cubdenno

Little Sundown System

Well, after ordering a SAE1000D from Db-r my boy couldn't wait to do the car he would like to call his (of course I make the dang payments). We mounted a Pioneer Premier head unit. Clarion Pro Audio 4 channel amp Alpine components in the front doors an ancient MTX 3 10 inch sub box and the Sundown amp. I ordered 4 E8's from Mike and when they get in it will be either order a box or build one. Still need to get some loom to neaten up the wires but not a bad little install for 3 hours work.

I have got to say the Sundown is powering the MTX box well. The box sits at 4 ohm so the output is around 300 watts. It hits hard!

When we installed the stereo last Sunday, I did everything first but the head unit. I told my boy that we should check and make sure the deck would power up. I made him get a CD. He asked how much longer. I told him oh soon. Only 3-4 more hours. He was crushed until the deck powered on and the bass started hitting. He tried not to smile but the corners of his mouth kept turning up. All his buddies love it. Hopefully we can sell some Sundown stuff for Jacob! Between this 1000 and my 1500, the locals are in awe.

The head:

IMG_0052.jpg

Old school BOOM

IMG_0053.jpg

Package tray of Power

IMG_0054.jpg

The Beast

IMG_0055.jpg

The boy and his ride @Sundown

IMG_0057.jpg

Edited by cubdenno

nice... you will be very pleased when you get your ohm load closer to 1

good job

nice... you will be very pleased when you get your ohm load closer to 1

good job

Thanks for the complement.

The thing is @ 4 ohms it is absolutely killing! All his little buddies want to buy the subs!! Which he is going to sell to help pay me back for the 8's. I am excited about the 8's and 1000 watts!

yeah those tri boxs wernt made for huge power...

yall are gonna do a single 8?

yeah those tri boxs wernt made for huge power...

yall are gonna do a single 8?

Also that box would take, according to the specs 1200 watts. I had 900 on it at one time. No issues

That's cool man glad you are able to help your kid out in getting good equipment the first time. If only everyone had a good influence to help purchase good equipment . I know i started with some POS brands lol

That's cool man glad you are able to help your kid out in getting good equipment the first time. If only everyone had a good influence to help purchase good equipment . I know i started with some POS brands lol

Well I made all of those mistakes buying stuff. Instant gratification generally costs more in the long run. Of course his appreciation goes up the more his friends want his stuff.

I hope when my son is old enough we can share the same thing.

Well due to my busy schedule we had not done much on his system. We were going to order a box from Mr. Marv, but due to a glitch in his grades and his lack of funds for a box and shipping, I decided to do a father and son project. We ordered a box design from Pete and have commenced to building one together. Slow going because i travel during the week and he has basketball practice and he works 16 hours on weekends (I am a hard ass about teenagers working) AND I expect him to be involved and learn something it is taking more than a couple of hours. But here are some pics of what we have accomplished. We should have it done by next weekend.

The speakers:

Picture.jpg

The design:

DaBox-1.png

The start:

1204081905.jpg

The dad (me) cutting it out:

1204081923.jpg

The puzzle to put together:

1204082052.jpg

The boy laying it out:

1204082123.jpg

The layout:

1204082122.jpg

Screwing it together for fit:

Picture080.jpg

Mostly together:

1207081327-1.jpg

Gluing together now:

1207081338a.jpg

Slowly coming together:

1207081545-1-1.jpg

that box is gonna be so hot

that box is gonna be so hot

Thanks man!!! I am as anxious as he is to hear it. But purposely taking my time so we don't screw things up. Pete does some fantastic designs.

awwwww I want that saw!

Yeah it is pretty sweet.

On a side note, I just finished the last two boards for the ports. just got to put the port brace in and finish the top/cut the holes for the speakers gonna let the glue dry.. This thing is freakin huge!! For 8" woofs that is. My boy painted Sundown on the top/baffle in art class. I will post the pic later with the rest of the pics of the box. Thinking about painting the port path of the box. Any benefits? or should I not bother?

awwwww I want that saw!

Yeah it is pretty sweet.

On a side note, I just finished the last two boards for the ports. just got to put the port brace in and finish the top/cut the holes for the speakers gonna let the glue dry.. This thing is freakin huge!! For 8" woofs that is. My boy painted Sundown on the top/baffle in art class. I will post the pic later with the rest of the pics of the box. Thinking about painting the port path of the box. Any benefits? or should I not bother?

No not really, just paint what is visible.

Thats a pretty sweet box. Not gonna lie, kinda wish I had room for something like that. Great Job!

Thats nice. Man, I wished I had someone to help with an awesome box like that. Also, I am going to steal that saw of yours. lol.

That is a really nice box !! I'm following this thread. It makes me feel like I"m doing something wrong by putting my E8's in the doors and rear deck ehhehehe.

Thats nice. Man, I wished I had someone to help with an awesome box like that. Also, I am going to steal that saw of yours. lol.

Only about 4 hours from you. Good summer weekend project!!

very nice box. good build quality also :)

Well, it's Saturday morning and we had a productive night. We got the port painted. The baffle cut and the T nuts set. Well not all of the T nuts. The dad pulled a brain fart and did not buy enough T nuts or 10-24 bolts to mount the woofs. So we have 4 per woof. Also Parts Express only sent 1 terminal cup. So we did not seal anything up regarding the baffle. Just half ass screwed it down and took the beast of a box in the house and hooked it up to the HT subwoofer amp. Wired at 16 ohms... Wow. Its an old Polk Audio 100 watt @ 8ohms 150 watts @ 4. We wired it to 4 ohms and it rocks the house. It really blends in with the rest of the system. gonna watch the new batman on it today.

1211082200.jpg

1212082201.jpg

1212082213.jpg

th_MVI_0140.jpg

The boy painted the Sundown Emblem on the box in art class.

Edited by cubdenno