Sign in to follow this  
Adrian_D

Test tone level

What kind of tones do you guys use ? 0dB, -3dB, -6dB ?

I've used the 0dB tones a few times. Worked ok with the gain setting for my mids but when I used it for the subs in 2 installs I had to turn up the gain (after setting it) just to blend the sub in with the front stage.

I read everything here http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...?showtopic=4256 but except Jmac's post I don't think I could draw a conclusion for myself.

By ear is good enough for my car ( I just need the sub to blend in) but when it comes to getting the full output on music, 0dB tones haven't worked :(

this is what i do-

I use 0db tones on setups that can get the most potential out of the amp(s) without clipping.

I sometimes go back through the setup process and use -3 tones so that i can get the most output potential for music.

Whereas using -3 tones then playing music might induce some songs into clipping, i don't really suggest anyone do it as a fully reliable way to setup an amp.

Reason being is what if you started to play some songs, especially rap songs that have constant, non-stop bass, these are just like fluctuating test tones in a song, which are just as powerful as 0db created tones.

Since i listen to mostly songs like that, i have to use 0db tones when i setup my amps so i don't end up killin the speakers in the long run but if you don't listen to music like that, -3 should do u fine.

But, i don't use this method as a way to create the best imaging possible. I use this method to get the most safe potential out of the amps as possible.

If i want quality, i can adjust settings later as long as i don't surpass what the settings were at when i setup everything.

0 dB when level matching channels on the amps.

Sound Forge or other software scans of familar music when tuning and setting gains. I typically use tracks that have an RMS of about -13 dB when setting gains. Madonna's Immaculate Collection comes to mind as a disk I use all the time.

I use 0dB for gains which includes blending. I have a cd with a lot of different tones. Using anything less than 0dB just eats your headroom :)

What felt weird when I used the 0dB tones was that even with a 40.1 on a single 15, it wasn't enough to keep up with music from the front stage.

Should I blame the ROE test tones ?

IIRC there was a site with a bunch of test tones you could download (it had instruments passages, channel tests and sine waves) but I can't find it :(

if u for some reason do not trust other's test tones, make your own.

I don't know if there is any free software out there to, well WinISD can but some "fun" software i use is called Goldwave.

You can do a LOT with audio in that program.

That and Ahead Nero's package comes with a sound editor too. I don't know if it is a generator but it's a nice editor.

What felt weird when I used the 0dB tones was that even with a 40.1 on a single 15, it wasn't enough to keep up with music from the front stage.

Should I blame the ROE test tones ?

IIRC there was a site with a bunch of test tones you could download (it had instruments passages, channel tests and sine waves) but I can't find it :(

I am not sure what to blame, but there is something wrong.

if u for some reason do not trust other's test tones, make your own.

I don't know if there is any free software out there to, well WinISD can but some "fun" software i use is called Goldwave.

You can do a LOT with audio in that program.

That and Ahead Nero's package comes with a sound editor too. I don't know if it is a generator but it's a nice editor.

I will try those too. And look for the cd I used to set the gains in my car