F-150 Murphy

Help me with my f-150

i have an f-150 lariot 2000 and i wanna replace the speakers and put in a sub.I also wanna replace the head unit. I wanna spend around 400-500 dollars any reccomendations? and i need someone to install it so should i order parts online and have someone at a sound solutions store install it for me? please help a noob

Edited by F-150 Murphy

welcome to ssa

just do it yourself, one of the easiest things to do. i think you have 6x8's all around like mine, and thats easy to replace, adding a sub is easy too, switching h/u's it's more time consuming then challenging. first off, you need to figure out what you're trying to aim for, sq or spl? daily use? max dimensions for your box etc...etc...

Something to remember, SSA is an internet-only company and doesn't have stores.

spl? and i just want to know what to know what you think i should buy

Before the people that know what they are talking about can figure out what might suit your personal needs best they need to know some basic things about what music you listen to, is this your daily driver, are you looking to roll up to the stoplight and cause people to roll up their windows. You need to ask yourself "what do I want out of this system I am putting in".

As an example, You listen to lots of classical piano music and its really important to you to hear very crisp clean highs but since you dont listen to alot of hip hop your needs on the bass end are not so demanding. This will let them know if your going for more of an SQ sound or SPL sound. If its your daily driver you dont want/need 10,000 watts of amps and subs making your eyes bleed on your 20 minute commute. So even if you have no idea what all the catch words and initials are just describe what you want out of the system in your own words and the pro's will be able to break it down and come up with some suggestions. The better you break it down the better they can come up with something to fit your budget and your listening habbits.

:WELCOME:

so im looking for a good system for hip-hop and rock and around 500 bucks.And yes i just do around a 20 minute commute.

Edited by F-150 Murphy

so im looking for a good system for hip-hop and rock and around 400 bucks.

I'll warn you right now $400 will not get you very far.

So the f-150 is your daily driver, you listen to Rap and Rock and you like it loud which leads you away from SQ or sound quality and you have a budget of $500. Is your truck and extended cab? do you have any room for a sub box if so what is the size of the space it would fit in. Understand that $500 is not alot to work with if your buying new equipment. What kind of carpentry skills do you have? Could you make the sub enclosure if you can fit one into the truck? Right now with what you have said you want your shopping list looks kinda like this:

Head Unit

2 pair of 6x9 speakers

Sub

Enclosure

amp/amps

Misc installation kits, wire, etc.

You still need to provide alot of information. How large of a sub enclosure can you fit being the place to start. Could you do the Head unit and 6 x 9 speakers at say $500 and then revisit the build to add your sub stage if so your going to be happier with the system and will open up alot more options.

well its a super crew but i dont think its extended cab. And i was thinkingof just having a store near me install it for me. and yeah theres alot of space below the seat for a sub box i think. like 1 foot high and 4 feet wide

Edited by F-150 Murphy

If the circuit city near you is at all like the new one that when in near me their car audio section is really bad. Best Buy will at least offer you a better selection. As for your getting a new head unit and a sub your problem is going to be what is going to power the sub. Your going to have to buy a Head unit, and amp for the sub as well as an enclosure for the sub. Getting all that done on a 400-500 budget and paying retail price at one of the big box stores probably will not happen and if it does the product you end up with will be crap. I would bet most of the people here would advise you to get a good head unit and the 6x9s as your first step. Building a good system is like building anything else you need a good foundation and that starts with the head unit. Spend your money on that. The SSA store has some Pioneer premier head units at good prices check out this:

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/zencart...;products_id=35

This unit has 3 sets of 4 volt preouts including one for a sub, this will help when your ready to buy your sub, box, and amp.

The pioneer also puts out enough power to drive a pair of 6x9 so you wouldnt have to buy an amp.

Add a Good pair of 6x9's, buy the harnesses and dash kits to do the head unit install and pay circuit or who ever your comfortable with to do the install and you should be right around your $400 figure.

It seems like the circuit city near me has a good audio section its almost 25% of the store and i was thinking about buying a Head unit--- the sony CDX-GT320 and a sub-- sony 12" component XSL124P5B. And then buy some pioneer 6x9's. Plus i think circuit city near me has free install.

You wont get all of that done for 500. Installation for all of that would probably be at least $200(including box being built). That'd only leave you 300 for a head unit, a sub, an amp, wiring, and components? Not gonna happen.

If you install it all yourself, then you might be able to get really close to doing all of that, but it'd be chitty equipment. Either up your budget, or do it in stages.

You wont get all of that done for 500. Installation for all of that would probably be at least $200(including box being built). That'd only leave you 300 for a head unit, a sub, an amp, wiring, and components? Not gonna happen.

If you install it all yourself, then you might be able to get really close to doing all of that, but it'd be chitty equipment. Either up your budget, or do it in stages.

they have free installation

they have free installation

Unless they have Mother Teresa installing for them, it's probably worth every penny it costs :)