Sign in to follow this  
b34tBoX

Should a Digital Distrobution Block always stay on?

Hey guys.

I just finished my system and I used a digital distribution block.

This one: http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KNF-22D

It stays on (Displays voltage), even when the car is off. I thought it would have had an automatic shut off, but I guess since it's directly connected to the battery it stays on?

Can anyone confirm. Just seems weird..

Edited by b34tBoX

Well considering the battery is still "on" when the car is off, yes.

Yeah, I know but..

From what I heard. It's supposed to have an auto current sensing circuit.

I have it connected to two amplifiers which are all grounded, including the block on trunk sheet metal..

I've used a stinger dd block in the past and it would turn off about 3-5 minutes after the car was off.

I've used a stinger dd block in the past and it would turn off about 3-5 minutes after the car was off.

Ah, cool man, thanks for the info.

I checked the car after 10 minutes, and it was still on.

I'll check again in another 15-20.

I don't think this thing is going to turn off. It's sitting @ 12.7v if it makes any difference.

No other devices are on in the car.

I have a cheap Lanzar block with volt gauge and it auto shut off. Call Knu and see what they say.

I have a cheap Lanzar block with volt gauge and it auto shut off. Call Knu and see what they say.

I did:

"

Hey just installed the "KonFUSED 2 Way Digital Distribution System".

Item #: KNF-22D

Is it supposed to stay on when the car is turned off.

It seems to not turn off by itself.

I assume the battery drain is very low.

Is this normal?

"

"

It should turn off, it has an auto current sensing circuit, so if any other

device is on it might be keeping the display on too. The draw is extremely

small.

Bill

"

Approx. how long does your DDB take to turn off?

Next step is figuring out how large of a parasitic draw you have... pull out your multimeter, disconnect the battery terminal, put the leads in the correct locations for measuring current, and put the position lead on the battery terminal & the negative the power wire.

Next step is figuring out how large of a parasitic draw you have... pull out your multimeter, disconnect the battery terminal, put the leads in the correct locations for measuring current, and put the position lead on the battery terminal & the negative the power wire.

Sounds like a good idea, but I didn't really understand where I put the probes to measure..

I first disconnect the negative terminal.

Then disconnect the positive terminal and put the DMM inline between the power wire (to distribution block) and positive terminal, and then reconnect the negative terminal to measure?

Edited by b34tBoX

DMM needs to be connected in series to measure current. Don't have your stereo on during this, leave the car off. 10A maximum can be flowed through the DMM before it dies. Use the 10A current connection on the DMM before starting this.

I never once mentioned the negative terminal.

Hey man I have a digital distro block I got at the little German JL store, it stays on all the time but i havent had any problems like with my car starting or anything, and its been in for 4-5 months or so.

DMM needs to be connected in series to measure current. Don't have your stereo on during this, leave the car off. 10A maximum can be flowed through the DMM before it dies. Use the 10A current connection on the DMM before starting this.

Oh OK, is it safe to remove the positive without disconnecting the negative.

I guess as long as I'm not grounded on something..

So remove the power wire that goes to the DDB and put the red probe on the positive battery terminal and the black lead on the power wire?

Make sure I'm using the 10A connection..

Hey man I have a digital distro block I got at the little German JL store, it stays on all the time but i havent had any problems like with my car starting or anything, and its been in for 4-5 months or so.

That's reassuring to hear! :D

Yeah, I can't imagine that the draw is very much, but if it's SUPPOSED to turn off, then dammit it should turn off! ;)

Oh OK, is it safe to remove the positive without disconnecting the negative.

I guess as long as I'm not grounded on something..

HUH ?

12v won't do any harm to you...and there's no risk in removing the positive terminal.

Just connect the dmm in series between the positive battery terminal and the wires that connect to the terminal.

OK, tested it at 10A.

I think everything was set properly.

Got a reading of 0.04

What does that translate to?

pretty much nil.

40mA, not going to have a battery draining problem from that.

Thanks for the help guys!

Edited by b34tBoX

hi there b34tBoX I have the same block and my display light never goes off but i have no problems with it. Hope this helps.

Nice block though

hi there b34tBoX I have the same block and my display light never goes off but i have no problems with it. Hope this helps.

Nice block though

Cool, thanks!