Sign in to follow this  
drapedupDTS

tinsel lead snapped at terminal???

car is a 02 cadillac deville, 1 15 d1 btl on strapped saz1500ds, subsonic all the way down to like 15, gain at a little lower than half. box is a chambered t line built by rich which i think is in the neighborhood if 30-36 hz tuning. i have a EQ with 8v preouts, HU is a max675vd. i think i need some guidance to set amps before i order a recone or try to replace the lead itself. volume on the hu 27 out 33... but the volume on the EQ is almost all the way up.

car is a 02 cadillac deville, 1 15 d1 btl on strapped saz1500ds, subsonic all the way down to like 15, gain at a little lower than half. box is a chambered t line built by rich which i think is in the neighborhood if 30-36 hz tuning. i have a EQ with 8v preouts, HU is a max675vd. i think i need some guidance to set amps before i order a recone or try to replace the lead itself. volume on the hu 27 out 33... but the volume on the EQ is almost all the way up.

theres a problem

that and the volume as well.

I also own an Alpine unit with 4v preouts but i do not have an EQ and i don't output over 4v either.

I set up the sundown 100.4 off of my install with the gain just under half before it started clipping at volume 27.

Bass is at 0, treble is at 0. Sub is at 15.

So with you saying EQ is all the way up... thats horrible clipping and to top it off, your subsonic is set SO LOW that is what caused the lead to snap.

You are lucky really. The very next thing was gonna be a thermal issue.

I would really have someone else setup your equipment because just turning up the subsonic filter isn't gonna save the next sub you throw on there for long term use.

ok i have a qusetion. so if my subsonic filter is off and i have a ported box let say tuned to 33 hz my sub is at risk? when my head unit is at negtive 7 for subwoofer preout and bass at 0 and treble for speakers at 8 and mid at 8 for the car speakers?

ok i have a qusetion. so if my subsonic filter is off and i have a ported box let say tuned to 33 hz my sub is at risk? when my head unit is at negtive 7 for subwoofer preout and bass at 0 and treble for speakers at 8 and mid at 8 for the car speakers?

Yeo, subwoofers do what's called "unloading" below tuning frequency, the cone isn't moving properly, the sub will be moving much more than it should be and you are risking mechanical and thermal failure.

If the tinsels snap, you are giving it too much power. Period. If you do a recone, plan on turning the volume down somewhere.... Or, plan on another re-cone.

T-lines don't have a tuning frequency, BTW. Maybe this could be an issue?? Sure you don't just have a regular ported box you are playing below Fb?

-Subsonic filters should be set 3-4Hz below tuning at MOST.

-With 8v of pre out voltage honestly your gain should be all the way down, a gain is nothing more then a knob to match signal voltage, it's not a volume knob.

-Volume on ANYTHING should never be all the way up. Your getting into a very dirty signal and the woofer is unloading causing the leads to snap...

-With 8v of pre out voltage honestly your gain should be all the way down, a gain is nothing more then a knob to match signal voltage, it's not a volume knob.

LOL... Took 6 pages for me to get people on CSO to understand that you could clip (full power) just about ANY amplifier made at ANY gain setting... LOL...

"But, But, it's at 1/2 gain so only putting out 1/2 power....." LOL!!!!!

thanks for the info... my first system. i had questions about it so i really dont feel like pucking other chit up again. will go to teh shop next tuesday and get the amps set correctly, the box is a chambered t line built off the 1/4 wavelength theory or something of the sort.

make sure to ask them what is the maximum volume you can turn it up to before it starts clipping.

Once you know that, of course don't go past it but also do not adjust any other enhancement devices either as that will cause clipping sooner.

Yeo, subwoofers do what's called "unloading" below tuning frequency, the cone isn't moving properly, the sub will be moving much more than it should be and you are risking mechanical and thermal failure.

ok thank you. what if i was using a sealed box would it be a problem there as much for a ported box?

Can't use a BTL in a sealed box, it won't work properly and it'l sound terrible.

Adjust your settings accordingly and you won't have any problems.

is it possible to get new tinsel leads mailed out to me??? 70501 is the zip

anyways... went back to the installer and he said when i do have the sub fixed, he will set not by ear next time. but when we set it... nothing was clipping and i probably had the volume up a little more than what i was supposed. now with my box being a chambered t line how would i set my subsonic on the saz 1500 and what to set it to. as u can tell i am new to this. any input will go a long ways.

Edited by drapedupDTS

Honestly, you have 3000 watts and one sub. All types of things can be done to help you set it up correctly, but it still doesn't matter, you can still ruin just about any sub with that much power.

Here is something people tend to forget about. You have the shop set everything up perfect, so you know exactly what volume level will be your max point etc. They use a CD or some other reference source. You feel all fine and good and you know your limits. Then someone gives you a burnt MP3 that is compressed all to hell and you play it and blows your sub because all the settings before never took something like this into account....

If you have it as loud as it was when the sub failed ever again, plan on it failing. So either you have to turn it down, or buy another sub and divide the power between the two.

Just my 2 cents....

talked with jacob today and we talked about setting the amps over email of course... and everything he was tipping off to me was correct just with turning the gain way down i should be fine, he said the knob is actually onlt at 6v all the way down. but he also pointed out to me that the box may be allowing the sub to move too far and puts strains on the tinsels, but the box is built by Rich and has very extensive knowledge in car audio period, that why i contacted him.

-also are the recones for BTLs have woven tinsels?

Sign in to follow this