mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

Ryan2 or Kent, when welding 2 metals with different wall thicknesses, do you set your welder to the thinner or thicker one, or in between?

if your talking about where setting your welder in relation to the edges that you are trying to weld together. then i believe you place it at a 45degree angle pointing towards the middle of the thicker metal. if that didn't make sense then i'll show a picture, i can't think of how to explain it in words.

thats my 2 cents, then again you probably don't care what i say whether it's true or not. but i tried.

Penetration depth...

ahh, okay. i have no clue then. sorry my mistake

Don't act like a little dipshit and I won't give you hell. If you haven't realized NO-ONE here respects you blasting music and annoying others, nor do people like bad advice in their threads. Stop that and you won't see me call you out on it.

Burton you might as well give up...... trust me. :lol!:

You can't beat the man at arguing..... I tried...... and failed epically.

k. i'm not trying to give bad advice, i'm just trying to give my own thoughts. sorry. i know when i ask questions, i'd like to see as many opinions as possible.

I've only been here a while and I love it already!! :woot:

Subway is a great place to work btw!! Great people, easy job, decent pay!

k. i'm not trying to give bad advice, i'm just trying to give my own thoughts. sorry. i know when i ask questions, i'd like to see as many opinions as possible.

Opinions not based on some facts or experience should not be shared.

Burton you might as well give up...... trust me. :lol!:

You can't beat the man at arguing..... I tried...... and failed epically.

well i know hahah, i'm not winning considering he has mod powers and i don't. and he is just all around smarter then me. but he keeps giving me crap about everything, and i really see no point in it.

not to disrepect you M5, or anyone on here. i wasn't tryin to start an online fight, just sharing a story about my day and everyone started talkin about how chitty of a person i was for 5 minutes of fun. now can we end this already. please. it's getting rather annoying.

Move to consider his teenagerness topic dead?

TO the top

how is the training? my old company fell through and i'm looking. i considered subway but i didn't know anyone who worked there before.

how is the training? my old company fell through and i'm looking. i considered subway but i didn't know anyone who worked there before.

Wasn't any really...... it is easy.

by opinions i was referring mainly to personal experiences more then just plain thoughts. you gotta start somewhere after all.

Wasn't any really...... it is easy.

sweet. my options are either subway, or a couple different local tourist shops that pay really well. not many places are hiring nowadays :(

Ryan2 or Kent, when welding 2 metals with different wall thicknesses, do you set your welder to the thinner or thicker one, or in between?

For me it all depends on what I am welding and how big the difference is. You can only get full penetration on the thinner material, now you can use a copper backing plate to soak heat out of the thinner material while welding, or put more heat on the thicker material by the way you hold the torch. As long as you get good penetration on the thinner material I'd call it good. What are you welding?

Different subject, one of my biggest problems with MIG welding is that it seems to me a LOT of people never have it turned up hot enough, sure you can get what looks to be a decent bead to sit on the surface, but don't be afraid to turn the voltage and wire speed up. :)

If your interested I have a Lincoln Electric Arc Welding book that I'd be willing to part with (I have two of them), it has about everything you could ever want to know with welding, be it ARC, MIG, TIG, or Gas.

Anywho, I'm out for the evening. Later folks. :)

For me it all depends on what I am welding and how big the difference is. You can only get full penetration on the thinner material, now you can use a copper backing plate to soak heat out of the thinner material while welding, or put more heat on the thicker material by the way you hold the torch. As long as you get good penetration on the thinner material I'd call it good. What are you welding?

Different subject, one of my biggest problems with MIG welding is that it seems to me a LOT of people never have it turned up hot enough, sure you can get what looks to be a decent bead to sit on the surface, but don't be afraid to turn the voltage and wire speed up. :)

If your interested I have a Lincoln Electric Arc Welding book that I'd be willing to part with (I have two of them), it has about everything you could ever want to know with welding, be it ARC, MIG, TIG, or Gas.

0.120" to 0.067" mild steel, and no copper back plate

I wouldnt mind having that book....

by opinions i was referring mainly to personal experiences more then just plain thoughts. you gotta start somewhere after all.

Somehow I feel like you are wordsmithing to change your answer to fit my request. Either way the past is the past, just don't throw "opinions" around in the future.

Shouldn't be that hard really, on something that thin I'd just try for full penetration on the .067 and be done with it. PM me your address and I'll see if I can't get it sent out sometime. :)

Somehow I feel like you are wordsmithing to change your answer to fit my request. Either way the past is the past, just don't throw "opinions" around in the future.

hehe, i suppose i kind of was. though i didn't really think of it as just opinions. i'm not that dumb i usually give advice based on personal taste/experience. i guess my views aren't all that accurate anyways, so your right i wont just toss them around like i suppose i was.

But that is where a TIG torch comes in really handy, you can put the heat exactly where you want it. :)

Then again I'm biased and find TIG welding enjoyable. :)

Ok, now I'm really out for the evening.

good. Now deaden your car and try to minimize the sound that gets out of it to stop annoying people nearby.

deadening really helps that much? my only problem is i'm kinda cheap, considering i'm a student and all. and this is just a temp car untill the snow melts and a good deal comes around on a nicer car. this one has 198,000 miles on it, i'm not sure how much longer it will last. how much do you think it would cost for a whole small suv's worth of deadening? enough to block out most of the noise?

Shouldn't be that hard really, on something that thin I'd just try for full penetration on the .067 and be done with it. PM me your address and I'll see if I can't get it sent out sometime. :)

thanks dude, YGPM

I want a Top

Orange, blue, green, yellow BTW