y_d0c

METAL

Just curious if anyone on these forums listened to metal, and what kind of setup they had...

Ive kinda been drawn away from spl and more towards sq.

i would almost assume that a sq setup would suit my needs more than a spl setup, considering the type of music i listen to.

Dont get me wrong, i listen to a select amount of rap, but, the majority is going to be metal...

So i guess im looking for some conformation on this situation..

much appreciated

Edited by y_d0c

For metal you need monster midbasses, for rap it is all in the subs. Of course if you truly built an SQ system it will play both perfectly but bassheads won't think there is enough boom.

For metal you need monster midbasses, for rap it is all in the subs. Of course if you truly built an SQ system it will play both perfectly but bassheads won't think there is enough boom.

Thank you...any suggestions for mids???

yea midbass,

sometimes the bass drum sounds like crap on the sub so u need good midbass speakers, then sub.

i listen to everything, rap, reggae, dub, slows,80s, metal

with respect to metal everything from what we call panty metal to death/black metal.

what bands do you listen to?

arch enemy, dimmu borgir, amon amarth? around that?

yea midbass,

sometimes the bass drum sounds like crap on the sub so u need good midbass speakers, then sub.

i listen to everything, rap, reggae, dub, slows,80s, metal

with respect to metal everything from what we call panty metal to death/black metal.

what bands do you listen to?

arch enemy, dimmu borgir, amon amarth? around that?

close my friend.....

more into the death metal...nile, bloodbath, behemoth, aborted, skinless...pretty much top end crazy chit....

btw amon amarth is good.....

i have some of them but i dint get around to listening to them,

well here in trinidad,

we use DJ speakers for loudness.

rcf, B&C along those lines.

remeber some of them have depth with voice an others go very high,

usually we mix the high mid an low mid.

but if u use these speakers u wont get proper midbass, but the voice will sound wonderfull,

if you are using coaxials or components, try not to run too much midbass to it as it will distort the voice.

but u should put in a sub.

try a hifonics system,

5 channel zeus

pair zeus comps an pair coax, if u can get a pair of altas speakers that would be good.

it also has mercury.

hifonics brutus is a nice sub, handles almost any frequency nicely, and they can take a lot of power.

at the moment i have a 10" brutus and i am puttin 2000rms on it, yes 2000rms.

rated 500.

12" is 600 an 15" is 700 rms.

if not use a DC level 3, very loud.

get a nice EQ so that u can balance your freqeuncies properly.

in one of my frends cars all u hear is bass which sounds like crap and a little bit of mids.

B&C's typically won't play low enough for what I'd consider optimal midbass for metal, I'd want a much more dedicated midbass.

pertinant things to know b4 your last question can be answered.

1) Budget

2) Size limitations (i.e. can a 10" fit in the desired location, or a 8" or will you be subjected to having to stick to a driver a around the 6.5" area"

3) max mounting depth in the location you intend to put the midbass driver

but if u use these speakers u wont get proper midbass, but the voice will sound wonderfull

thats what i said, the voice sounds very nice, the depth in the voice of the singer sounds really good,

but the midbass does not hit as well as it should.

Soon, I'll be running Peerless SLS 6.5" midbasses in my doors. Around $80 for the pair.

I'll agree and say good midbass is the key for metal listeners. Just listen to George's tom sound on Ithyphallic (Nile) and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. You want those drums to be really warm, just like the real drum were recorded. Plus, the heavier guitar parts will punch more with dedicated midbass. Just some things to think about.. :drink40:

-Bio

suggestions m5? not really any sort of budget...

Going to depend on your processing as well. If you really don't have a budget, I can surely help you spend some money :neil:

you know me so well :):slayer::domoslay::slayer:

suggestions m5? not really any sort of budget...

Going to depend on your processing as well. If you really don't have a budget, I can surely help you spend some money :neil:

Im game....

SLAYER SLAYER SLAYER SLAYER SLAYER SLAYER SLAYER SLAYER SLAYER :slayer:

I wouldn't have said that, he ain't playin, lol

Mounting locations? Installation/tuning ability?

mount loca....stock, if i need somewhere else to place them im game...i drive an 08 explorer btw.....

i guess the only tuning ability ill have is through my HU pio9800bt.....im quite new to this whole sq/tun/eq chit....but im hopin to learn...

Either you will have a tuning nightmare or need a different headunit with my solution. You will need more tuning than the 9800 can offer.

An Alpine C701/H701 combo would be fine, but you might as well scrap the h/u and go with something that can control the H701 if you go that route. You could find a use PPI DCX 730, or depending on locations use a 360.2, or of course use Digital Zapco amplifiers and get a controller but for the first shot it is by far the easiest to have h/u control.

lets stick to the easiest for now, i would like to get a little more comfortable with this chit before i jump into whatever the 2nd option was...

$1k in processing if you keep your head, plus amps for every driver, and new drivers. You still interested?