35 htz. I have 8" mid bass drivers in my doors receiving 250 watts apiece. BG planar mids on axis in the kick panels receiving 150 watts and BG planar tweets on axis in the dash receiving 100 watts apiece. Time alignment Xover and EQing being taken care by an Alpine H701. Gets plenty loud in the mid 140's. Loud enough to pop my trunk seal.

Can it sound like crap? You betcha!! But with the right adjustments it plays beautiful. The Holly Cole trio is amazing at ear bleeding volumes. My boy's rap is just plain rediculous even set up for Holly. Just wanted to describe what I am using so you understand my reference point. A system can be super loud and sound great without fooking with the bass boost or making a fart cannon enclosure.

Hopefully I did not step on toes. God knows a lot of you like M5 have been extrememly helpful to me on my system by answering all of my questions.

cub