my 75 lincoln is using MUCHO fuel. and looking for a curve, so... would a fuel regulator help me to slow my fuel supply thus saving me money?

i know it will give me weak performace this i do not care about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Speco-Meter-Fuel-Press...1QQcmdZViewItem

No, your car needs a certain amount of fuel to run. Regulating it would cause it to no longer function (properly). (Aftermarket) Fuel pressure regulators are more for performance applications where the stock regulator isnt cutting it. Hope that makes sense, Im not thinking straight. :)

Edited by SteveSan

You ought to learn how a car actually functions before buying random pieces.

Perhaps your carb needs a tune up, or perhaps that's just the best mpg you'll get out of a '75 Lincoln

How do you know it's running rich?

Perhaps your carb needs a tune up, or perhaps that's just the best mpg you'll get out of a '75 Lincoln

i know a bit on how a motor functions.

thanks!

How do you know it's running rich?

i know its running rich for two reasons...... im fouling plugs once a month,.... and when i get on it i have a bit of black smoke... NOT carbon. its fuel.

Rebuild the carb and go from there. The unfortunate thing is, it is a boat and the emissions systems were so poor on the early engines that they hindered performance and economy so badly, they are almost not even worth bothering with. Aside from doing a swap or some serious updates, the only thing that is going to help you is throttle control and that carb.

what makes you think i have no idea how a motor functions.

the wonders of SSA... if someone ask a question about something THEY MUST HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT ANY INS AND OUTS>

You need to chill out dude. You on the rag or something this month?

the wonders of SSA... if someone ask a question about something THEY MUST HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT ANY INS AND OUTS>

You need to chill out dude. You on the rag or something this month?

yeah thats right. 5 days into the month and im on my rag. sucks right.

Rebuild the carb and go from there. The unfortunate thing is, it is a boat and the emissions systems were so poor on the early engines that they hindered performance and economy so badly, they are almost not even worth bothering with. Aside from doing a swap or some serious updates, the only thing that is going to help you is throttle control and that carb.

a rebuild is in the future for sure.

i tryed to adjust the the carb a few diffrent ways and im not getting near where i wanna be...

the next few things on gonna try are,

smaller spray jets.

and new gaskets on the carb,

if i can find anyone that has used the old school style coils that accel makes. ya know the yellow ones,

i have a new coil on there but its just a wells, perhaps if i can lean out the carb some, and get a better spark i can stop fouling plugs,

my coil now is like a yellow arc. i want to have a blue arc,

blue= higher temp = better spark if i remember right.

and then last but not least perhaps a 2 barrel carb,

the only worry i have is having the power to run the a/c while moving a 5000lb car.

thanks for the advice.

without trying to be an ass, he's basing his statement on your original question. just how do you think a regulator will aide in mpg? it's sole purpose is to make sure your carb/ efi is getting proper fuel pressure to run right, it honestly has nothing to do with the mpg your car gets.

after a carb rebuild, if mpg still isn't where you want it, raise the rear gear. drop a 3.02 or something back there. acceleration with be pathetic, but even that will aide in overall mpg. and don't drive the car intown. highway only.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

without trying to be an ass, he's basing his statement on your original question. just how do you think a regulator will aide in mpg? it's sole purpose is to make sure your carb/ efi is getting proper fuel pressure to run right, it honestly has nothing to do with the mpg your car gets.

after a carb rebuild, if mpg still isn't where you want it, raise the rear gear. drop a 3.02 or something back there. acceleration with be pathetic, but even that will aide in overall mpg. and don't drive the car intown. highway only.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

well today i had some time to get under the hood,

i pulled all 8 plugs, i whire wheeled them, and filed just a bit ,

put them back in, adjusted the carb better, adjusted the idle, and changed the timing a little, i allso needed to find a happy place in the air fuel mix to run the a/c .

i had it very close then i had one plug foul out, i found the plug, and replaced it, but i did se somthing i didnt like,

a piece of the fiber from the heat mat on the hood was blaketed over my plug. no good,

so i need a better air filter.

but i think i have found a better settings for now,

i ordered a carb rebuild kit today. so wed. ill be tearing down,. and building up.

when i was 16 i =got my hads on a 67 camero rs with a 327, the old man i got it from had a regulator on it. he told me,

when your in town keep it on #1 setting. when you wanna whoop ass turn it to #4 setting. i said ok,

i didnt know if it was for fuel milege or what it was for, and to be honest never mattered to me. gas was never an issue and i always had money!.

but now fuel is a diffrent cost, and and i have many cars to supply.

man whtats messed up wt my 93 ltc is that i changed everything and now am getting worse gas mileage, lol

k&n filter, platinum +2 bocsh plugs, took off the muffler so it could breath and put a glass pack on there...pcv valve, sythetic oil & filter, and ummm fuel filter..

went fromabout 13mpg to 8, lol wtf

runs alot smoother and all but gas mileage my ass 8mpg lol

How bad is your gas mileage?

You definitely have carb issues, glad you are addressing them. Personally I'd doctor the exhaust a bit as well as everything in it in 75 wasn't so efficient.

man whtats messed up wt my 93 ltc is that i changed everything and now am getting worse gas mileage, lol

k&n filter, platinum +2 bocsh plugs, took off the muffler so it could breath and put a glass pack on there...pcv valve, sythetic oil & filter, and ummm fuel filter..

went fromabout 13mpg to 8, lol wtf

runs alot smoother and all but gas mileage my ass 8mpg lol

take the glass pack off, and go with a true performance muffler. i'd wager you don't have enough backpressure, causing a drop in mileage. samething (sorta) happened with my road king. took teh baffles out, alor more vroom and noise. but gas mileage dropped from 40 to around 30-32. put the baffles back in, i'm back up to 40. and it's an injected bike with intake work and aftermarket slipons (mufflers).

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

yea i was thinkin that i might put a magnaflow on there cuz they are pretty cheap at my job, and yea i was thinkin the pack would be louder but not really, so it will probably sound about the same

i got my carb rebuilt, its no longer leaking fuel on my intake,

does anyone know the wires i need on my choke. its a holly 600 or maybe an 800 either way its kinda standerd from what im told.. no one can tell me the wires i need to run to have it choke and un choke on its own.

i found this.... http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarti...pair/index.html

The center terminal is +12 and the outer terminal is ground. Make sure its constant +12V.

The center terminal is +12 and the outer terminal is ground. Make sure its constant +12V.

the page says to hook it to a switchable 12v