Sign in to follow this  
shizzzon

ShiZZZoN's AQ2200D story

Well, instead of posting all this in the build log, i'll just post it here because i have a question anyways.

I have\had 2 of these amps strapped together.

When i first strapped them up, after several minutes, the slave went up in smoke. It was concluded that the input stage on the amp got damaged. There was no audio coming through either amp when i first tried using these.

I tried using just the master. No signal at the time until i unplugged the rcas from the HU then plugged em back in... been working ever since, odd but no probs now.

Got the slave amp back in and i did not have any subs hooked up to em when i had em strapped again but the slave amp went up in smoke in 4-6 seconds.

The New diagnosis for this problem just came in

It is concluded that the slave amp went up this time because a toroid shorted out. The manufacturer was not given an opinion of the problem meaning that the repair company did not make claims in facts as to how it happened but because the amp had been in repair before, they decided to blame it on the previous problem just for the sake of customer service.

Now my question is, under what you now know what this amp has been through, what would you think might cause a toroid to short?

Shipping damages? previous damages or somethin else?

I already made this announcement in person to friends, but if something else happens with these amps that is out of my control... i'm changing equipment. I have been driving 400lbs of paper weight for about a month and am already gonna miss the Street Warriors show tomorrow....

As long as they work this time it's all good. I got enough money to buy whatever so if i have to, i'll go crazy over some sundowns if i have to but this topic isn't about sundown so don't get carried away, :)

Wanna hear somethin funny?

I'm such a bass fiend that i have not been completely depressed over no bass since the car show is tomorrow, all kinds of vehicles that i drive with to and from work are jammin their setups everyday so i got some sort of bass with me, hehe, just nothing i can actually hear in terms of what's playin over there.... but i'll get mine soon enough.

Sounds a little like shoddy selection of amplifier components or possibly a crossed trace on the circuit board. Jacob would be the one to quiz though.

2 things :

1. Crappy build. You CAN'T damage a torr if you don't work on it. The ones who built it are at fault, if the torr is actually shorted out.

2. Major bullshit from the ones who diagnosed it.

Solution :

Forget about the Hifonics 2607. Oops, I meant AQ 2200. If they are spewing such bs and want to blame the trouble on you, tell them to screw themselfes.

Sorry to hear that, did you post this on CA.com / ROE to see if anyone else had the same problem?

i'm not posting it over there on CA. I had originally posted the first problem, the input problem, but eventually came to be that i had a problem with the rcas that resulted in failure.

I had enough idiotic replies just within that article from people who don't think. If i were to post this over there, they'd probably try to make me believe my car isn't capable of playing music... Somethin stupid.

I was talkin with DB-r last night and got this questioned answered on a level i wasn't expecting, hehe.

If i have future problems, i'll probably have him take a look at it and if he doesn't like what he sees for future durability... if this happens again, then i'll just switch amps.

Bummer, I guess it is just one other reason to avoid the Hifo-AQ stuff.

No idea what the problem is, but hopefully it gets worked out for you. I think this is the first I've heard of an aq2200 letting the magic smoke out. I ran an aq2200 for a short bit with no problems and the dood I sold it too isn't having any issues.

I know after repairs, amps are usually bench tested, maybe they should be bench testing this one in a strapped config before shipping it out so they know that in your scenario it should work.

If a torroid was shorted out before shipping though, you'd think a bench test woulda caught that.

Oh well, hopefully it works for you this time around man.

Torroids don't just short out. You need to mechanically damage one to cause a short. The wires are coated and you have to scratch 2 wires, in their contact point, to get a short.

Meaning either someone f'ed up during production (these are still hand wound) or someone worked where they shouldn't have worked. Or it's plain bs because they can't find a reason why the amp failed.

They wouldnt make up an excuse, that would hurt the company's reputation BIG TIME.

Wait til the end of this week guys. I'll be gettin the amps back wed or thurs.

They were todl to test them strapped but i was never told that they specifically said that they did just were told to. They did test the master amp and found no faults, i hope that includes the strappable output section too.

I seriously cant wait any longer because i gotta test these amps strapped and compare them to the SAX1500ds that i said i was gonna do!

Oh, and i am suppose to be getting a Hifonics 1600w amp in soon from a member on here so i can test it as well and see how it does. IT's not to use, just to test.

Well hopefully DJ gets you taken care of, he's a great guy to deal with. And I know how it goes having a setup ready to rock and having one component of it fail, sucks when you get everything done and have to wait to fire it up :(

Of course he is, he's a great person to deal with. He's ALWAYS there when i call.

I was thinkin about havin an AQ forum here but honestly, i don't know if that would work because he sounds pretty busy and may not be able to dedicate time like other companies have here.

Ya I got a friend thats good friends with DJ I have called DJ several times to trying to get some Hd3 18"s. He seems like a super nice guy.