jonbearsmt

i think i wanna buy a hand gun

im not a gun kinda guy, but times are getting harder im starting to look like a turkey leg friend in the cartoons... you know when two cartoons are hungery and one looks over to the other and he looks like a honey ham.

One of the best bangs for the buck (pun fully intended) is the Ruger SR9. Plan on picking up one of those in addition to a few other things when I get home.

One of the best bangs for the buck (pun fully intended) is the Ruger SR9. Plan on picking up one of those in addition to a few other things when I get home.

it's gotten quite a few good reviews. slim package, lots of capacity and ruger finally got one right in the looks department, lol. downside for me is it's in it's first generation. just out, so reliability isn't proven yet. i don't think there will be a problem ( i pick up my ruger mkIII tomorrow), but with anything this new, you never know.

ruger has also just come out with the LCP, damn near an identical copy of the kel-tec p3at. shouldn't have the issues has kel-tec has pretty much worked them all out as their version is on it's second gen. (note here, DO NOT buy a first gen kel-tec p3at unless you intend on doing a little smithing)

other great options..

s&w m&p. can be had in 9, 40 or 45 and has adjustable backstrap to ease fitment

springfiled xd like the m&p, a whole lotta options

glock pistols, is there really anything needed to be said?

most 1911 styles. way customizable, can be bought for as little as $500 or as much as you want to spend.

that's is you want pistols. i didn't forget sig and h&k, but the above mentioned ones (save highend 1911) can be cheaper then most of the sigs or h&ks. but good buys are out there.

revovlers? s&w, ruger and tuarus. in that order. throw in charter arms and rossi as teh back of the line. nothign smaller then a .357, save the new ruger .327mag in it's sp101 is looking like a good backup package. .357mag performance w lighter recoil? can't wait to get my hands on one. i imagine it'll be liek the .45gap round though. it'll perform at or above factory .45acp/.357 mag loadings, but won't be able to be honked up to +p or +p+ type loadings. the .327 is a new cartridge though, so time will tell.

sorry for rambling.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I agree 100%.

If you pick one of these up check the production date to see if it was made in the date range affected by the recall. Not that you ever intend on dropping it, but it's a free fix.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/SR9Recall/

link to recall notice...

and why i don't like to buy first gen anything, lol. but ruger is a standup company.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

if you want personal defense, try any solid 1911 type. Best gun in my book, I'm a fan boy even. If you're not a fan say why, and then we can help you from there.

1911s are great. The only limfac as personal defense weapon is the need to carry cocked and locked. At least with a DA/SA or striker fired weapon you can carry one in the tube and on fire.

i love 1911s, best handgun in my book but i agree with helo, the cocked and locked carry is limiting. I wouldn't suggest it for someone's first handgun.

personally for a first handgun and especially for carry i suggest the snubnose .38. plenty of power, easy to handle, and more than accurate enough.

I probably stand alone on this but i'm not a fan of rugers. have no experience with the sr9 but just haven't liked any of them that i've shot with the exception of the .22s. Don't get me wrong, i didn't have any awful experiences with any of them, they did their job, i just didn't like the guns, didn't shoot them well, and they didn't fit my hand at all.

edit: you may also want to look at para ordinance if you want a 1911 style pistol. http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=16

i've heard mixed reviews but it seems most of them are from die hard 1911 fanatics that simply don't like someone trying perfect a perfect gun.

i was thinking a 380 with hollow points

the para's with their LDA trigger are great "beginner" 1911s has you don't have to carry cocked adn locked. but they have all the controls in the right place so one can learn the feel.

and to be honest, the 1911 wasn't designed for cocked and locked, but rather half-cock. and one was supposed to pull the hammer the rest of the way back. in half cock, the trigger won't go nowhere. but GIs figured out cocked and locked was way faster. but the original idea is why detonics are notched at the rear of the slide and the rear sight moved forward, to facilitate the thumb cocking of the hammer.

and i'm with you matt. up until the sr9, no ruger auto (save teh mark series of .22s) ever struck my fancy. hated the grip, the look and fit. the revolvers have always been nice though.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

yea i should have mentioned i was talking ruger autos, not revolvers.

keltec p3at

ruger lcp

seecamp (expensive)

Rohrbaugh (expensive)

north american arms guardian

^^^ best of the small breeds

bersa thunder

cz

colt mustang (if you can find one, expensive)

original s&w sigma (though i lot of people don't like them. i know where one is and am thinking of adding it to the collection)

slightly larger versions

and the list can go on. but those are some of the better names to look for.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

keltec p3at

ruger lcp

seecamp (expensive)

Rohrbaugh (expensive)

bersa thunder

cz

original s&w sigma (though i lot of people don't like them. i know where one is and am thinking of adding it to the collection)

slightly larger versions

Im actually thinking of buying a Ruger LCP.

I'm not going to lie, the prospect of you carrying a weapon is frightening. But at least I'm not in your area...

I'm not going to lie, the prospect of you carrying a weapon is frightening. But at least I'm not in your area...

why is that?

keltec p3at

ruger lcp

seecamp (expensive)

Rohrbaugh (expensive)

bersa thunder

cz

slightly larger versions

Im actually thinking of buying a Ruger LCP.

smooth little pistol. while i haven't shot one yet, i did give one the once over at my local favorite shop. very refined compared to what it's copied off of. and i don't care what ruger says, lol, they copied the kel-tec. i wonder if parts are interchangeable.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I'm personally looking pretty strongly at getting the Walther PPS for my CCW gun.

I'm personally looking pretty strongly at getting the Walther PPS for my CCW gun.

nice. have you handled one yet? i have yet to see one around here.

tomorrow, tomorrow, my ruger mkIII will be here tomorrow!!!

(with red dot, lol)

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

don't know what experience you have with guns, a revolver may be best to start with due to simplicity. but if you wanna go semi-auto, I love the 1911's. So much fun to shoot.

(with red dot, lol)

Haven't been able to play with one personally, although I have talked to quite a few people who aren't new to guns about them and they all like 'em.

(with red dot, lol)

Haven't been able to play with one personally, although I have talked to quite a few people who aren't new to guns about them and they all like 'em.

cool. i'd like to send a few down range with one. would be an easy to carry backup with decent firepower.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Jon I would still say my statement holds true.

Maybe you won't carry a 1911, but it's one of the best guns to then say what you would like to have done differently.

I am also firm in that you should ONLY fire hollow or some other high stopping low penetrating round. Even more so if it's your first weapon. You guys have some good points though and I do think if you want to carry hot in the chamber, go revolver, less to worry about. My 1911 can be carried cocked and ready and still have 2-3 safety's to go however.