Sign in to follow this  
calvin

power wire

i think i have seen people on the internet use power wire in place of speaker wire. is that possible or is that y they sell "speaker wire"

wire is pretty much wire as long as you use a large enough gauge for the application. 8 ga is pretty absurd for subs even with a lot of power, ridiculous power perhaps but not even with a lot.

there's really no reason to use "power wire" as speaker wire. Generally it is more expensive because it's larger, and you have to run two individual runs of wire for the + and - instead of just having them already together like in "speaker wire."

there's really no reason to use "power wire" as speaker wire. Generally it is more expensive because it's larger, and you have to run two individual runs of wire for the + and - instead of just having them already together like in "speaker wire."

actually running power wire as speaker wire is slightly cheaper. 10 ga. speaker wire is more expensive then 10 ga. power wire i am tryna cut cost on stuff like that.

Wire is wire is wire is wire is wire.

And there isn't any need to use 8ga wire for subs.

actually running power wire as speaker wire is slightly cheaper. 10 ga. speaker wire is more expensive then 10 ga. power wire i am tryna cut cost on stuff like that.

As mentioned above unless the speaker wire is 2x or more the price of the power wire, it isn't cheaper because you need 2x as much of the power wire. Even 10ga is usually overkill for subs. I used it in my last install for the simple reason that it was available at a good price.

Hehe, 8awg is pretty serious there!

12awg should be plenty unless you plan on goin over 3kw.

I might suggest if you are trying to get every little watt out of the amp to up it to 10awg but if not competing, you wouldnt audibly hear a difference.

Now, if you are running at 0.5 ohms or lower, i would also suggest using a larger wire as the current will probably be greater than normal.

I use 12 gauge on 1,000 daily and it's never gotten warm; even on full tilt for several minutes.

Edited by Big E

i think i have seen people on the internet use power wire in place of speaker wire. is that possible or is that y they sell "speaker wire"

for subs??? i use power wire,