OmegaBunny

Sub question...

I have been looking at the Loaded SSA Icon, the Fi Bl, SI Mag, and a couple other subs but cannot decide on a size. I want to keep most of my cargo are in my Durango, but want to ensure that my sub will get plenty loud. Will a single 12 with 1,200-1,600 watts be up to the task of getting loud or should I sacrifice a little more room and go with a 15? Also, I would like to be able to run sealed if possible but ported will be fine, retain some SQ, while feeling it in my chest, if possible. Any help would be great.

I know that, I was just wondering what the output difference between a 12" and a 15" would be. If the 12 would still get loud anough to shake the vehicle then I would be happy with it. If ot I would go with the 15. Also, what would the difference in output be from a 12 to a 15 in a sealed enclosure versus a ported enclosure. I know it all has to do with the install, but if someone could chime in with some experience with both as to what to expect.

in terms of guessing-

typically -

1.5 10s equal 1 12

2 - 2.5 10s equal 1 15

1.5 - 2 12s equal 1 15

So there, that's cone area equivalent.

a ported 12 in the right box will compete with a 15 sealed in the right box, if not beat it. box size will be similiar too, ported 12 compared to sealed 15, so saving room between the two is going to be really close. the sealed 15 should hav ethe edge in dropping down low and flattest response, but the ported 12 should hold the edge on a mic.

this assumes similiar model subs and optimum boxes. and is purely speculation based upon previous experience.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I would go with a single 15 because you can make single setups very clean. Plus the fact that if you have some friends that are into car audio, chances are they went with two 12's at the local Best Buy. Not many people put 15's in their car.

(Not gonna lie, I know 6 people with two 12's in their trunk. And every one of their systems sound like s...)

Edited by chad

(Not gonna lie, I know 6 people with two 12's in their trunk. And every one of their systems sound like s...)

Than you should point them here so we can help them fix their problems. :)

Than you should point them here so we can help them fix their problems. :)

I would if I was friends with them. They were underclassmen at my old high school who thought they were sweet with RF P1's.

LOL

I remember when one kid was like "hey check out my system." I walked over and he had a Kicker sub from......maybe..... 1995? The surround was like made of foam. And half of the surround was rotted and gone. So you couldn't really hear the bass, it was more like a flutter that you would hear from a lawnmower. I can't describe the sound in letters, but I'm sure you ALL have heard it at some time or another.

the SI Mag only comes in 12" so if you choose that, that's what you get. Unless you go used and get a previous version.

I'd do 2 sealed of those.

I want to keep most of my cargo are in my Durango, but want to ensure that my sub will get plenty loud.

The problem of course is that size does matter, both in aspects of the diameter of the driver but also the enclosure. If you truly want your system to wallop you are going to have to give up cargo area.

Go get you an 18" Q seal that Mo faky and call it a day.

That's how I roll.

=)

And I'm going for SQ

Ive got a 12" Icon in around 2.25ft^3 ported and it hits pretty hard. I'd like to mic it someday just to see how many db's it actually hits. Ive gotten used to it though so two 18s are next.