mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

But that is where a TIG torch comes in really handy, you can put the heat exactly where you want it. :)

Then again I'm biased and find TIG welding enjoyable. :)

Ok, now I'm really out for the evening.

neat, I thought that was one of the benefits of TIG

someday I'd like to learn to TIG too :)

Hmmm, I'll see how bad I can mess up grilled pork loin tonight... Bout to throw it on the grill. :)

I grilled chops last night

I <3 my egg

today about 15 minutes before lunch, somebody pulled the fire alarm. so everyone had to leave the school. well luckily most of the classes cause you to go out the front main entrance of the school. into the teacher parking lot.

well i had the privilege to have my car park in handicap parkin right there with the teachers. i had a cast on my leg and my cripple pass goes untill the end of april =]. not to mention i started driving on saturday after 2 months.

anywayssss it was 23 degrees outside, without wind chill, adn there was a steady 5-10 mph wind chill going on. and everyone except me and 4 of my lucky friend was outside being miserable. we all loaded in my car and i got to blast my system and turn some heads. granet it's only a 12" Q sealed. but it does the job fairly well. and i put all of the windows 1/4 way down so everyone can enjoy my music.

+1 for sharing??

needless to say i got a bunch of jealous fingers.. and the administrators didn't like it too much. i talked to the principle after (she's really chill and laid back) she said that she wants a system like mine for her own car, and she was being completely serious. so i might be building a system for my principle here soon.

p.s. it was nice to show off after 2 months of MIA, plus i'm one of ehh 10 or so kids at my school with a decent system, i think i'm the only one without a RF/Alpine/Kicker/all other big [pathetic] name brands. and i think mine hits harder then theres of equal size. i can't wait to go ported next week!!!

no +1 for sharing, way to be a douche bag

i was sharing the music! and i can only fit so many people in my car. we even tried squeezing the sub that i had when teh fire drill went off in my car! he threatened my friend that if he didn't gtfo he was gonna tell the real teacher that he was swearing, cheating, throwing chit (yes he said chit), punched a whole in teh wall (the sub accidently put a hole in the wall during class =]).

but then the fire drill was over in the middle of his sentence

you really think all those people not inside your car really wanted to hear your music?

I realllly don't like hearing other peoples music. I can deal with it in traffic when the person is passing by without to much of a problem, but when the vehicle is stationary and I can't move out of the range of hearing its a pain in the ass.

I don't like other people hearing my music.

That's because you'd feel embarrassed if anybody heard your Celine Dion, wouldn't you? hehe :)

Most definately :peepwall:

My heart will go oooooooooooooon..... :P

good. Now deaden your car and try to minimize the sound that gets out of it to stop annoying people nearby.

I can still hear a lot outside the car, even though, except the roof, all the panels are pretty dead :(

And ironically, the Volvo is pretty quiet outside, even though it meters over 140dB under 40hz :(

I am not interested in a FWD piece either and never will be, hell I won't even let my wife get one.

I have found several compacts that are very fun to drive, especially given their power-to-weight ratio. The only thing I've ever dislike was the torque steer.l

Yeah, and me and compacts go hand in hand. Nothing quite like a car you put on instead of getting into.

x2

In not as tall I don't this as Sean, but I'm a great big huge and currently really fat guy, and my shoulders are so wide that the B pillar in most vehicles is horrible. And the panel that houses the console etc, on the right of your legs, litteraly will bruise my shin/leg from normal driving.

When my truck was down I drove the wifes cobalt for the week and car pooled. I lost 90% of the hair on the right side of my shin and calf. Damn nordic genes makes everything wide.

deadening really helps that much? my only problem is i'm kinda cheap, considering i'm a student and all. and this is just a temp car untill the snow melts and a good deal comes around on a nicer car. this one has 198,000 miles on it, i'm not sure how much longer it will last. how much do you think it would cost for a whole small suv's worth of deadening? enough to block out most of the noise?

Look at it this way, when you deaden your vehicle, it will sound better. Quite possibly louder inside too.

I have only done the roof of my truck, and my rear cargo area, not even the rear door in my expedition, and I already have better bass response. The only thing not stock is my head unit.

If you buy RAAM it will almost garunteed be cheeper than what you have spent on your system currently.

good. Now deaden your car and try to minimize the sound that gets out of it to stop annoying people nearby.

I can still hear a lot outside the car, even though, except the roof, all the panels are pretty dead :(

Have you tried a foam material.

I have no understanding of why, because from what I understand 90% of deadening is just adding mass, but layers of foam on the roof made it sound so much more dead than just the deadener. I wish I would have put expanding foam in the supports before I put sheets of foam over the supports, but it really made a huge difference.

I can't tell you why, but it made some kind of difference for me, in a big way on the roof.

I wish I would have taken better measurements. We didn't have an accurate SPL meter to measure knocking on the roof without and then with the foam. Our ears told us more, it's hard to get any readings next to a busy street.

Menards royaly EFFED my cabinets.

My house will NEVER be close to done! Sean do you know a good counter top guy? I wanted stone, but my budget is soooOOOoooo stretched ATM. I emailed affordable granite, but heard nothing yet. Jerks.

Looks like the iPhone finally gets tethering, cut, copy & paste, MMS, and A2DP Stereo Bluetooth*. Welcome to the 21st century, Apple.

*$9.95 for the OS upgrade though. Typical Apple douchebaggery...

When is this???????????????????????????????? I want this.............. NOW!!!

June

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/17/live-fr...-preview-event/

I'll stick with my WinMobile devices

Opinions not based on some facts or experience should not be shared.

That's the dumbest thing I've heard all week, especially considering that yesterday was St. Patty's Day and the day before that I spent a few hours with my nephew on Xbox Live

i was admitted to UCSB yesterday, no more lower division classes! :bigclap:

congrats dude!

X2!!!

thanks tom, sean1. :captain:

four years of full time work and community college finally paid off!

I am not interested in a FWD piece either and never will be, hell I won't even let my wife get one.

I have found several compacts that are very fun to drive, especially given their power-to-weight ratio. The only thing I've ever dislike was the torque steer.l

Yeah, and me and compacts go hand in hand. Nothing quite like a car you put on instead of getting into.

x2

In not as tall I don't this as Sean, but I'm a great big huge and currently really fat guy, and my shoulders are so wide that the B pillar in most vehicles is horrible. And the panel that houses the console etc, on the right of your legs, litteraly will bruise my shin/leg from normal driving.

When my truck was down I drove the wifes cobalt for the week and car pooled. I lost 90% of the hair on the right side of my shin and calf. Damn nordic genes makes everything wide.

it's strange how some compacts are deceptively large inside. my dad is 6'9"/245lbs and he fits comfortably in the GTI, it's actually quite efficient in it's use of interior space, much roomier than my accord. i must also say i was holding onto a friends' honda pilot (not sure on the year) for a couple days and it had more interior space (especially headroom) than any other vehicle i've ever driven.

Ryan2 or Kent, when welding 2 metals with different wall thicknesses, do you set your welder to the thinner or thicker one, or in between?

For me it all depends on what I am welding and how big the difference is. You can only get full penetration on the thinner material, now you can use a copper backing plate to soak heat out of the thinner material while welding, or put more heat on the thicker material by the way you hold the torch. As long as you get good penetration on the thinner material I'd call it good. What are you welding?

Different subject, one of my biggest problems with MIG welding is that it seems to me a LOT of people never have it turned up hot enough, sure you can get what looks to be a decent bead to sit on the surface, but don't be afraid to turn the voltage and wire speed up. :)

If your interested I have a Lincoln Electric Arc Welding book that I'd be willing to part with (I have two of them), it has about everything you could ever want to know with welding, be it ARC, MIG, TIG, or Gas.

to go along with what he touched on, i usually will have the welder set for the thicker metal and i'l work the torch as to keep most of the heat on the thicker stuff. i'll work at two different speeds,basiclly, i'll drag the puddle over to the thinner stuff just long enough for good penetration and then run it right back over to the thicker stuff, staying longer there for penetration.

ryan2 is right about MIG, most set it up for a nice pretty bead, but little penetration. i'll run up the voltage/wirespeed and make my bead with pace. thinner stuff, run faster, thick stuff, slow down.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

But that is where a TIG torch comes in really handy, you can put the heat exactly where you want it. :)

not only pinpoint the heat, but you can vary the heat as well on the run. it's also way cleaner, less slag/splatter going about.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

not only pinpoint the heat, but you can vary the heat as well on the run. it's also way cleaner, less slag/splatter going about.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Yep, forgot to mention that, between the footpedeal and filler rod you can be pretty well dead on with heat control. :)

Ryan2 or Kent, when welding 2 metals with different wall thicknesses, do you set your welder to the thinner or thicker one, or in between?

For me it all depends on what I am welding and how big the difference is. You can only get full penetration on the thinner material, now you can use a copper backing plate to soak heat out of the thinner material while welding, or put more heat on the thicker material by the way you hold the torch. As long as you get good penetration on the thinner material I'd call it good. What are you welding?

Different subject, one of my biggest problems with MIG welding is that it seems to me a LOT of people never have it turned up hot enough, sure you can get what looks to be a decent bead to sit on the surface, but don't be afraid to turn the voltage and wire speed up. :)

If your interested I have a Lincoln Electric Arc Welding book that I'd be willing to part with (I have two of them), it has about everything you could ever want to know with welding, be it ARC, MIG, TIG, or Gas.

to go along with what he touched on, i usually will have the welder set for the thicker metal and i'l work the torch as to keep most of the heat on the thicker stuff. i'll work at two different speeds,basiclly, i'll drag the puddle over to the thinner stuff just long enough for good penetration and then run it right back over to the thicker stuff, staying longer there for penetration.

ryan2 is right about MIG, most set it up for a nice pretty bead, but little penetration. i'll run up the voltage/wirespeed and make my bead with pace. thinner stuff, run faster, thick stuff, slow down.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Thanks Kent, that is what I do I just couldn't put it into those words for some reason last night. :)

Going to visit the woman this weekend. :)

Meeting her folks though... :unsure:

Cali,

congrats.

Also I feel quite a bit different about most cars in general... Not only am I tall I'm wide. 50-55+ in sports coats depending on cut. I still can't move my arms in them either. It's not really my gut either. It's all about if my legs fit side to side, and if the b pillar is in the way or not. Example is the Benz CLS. Their "4 door coupe" Roomy enough, but I cannot get in or out of it at all and when I do get in, my left shoulder is jammed against the B pillar area. Same problem in the A 4 from audi or the CLK. All should be ok, but at not. The worst was when I was in a Big Tahoe, and the b pillar made me lean into the cabin.

I will say that VW does a good job. The new beatle is a pretty comfy ride. It just sucks, or else I may have purchased one back when I was in the market for a car. I loved my old jetta save the every other week electrical failures.

Going to visit the woman this weekend. :)

Meeting her folks though... :unsure:

good luck man

Any certified Electricians on the board? Interested in talking to one if you're out there!