Philanthro

Where to start...

I've been thinking about getting a gym membership for a couple of months now, and I am hoping I could get some general pointers from some of you who are experienced.

Right now I'm not even sure what I can/want to get out of going to the gym. I am pretty big into wakeboarding, and I race motocross fairly frequently. I love both of these sports, and I think I could take them to the next level if I spent time training at the gym to get in shape.

I'm fairly slim right now, measuring 6'2" in height and I weigh around 145-150 lbs. If it matters, I'm 17 years old right now. I'd like to gain strength and cardio to help me improve at the sports I mentioned above, and a nice toned body thats moderately "ripped" would be nice.

So I guess right now I'm trying to figure out approximately how much time (hours per day, days per week) would be required to meet these goals, and what kind of exercises I should be looking at doing.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Philanthro

Start with the basics and build a solid foundation. Develop a stable and functional core first and learn the simple movements.

If you want, I can send you a basic program I use for my beginner clients. It will give you a good start and introduce you to a lot of basic movements. To start, you are probably looking at 2-3 days per week performing total body workouts and in-and-out in just over an hour. You mentioned training for sports - I'd love for you to spend the $50 for a one hour consultation with a trainer at your gym just to get familiar with the squat and deadlift for sure.

Start with the basics and build a solid foundation. Develop a stable and functional core first and learn the simple movements.

If you want, I can send you a basic program I use for my beginner clients. It will give you a good start and introduce you to a lot of basic movements. To start, you are probably looking at 2-3 days per week performing total body workouts and in-and-out in just over an hour. You mentioned training for sports - I'd love for you to spend the $50 for a one hour consultation with a trainer at your gym just to get familiar with the squat and deadlift for sure.

That sounds great, a basic program would be very helpful. Two to three days a week doesn't sound bad at all. I wouldn't mind spending more time if necessary... Is it important to start out doing smaller work outs, or is it ok to dive right in and start spending a lot of time. For instance, a friend of mine usually goes to the gym for 2-3 hours a day, 5-7 days a week. Would it be unhealthy for me to suddenly start his routine and be stressing my body that much? As I said I don't mind jumping in and putting in a lot of time and effort, but I don't want to over do it either.

your schools don't have a weight training program? I was small before high school, I'm 5'11" and 190 lbs going into my senior year. Normally the weight training is just for football players and such, but they allow everyone to join in.

I always ask people how is their eating habits like?

Can't really go anywhere without being properly nourished to get optimum results.

I didn't know that there were other young people on this forum other than me. I am 17 myself :)

I honestly do not believe in going to the gym. I work out every night (maybe skip a night every once in a while to recover) in my basement. I have very basic materials with no machines. Why? Because I use my own body weight. And I believe that when you work out with your own body weight, your body looks VERY proportional to itself. And there are a lot more factors that decide your results other than lifting weights. It's basically a full time job.

My girlfriend says that my abs are comparable to "the guys on abercrombie bags".

I am not going to waste my time talking about what I do if you are not interested at all.

But if you are curious, you can PM me and I will more than happy to work with you.

yes i do watch what i eat, just being that heart disease runs in my family, and don't need to start now. I am just looking to get more build and become tone too. I had worked out for quite a while then lost intrest like last month and i got bored with it. I was lifting with a friend, but he was way to weak and couldn't keep up with my workouts, and I got sick of always having to change the weights for him and waiting.

There is no arguing you can do the same thing outside of the gym for free or minimal cost versus going to the gym.

Just be careful what you say if you are not certified and hold insurance ...

I honestly do not believe in going to the gym. I work out every night (maybe skip a night every once in a while to recover) in my basement. I have very basic materials with no machines. Why? Because I use my own body weight. And I believe that when you work out with your own body weight, your body looks VERY proportional to itself. And there are a lot more factors that decide your results other than lifting weights. It's basically a full time job.

x2 on doing bodyweight exercises, then hit the weights when you think you're ready.

x2 on doing bodyweight exercises, then hit the weights when you think you're ready.

If you want to get big, then yes, weights are the way to go. But if you want to stay cut with a very dense build, then stick with your body weight.

I'd definitely start slow and work up. Not only is that huge amount of sudden stress bad for you, but you'll likely be really sore and achy and may lose motivation to go back for a while. A moderate amount of soreness actually feels good because you know you're improving and that you've accomplished something. It only takes me a time or two of going to the gym after a long layoff to start feeling more powerful and with a bounce in my step.

Seeking the advice of a professional like Chevy350TPI said is a good idea. But some basics I think are good are to make sure and work your full body. Not necessarily all at once (though some people do, like the guys who were training for the movie 300), but over the course of your few times going to the gym per week, have all the muscles covered. Also, incorporate wider range exercises. Those that target only one specific muscle are fine and should be used, but you want to develop the tendons and ligaments just as much as the muscles, relatively speaking.

As they all said, eating right is just as important as doing the exercises. fruits and vegetables are just as important as the protein.

Also, try not to get discouraged as it will take time. I did a regimen last summer and gained about 10 lbs over about 2.5 months going 3-4 times a week. However, I'm also tall at 6'3", and it was hard to see it on me (went from 175 to 185). I really didn't look much bigger, but I did have more tone. So don't get discouraged by not being able to see it as much as you'd like. Although since you're more slim to begin with you might be able to see it better. I also have a fairly big bone structure that has to be filled out.

Lastly, you'll likely have to eat more. If you aren't gaining weight right now it's because you're calorie intake equals your use. When you work out you'll be burning even more calories, too. Try and eat 5 smaller meals during the day instead of 3. That will keep your body with a better and more constant supply to repair and build with.

Edited by KU40

I'd definitely start slow and work up. Not only is that huge amount of sudden stress bad for you, but you'll likely be really sore and achy and may lose motivation to go back for a while. A moderate amount of soreness actually feels good because you know you're improving and that you've accomplished something. It only takes me a time or two of going to the gym after a long layoff to start feeling more powerful and with a bounce in my step.

Seeking the advice of a professional like Chevy350TPI said is a good idea. But some basics I think are good are to make sure and work your full body. Not necessarily all at once (though some people do, like the guys who were training for the movie 300), but over the course of your few times going to the gym per week, have all the muscles covered. Also, incorporate wider range exercises. Those that target only one specific muscle are fine and should be used, but you want to develop the tendons and ligaments just as much as the muscles, relatively speaking.

As they all said, eating right is just as important as doing the exercises. fruits and vegetables are just as important as the protein.

Also, try not to get discouraged as it will take time. I did a regimen last summer and gained about 10 lbs over about 2.5 months going 3-4 times a week. However, I'm also tall at 6'3", and it was hard to see it on me (went from 175 to 185). I really didn't look much bigger, but I did have more tone. So don't get discouraged by not being able to see it as much as you'd like. Although since you're more slim to begin with you might be able to see it better. I also have a fairly big bone structure that has to be filled out.

Lastly, you'll likely have to eat more. If you aren't gaining weight right now it's because you're calorie intake equals your use. When you work out you'll be burning even more calories, too. Try and eat 5 smaller meals during the day instead of 3. That will keep your body with a better and more constant supply to repair and build with.

Thanks everyone, all the tips so far have been great. I like getting several perspectives on this as well, since there is always more than one right answer to questions like this.

Chevy, I'm still interested in that basic workout and stuff, if you could PM it to me that would be great.

If anyone has anything else to add please don't hesitate! This has all been very helpful! :)

Also, I've read in several different places now that there are various different ways of doing crunches and situps, and that they work different parts of your abs. If anyone has any info on these, that would be great.

TIA

The rectus abdominis is one muscle ... the entire muscle activates when performing exercises - targeting "upper" or "lower" abdominals is about as useful as performing isolation exercises or trying to work your "inner" and "outer" chest.

EDIT ~ Double post.

I'll shoot you a PM soon with some info. If I don't, remind me.

get me some info too, if you could.

Just a starting exercise schdule for a month or so, just to get started. I am starting running tomorrow, and possibly hitting free weights every other day.

You have no idea how many track runners I know that have knee problems. It's not as simple as just running. And if you don't have a set of orthotics then I will guarantee as time passes you will get more headaches, knee pain, hip pain, back problems because of spine misalignment, and god forbid permanent knee damage that will be with you until you die.

P.S. This is why I don't run :) Buy a jumprope.

There are two types of people replying in this thread.

One, are the internet know-it-alls.

The other, is working on his PhD is this subject.

Guess who is who...

hah, i understand your meaning chad. I ran track and soccer for my years back in middle school and most of high school. My hip already pops and my left knee hurts somehwhat when i run. My dad runs/walks about 4 miles a night, so i figure i would start with him by running/biking/rollerblading.

Pain from running comes almost entirely from improper mechanics and running surface. Stride length, and to an extent frequency, can only be trained up until your mid-teen years, so drastically trying to change those two factors now is not likely to happen. The object of running is not to slam your feet to the pavement ... you want to keep your head as level as possible and propel yourself forward instead of up and down.

Try running on something other than asphalt/concrete - grass, crushed brick, in water, and rubberized tracks (although controversial as of late). I just spent $60,000 on five new treadmills that, instead of one solid track, utilize floating rubber slats that conform to the bottom of your foot every time you take a step ... not too soft to throw your mechanics off, but just soft enough to absorb a lot of the impact which takes stress off the ankle, knee, and hip joints.

Try to avoid huge jumps in training intensity. External rotators and hip abductors should be strengthened to help prevent internal thigh rotation. Knee pain can often stem from a high Q angle of the femur or overpronation of the foot - have your posture checked out. Sometimes strengthening your vastus medialis quadricep muscle alone can help reduce or eliminate knee pain by ensuring that your patella is tracking along the femur correctly. Utilize a proper dynamic warm-up and always stretch afterwards (especially your IT band, hamstrings, gastrocnemius, soleus, and quadriceps. Use proper shoes and perhaps invest in orthotics or high quality insoles custom made for you. Icing your knees and/or shins after running may help keep inflammation down if you start to feel pain.

Same thing applys for cycling. A huge percentage of the clients I see complain of knee pain from riding. The vast majority of those individuals leave in no pain once their cycle is realigned and their feet are properly placed.

Guess who is who...

So. Basically what you are saying ANeonRider is that everything I say is bull$hit and that I copied and pasted everything from the Internet to make myself sound smarter than I really am. Don't cut me down because you have nothing else better to do and that you don't know $hit about exercising.

Don't get me wrong, Chevy has a wider range of knowledge than I do in more than one subject about this matter, but that to me means nothing. I have enough experience behind me in what I do to know what does and doesn't work. What I do works for me, and I try to share it because I'd rather have him learn by mentors, rather than mistakes.

You still think I'm talking out my a$$?

hah, i understand your meaning chad. I ran track and soccer for my years back in middle school and most of high school. My hip already pops and my left knee hurts somehwhat when i run. My dad runs/walks about 4 miles a night, so i figure i would start with him by running/biking/rollerblading.

I've been there, done that, and sadly have minor consequences that will never go away.

Think, next time you try to cut another member down.

Guess who is who...

Thanks for that. I merely offered my perspective and personal experiences. If you'd read my post again you'll see that I credited Chevy for his expertise.

I guess we should just all stop replying in threads and giving our opinions unless we are doing graduate work on the subject.

Edited by KU40