oniontech

SQ application/Question

I've been recently turned on to Fi by how well people talk of them. From the spec side they look awesome, and from the design efficiency side it seems to be awesome as well. Im setting up a new sq system in a 1991 lexus ls400 and im either going to go 1 15-or 18 or 2 12's mostly because of limited trunk space. Im looking at the q's mainly because their supposed sq prowess. My first question is Can the Q's be mounted free air. And even though the q's are more of a linear bass response sub, do they deliver enough punch to respond well to the lows of a rap/electronic beat. Any comments or input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure about the free air idea, but Q's and low end go hand in hand with the best of them. the biggest factor for this I guess is sealed or ported?

free air? why would you want to mount a sub free air? If you're going to do anything like that, do infinite baffle. I don't know any subs that perform well at all in free air.

Things will hae to be changed if you are wanting to go IB. I'll caution you as well as your mechanical power handling goes way down, your output will suffer as well..(a GREAT deal)

It'l sound good though.

Seems like u guys arent to hot on the free air deal. Since the trunk isnt huge, i was thinking of just getting 1 15 or 18(ill only need a single box). My other question is how would 1 15 compare to 2 12's.

i think you have the wrong idea about free air.

that means just running the sub in the open with no enclosure or baffle. it's not a good idea and won't get good sound or good SPL.

A sub sitting in your trunk.

what would free air set up look like?

Here you go, and just listen to the mechanical noise my subs were making.

Look at Dave & my project logs for examples of Infinite Baffle. I have a link in my sig.

:dammit:

You don't like my answer? It was serious and correct, so I'm not sure what you're upset about. A free air setup has no enclosure. Just sitting a speaker in your trunk is seriously considered free air. Now if you're thinking about infinite baffle, that's a different story, and I alluded to that in my first reply.

For us old heads, we knew immediately that he was in fact talking about IB when he said "free air." The terms used to be used pretty much interchangeably in the car audio realm.

Well that's why both myself and vladd tried correcting him, but apparently we didn't give respectable answers. I was pretty sure he meant IB as well. But he asked what free air would look like so I answered. I'm not trying to be an ass but he repeatedly asked about free air even though we tried to steer him to the correct terminology so that people wouldn't get confused. Plus in his first thread he was talking about trunk space limiting his size of driver, and the suggestions for sizes he gave aren't even necessarily the lowest you could go with IB in that trunk. So I don't know if really he meant sealed since he was worried about enclosure size?

Plus I don't know why Audio-neon was thanked for his contribution when he showed a video of exactly what I said (no offense to you, audio-neon).

:dammit:

You don't like my answer? It was serious and correct, so I'm not sure what you're upset about. A free air setup has no enclosure. Just sitting a speaker in your trunk is seriously considered free air. Now if you're thinking about infinite baffle, that's a different story, and I alluded to that in my first reply.

ok my fault....i just took the wrong way.

No problem. Sorry it got a little heated. I just don't like feeling like the bad guy.