OfficerSteve

Sundown Amps Made in America?

I believe it has been said several times on this forum that the amps are made by Zenon MFG in Korea

South Korea for all current model amps.

The upcoming SAE-1200D is made in China.

Its amazing how much crap comes from those places but sundown has a built in america type quality and reputation

yes indeed it sure does play like its made in the us......... say.... jacob.... hows about you get a factory... and perhaps you hire SSA members to build amps... and we can boost the economy while some lucky ssa members get a wicked sweet job.

im just talkin out loud

Zenon is THE best in the industry. Even companies like US Amps only attach the devices to the boards then sink them up here. You've been buying DVD players and head units from overseas for YEARS.. What's the diff now?

Heck, ADST was importing their boards for many years BEFORE the buyout in 2003. They were sinking and testing them here.

What I have a problem with is when it says Made in America and only the carboard box was actually made in America. Diamond was doing that crap.

yea i think it's funny people still have the racist stigma that everything not made in America is crap. a solder joint is a solder joint even if it's from a sweatshop . the biggest thing is quality control if every amp is bench tested and inspected before it leaves why not use the billion+ people and get the labor cheaper?

The Koreans build some better quality amps than have been produced here in the 'States, so I'm not exactly sure why "Made in the USA" is this automatic designator of quality that it seems to be :)

yea i think it's funny people still have the racist stigma that everything not made in America is crap. a solder joint is a solder joint even if it's from a sweatshop . the biggest thing is quality control if every amp is bench tested and inspected before it leaves why not use the billion+ people and get the labor cheaper?

Some people want to support American jobs though. That's a big part of it.

^ and that's the other part of it. most of those same people who preach about American jobs will protest, kick and scream if prices of goods are increased to pay the American workers a decent wage. but this is kinda going into politics, international trade, etc. so i'll stop. great amps designed by americans built by Koreans

I just support the U.S. Economy, and U.S. Jobs when possible. I was recently laid off when my job got shipped to a Chinese plant, me and couple hundred other hardworking Americans.

I spent a year in South Korea on the DMZ with the Army. Good people over there. The fact that the SAZ's are built there isn't a turn-off. I absolutely will not buy Chinese manufactured products whenever humanly possible. Thats just me though. Not racism, just attempting to support other economy's, mainly our own, as much as possible.

Edited by Officer Steve

Steve I am really sad to hear about how you lost your job. And I agree with you on your feelings about USA jobs and workers. I agree with your feelings. But due to the high costs to build things these days very little is actually built here. There are a few amps that say they are American made, but what is really happening is the boards are punched and filled overseas and then they are shipped here and assembled here. Heck, most of US Amps are not even made here. But if you want to look at it this way, for Americans, Jacob and his US dealers are helped when Sundown sells an amplifier. :)

I would love to make them in America but it is SO much more expensive to do so. The SAX and SAZ lines will likely remain South Korea made whereas the SAE line will be moving to China.

I experimented with "Made in USA" with my SD-1 woofer line and found that nobody is willing to pay the price premium, which is why they are on close-out sale now. They were as much made in the USA as possible, even the steel motor parts were made in the USA.

Its amazing how much crap comes from those places but sundown has a built in america type quality and reputation

Overseas manufacturers only build crap if they are contracted to do so. Your typical American company wants product built as cheap as possible resulting in cheap products. Then you have companies like Sundown that insist on a quality product first and cost efficient second.

I hate to see Americans lose their jobs. My company is finishing up a major layoff right now. You have to look at the bigger picture though. I know when I need something from the store I buy it from the cheapest place possible whether it be Wal-Mart, Food Lion, Bi-Lo, etc. Thats how I keep my cost of living as low as possible. Corporate America is just doing the same thing. In a way, Americans have done this to themselves by driving up the cost of living so high. I'm amazed everyday seeing kids coming straight outta high school expecting to make $20/hr just for showing up at work.

If you want to buy quality amps manufactured in the US, get into home audio ;)

I hate to see Americans lose their jobs. My company is finishing up a major layoff right now. You have to look at the bigger picture though. I know when I need something from the store I buy it from the cheapest place possible whether it be Wal-Mart, Food Lion, Bi-Lo, etc. Thats how I keep my cost of living as low as possible. Corporate America is just doing the same thing. In a way, Americans have done this to themselves by driving up the cost of living so high. I'm amazed everyday seeing kids coming straight outta high school expecting to make $20/hr just for showing up at work.

Well said. The reason why manufacturing jobs are being contracted overseas is American expectation. It will be interesting to see how much lower the dollar goes. It might be cheaper to manufacture here in the distant future. Toyota and BMW are 2 companies that I know of that are actually increasing manufacturing output in the US.

Adding to this is the general "not in my backyard' attitude and the regulatory costs of environmental compliance. Companies can pollute as they please in elsewhere.

Edited by bigjae1976

I would love to make them in America but it is SO much more expensive to do so. The SAX and SAZ lines will likely remain South Korea made whereas the SAE line will be moving to China.

I experimented with "Made in USA" with my SD-1 woofer line and found that nobody is willing to pay the price premium, which is why they are on close-out sale now. They were as much made in the USA as possible, even the steel motor parts were made in the USA.

Cant tell you how encouraging it is to be able to discuss this with the owner of the company. So thank you for your input. Its unfortunate that "Made in the USA" isn't valued more in todays society, but i commend you for you efforts.

Edited by Officer Steve

Steve I am really sad to hear about how you lost your job. And I agree with you on your feelings about USA jobs and workers. I agree with your feelings. But due to the high costs to build things these days very little is actually built here. There are a few amps that say they are American made, but what is really happening is the boards are punched and filled overseas and then they are shipped here and assembled here. Heck, most of US Amps are not even made here. But if you want to look at it this way, for Americans, Jacob and his US dealers are helped when Sundown sells an amplifier. :)

I agree. If "Made in the USA" is not a possibility, an American owned company with high standards for quality would chase a close second.

Not related to Sundown, but i wish a company would offer an approach like Fender Guitars. They offer two lines, one standard foreign line, one premium American line, and gave the customer the chance to choose. I don't know how practical that actually is though.

Edited by Officer Steve

I agree. If "Made in the USA" is not a possibility, an American owned company with high standards for quality would chase a close second.

Not related to Sundown, but i wish a company would offer an approach like Fender Guitars. They offer two lines, one standard foreign line, one premium American line, and gave the customer the chance to choose. I don't know how practical that actually is though.

Sundown is doing something similar to this.

SAZ-South Korea.

"New"SAE-China.

The old SAE was Korea made, but I think Jake decided to that line to China.

Which makes sense, for a entry level amp to keep cost down.

SAZ-South Korea.

"New"SAE-China.

Well, yea, but what amps are still truly completely manufactured in the U.S.A? Any? My point is to give customers the chance to own a made in the U.S.A line, Along with a entry level, and Standard line.

We'll use Sundown for a basic example.

SXX - American Made, Premium line, Using some of the top materials in the Industry.

SAZ - South Korean, Standard line.

SAE - Chinese, Value Line.

In reality, your not going to sell the premium line in the same volume as the other 2, but it does give your customers the chance to choose. I dont think every American out there cares where a product was made, but i will safely assume that most hold products made in the U.S. with a higher regard than products manufactured elsewhere. Offer a product for every buyer, from budget minded to audiophile. Right now im working on three different projects, and in my personal vehicle, i was seriously considering going old school. Why? Because who offer's Quality like that anymore? I got a sinking feeling in my stomach when i saw the Made in China sticker on a friends new Kicker ZX amp. I remember thinking "Damn, when did that happen?"

If this even possible, i have no clue, but i know nobody's really doing it. That was my point with the Fender example.

Edited by Officer Steve

SAZ-South Korea.

"New"SAE-China.

Well, yea, but what amps are still truly completely manufactured in the U.S.A? Any? My point is to give customers the chance to own a made in the U.S.A line, Along with a entry level, and Standard line.

We'll use Sundown for a basic example.

SXX - American Made, Premium line, Using some of the top materials in the Industry.

SAZ - South Korean, Standard line.

SAE - Chinese, Value Line.

In reality, your not going to sell the premium line in the same volume as the other 2, but it does give your customers the chance to choose. I dont think every American out there cares where a product was made, but i will safely assume that most hold products made in the U.S. with a higher regard than products manufactured elsewhere. Offer a product for every buyer, from budget minded to audiophile. Right now im working on three different projects, and in my personal vehicle, i was seriously considering going old school. Why? Because who offer's Quality like that anymore? I got a sinking feeling in my stomach when i saw the Made in China sticker on a friends new Kicker ZX amp. I remember thinking "Damn, when did that happen?"

If this even possible, i have no clue, but i know nobody's really doing it. That was my point with the Fender example.

To start off, idea is good.

But, its not what the people really need.

Why does it matter so much where its made? As long as the design is good, nothing else should matter and the components are up to par.

You can get quality stuff all over the world, depends on how much money you wanna fork over.

IMO, Korea, can do everything we can do here, and probably better. As far as it comes to this.

Also, do you know why theres not many amps made in the USA anymore?

Heres what we can gather. Nobody wants to pay the extra to have it made here, if a amp 1/2 the cost will do the same, if not better. Also this generation of Car Audio doesn't care as much as the past did. Im talking mid late 80s- early mid 90s.

But, its not what the people really need.

Why does it matter so much where its made? As long as the design is good, nothing else should matter and the components are up to par.

for the record, We don't need any of this stuff. Not in the survival sense anyway.

It matters because at one time there were American's doing those jobs. Now American company's employ foreign workers just so they can compete with other company's that have already sold out... What a vicious cycle. If they refused, they would price themselfs out of there own market. I guess we (as consumers) are all a victim of our own design/greed.

I am sure SUNDOWNZ would like nothing more than to sit here and tell me his Amp's and sub's were 100% made by the fine people of Greenbo, Alabama. Unfortunately for him, If he did, there would be no way he could compete with other company's that have there products made elsewhere. We, in turn, wouldn't buy as much of his products. Shame on us for always taking the easy way out, the cheapest way out. We have forced company's large and small to employ workers that cant even say the name of the products that they build, all because of our greed and corporate profit.

I just refuse to do it. I will pay more for something built in the states.

Somewhere, someone counts on me to buy a product he or she builds just to keep them employed. Now its my choice, I can get one built by George Walker, in Greenbo, AL or someone with a name i cant say...

Ill take George.

Edited by Officer Steve

they prob need the jobs more than we do, i would be pissed too if i got laid off but guess what i could just drive down the street and get another one.... just think, it could be u workin in that sweatshop but no ur sittin on ur high dollar computer bitchin.

In a way, Americans have done this to themselves by driving up the cost of living so high.

Off topic.

If i can quote Chuck Palahniuk for a second "Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy Sh*t we don't need."

America, Generally speaking, has been on a spending binge for the last 15 - 20 years. "I cant afford it" is the 4 letter word of my generation. I welcome a recession with open arms. How else will people learn?