Sign in to follow this  
JonnieBlaze

Peerless or SB Acoustic midbass

looking at zaphaudio.com, this SB Acoustic speaker is the best bang for the buck around $50 a piece. But I've seen a lot of people mention this Peerless speaker as well.

The only negative I can find is the SB speaker is 8 ohms so I'd have to find a slightly larger amp to give them their full 60w @ 8 ohms compared to the peerless which need 50W @ 4 ohms. Not necessarily a negative I know...I just read up on why higher impedance is not bad.

No place around here has these speakers so I can't really listen to them and determine for myself which I like better. Anyone have any input on these two? If I buy a set, they'll be installed in my front doors running off a 4 channel amp (not sure what amp yet).

I really doubt anyone here has heard the SB.

I really doubt anyone here has heard the SB.

What do you think the reason for that is? Is it because the peerless is a better midbass option out of the two?

Are there other midbasses in this price range ($50-60 a piece) that would do better in a sealed door than this peerless? Depth should be 5.5" or under and nothing bigger than an 8" diameter (6.5 preferably). Will be getting the H701 sometime soon. Amp will be decided on later.

If you can fit an 8, there is NO reason to look at 6.5's. The SLS isn't discontinued, but Peerless hasn't been delivering very well since going through the acquisition.

If you can fit an 8, there is NO reason to look at 6.5's. The SLS isn't discontinued, but Peerless hasn't been delivering very well since going through the acquisition.

Alright..then 8 it is. Now, when you say peerless hasnt been delivering very well...do you mean they are just slow shipping things out, or their products have been slacking as of late?

I don't expect the product quality to change, just the delivery times have been frustrating to say the least.

The 8" XLS would be fine too, but those are out of production so you'd have to find them used.

is this going to be a 2 or 3-way system? If 3-way, I vote Dayton Reference 8. I really like the Peerless soft dome tweets I have, though. Better than the Dayton Classics IMO. So I think Peerless makes quality stuff.

I'm planning for 3-way. I have a 4 channel amp for the tweeters and mids (havent picked them out yet).

I'm trying to figure out what midbass I want then I'll get an amp for that.

I already have the subs and mono amp so thats covered.

I can't find any XLS's right now. Maybe some will show up in the next few weeks. I'm checking out the daytons's now...

Ok, so the peerless is back in stock. I'll probably get two of them for the front doors.

What about the midrange and tweeters?

For tweeters I saw someone recommending these Seas 27TFFNC/G (H1396)

Any other tweeters you all would recommend over these in the $30 range or below?

As for midrange I have no clue. I've seen soooo many different recommendations that I'm really lost. Everybody likes something different. So i figure if I could just see some of the favorites around here I'll just pick one. For budget I'm thinking around $50 a piece. Size...6.5 or smaller...I'll custom mount these since I have no factory locations. Speaking of mounting...would it be absolutely horrible to put these in the dash (close to the windshield) aiming backward to the back of the car? I really dont have much room for kicks so I'm looking for alternatives. I even thought about molding them to the bottom of the dash right above the kicks but that doesnt leave much knee room. Any other ideas on that?

Edited by JonnieBlaze

Does anyone have any experience with this Tang Band for a midrange? Zaphaudio.com gives it a good review:

This is a very wide bandwith driver that could work as a small woofer, a dedicated midrange or even a full range driver provided a filter is used to tame the top end. This driver's breakup node above 10kHz does not propagate as harmonic distortion lower in frequency, meaning you can cross it over as high as you want. Harmonic distortion is merely average, but the smoothness of the response curve is class leading - a fair trade to many. This is a titanium cone, but it exhibits very "non-metal" behaviour due to the thin, light cone with exponential profile. Generally good value and consistency. It has a underhung voice coil that is vented under the spider, a cast frame and great build quality all around. Tested June 2007.

It gets almost 5 stars in every category.

The only problems I see are 1) Its not instock until mid July. 2) It is an 8ohm speaker that wants 25w RMS and 50w Max. My amp is rated for 75w RMS at 4 ohms. So putting the 8ohm speaker on there would drop the 75w down a bit...but even if I kept my gain all the way down would it be too much for the speaker?

In all honesty I dont know what to look for when picking frontstage speakers. I'm just looking around to see what other people recommend.

Edited by JonnieBlaze