mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

does anyone know of a great place to buy GREAT cheese?

On the cheep is good too.

You don't like the selection at Surdyks?

:Doh:

I never even thought to go there. It's so close to work too.

That is why I asked. One of the most comprehensive cheese shops in the state, somewhat helpful people working (when you get the right ones), they will let you sample regularly, and the selection is good. Worth a visit. I buy most of mine at the local Byerlys, Lakewinds, Costco, and some even from Cub...but you can get shit when you don't know what you are doing that way.

Especially with Sean, if you shut the fuck up and stop being a pansy ass and grow some balls you'd learn a lot. Sean knows what he's talking about that's why he's one of the select few on the damn Tech team.

AMEN. I am a Young Bull, Sean is an old Bull.smile.gif

Beside's I don't Know any other way, I guess it come's from upbringing. ie work ethic installed young.

That's VERY true, I'm glad my mamma whooped me into shape! She'd kick my ass to this day if I didn't perform my best :)

I assume you've seen Ferris Buellers' Day Off. Cameron's parents and mine are similar, except that I grew up somewhat poor or at least lower middle class. We had to work for everything. Parents owned a Drycleaners which is sort of like slave labor and I've put in more than 30hrs to work since I was 11. Tough love indeed. I somewhat feel sorry for my son, but then realize that might just be what it takes to turn out okay and hopefully to turn this country around. Its in a downward spiral right now which sucks. PLEASE don't make me move to Canada.

Dry cleaning is one tough gig. I helped my friend who's family is in the biz. He worked more than any kid I knew in highschool. Sometimes for less cash. He was always treated well, but definately worked and worked and worked.

Sean, I know you will have some idea on this too. Anyone else chime in

Kitchen Knives.

I have the basics done. I need a medium/large cleaver but I'll probably get that from a Chinese market on the cheep. I need some some general large kitchen knives. I really love the santoku style. All we have are from Wusthoff, I don't give a damn about brand name or keeping them all the same brand so long as it's quality.

Mainly looking for something to kick ass on large veg.

What's the best way to to sharpen well used knives water stone or a good cold grinding machine

Why a santoku?

Anyways, the BEST knife is ALWAYS the one that fits your hand and cutting style the best. Of course, the minimum pre-requisite is that they are constructed of decent metal and have a decent edge. For chopping I wouldn't look at the knives with the Japanese edge as something more robust works better for that IMO. Slicing, different story.

And yes, I wouldn't worry too much about brands. What have you held?

The Ken Shun's Santoku is nice, but maybe too small for your hands.

I have shorter fingers but a meatly palm. Overall I do have a smaller hand due to the short stumpy fingers. Girth not length.

:D

93753_500.jpg

In truth the wusthoff isn't a traditional japonease santoku I know. It's heavier, taller and thicker blade. I understand a true santoku is usually a verry hard metal and usually thin to aid in cutting. I feel more comfortable with a less curved edge like the "santoku style" when working with veg. Even more so if it's hard or large like a kohlrabi or anything fist sized or bigger. Maybe I should learn to use a normal chef knife but I don't like that I end up feeling like I Have to change what comes natural. For some reason the wusthoff chef knife angles bother me more than the ones I grew up using, or my hand has changed since I was a teenager. When I go for a knife I probably grab something larger than I need but I alwas feel like I have more controll when I have more edge. A cheff knife is amazing on a chicken or for detail work but I never got the hang of rocking on the edge of a cheffs knife.

The Ken Shun knives look nice. I didn't know if they worked as well also or if the cost was all hype.

The top end of wusthoff are comfortable enough in the size range we have now but I don't know if I went bigger if I would like the

Personally I'd get a comfortable chef's knife first. It sounds to me like your problem is that yours doesn't fit your style. I don't own a Santoku, keep thinking about it but I have other priorities. I also haven't found a chef's knife I really love either. I have the Global which is great for anything that requires you to really slice, but I don't like it on hard things so much. I have an F Dick, 12", which is HUGE and cumbersome, but when breaking down a lot of things it works really well. I'd use it more, but I don't have a big arse cutting board which makes it difficult to use effectively. The blade is so long that when breaking down onions I get a little nervous. I have a Cutco, which is crap, but I use it for things that ruin other knives. I have a Chicago cutlery too, which is even crappier, and that just stays in my camping stuff (actually 2 of them do :P ). I have enjoyed using the Ken Onion's, but there are also other more boutique blades that I think may be better for me. Since I haven't played with them yet though, I haven't bought.

For everyone else, hell actually anyone reading this, the FIRST cooking class I would recommend that you take is Knives Skills Course. I haven't and am sure it set me back years in the learning curve. There is a HUGE reason why chef's travel with their knives but don't pack pans. It makes more difference than anything.

That is why I asked. One of the most comprehensive cheese shops in the state, somewhat helpful people working (when you get the right ones), they will let you sample regularly, and the selection is good. Worth a visit. I buy most of mine at the local Byerlys, Lakewinds, Costco, and some even from Cub...but you can get shit when you don't know what you are doing that way.

It completely slipped my mind. This is why I asked. I'll probably go this week. I'm shopping for extra sharp cheddars and strong swiss.

MMmmMm

Personally I'd get a comfortable chef's knife first. It sounds to me like your problem is that yours doesn't fit your style. I don't own a Santoku, keep thinking about it but I have other priorities. I also haven't found a chef's knife I really love either. I have the Global which is great for anything that requires you to really slice, but I don't like it on hard things so much. I have an F Dick, 12", which is HUGE and cumbersome, but when breaking down a lot of things it works really well. I'd use it more, but I don't have a big arse cutting board which makes it difficult to use effectively. The blade is so long that when breaking down onions I get a little nervous. I have a Cutco, which is crap, but I use it for things that ruin other knives. I have a Chicago cutlery too, which is even crappier, and that just stays in my camping stuff (actually 2 of them do :P ). I have enjoyed using the Ken Onion's, but there are also other more boutique blades that I think may be better for me. Since I haven't played with them yet though, I haven't bought.

For everyone else, hell actually anyone reading this, the FIRST cooking class I would recommend that you take is Knives Skills Course. I haven't and am sure it set me back years in the learning curve. There is a HUGE reason why chef's travel with their knives but don't pack pans. It makes more difference than anything.

I think maybe I'll get the chef knife sharpened(allong with all the others) and then go from there. Really find out what I don't like about it when I know it's not the edge holding me back. Come to think of it, the chef knives I have might be the cheepest wusthoff's vs the better santoku and thats why. I do love the feel of cutting an onion with the santoku, just push down and bam it's cut. No point first then rock type shenangins.

I somewhat feel sorry for my son, but then realize that might just be what it takes to turn out okay and hopefully to turn this country around. Its in a downward spiral right now which sucks. PLEASE don't make me move to Canada.

Spank the hell out 'em when they're bad, praise the hell out of 'em when they're good, and try not to spoil 'em rotten and they'll end up OK

Especially with Sean, if you shut the fuck up and stop being a pansy ass and grow some balls you'd learn a lot. Sean knows what he's talking about that's why he's one of the select few on the damn Tech team.

AMEN. I am a Young Bull, Sean is an old Bull.smile.gif

Beside's I don't Know any other way, I guess it come's from upbringing. ie work ethic installed young.

That's VERY true, I'm glad my mamma whooped me into shape! She'd kick my ass to this day if I didn't perform my best smile.gif

I assume you've seen Ferris Buellers' Day Off. Cameron's parents and mine are similar, except that I grew up somewhat poor or at least lower middle class. We had to work for everything. Parents owned a Drycleaners which is sort of like slave labor and I've put in more than 30hrs to work since I was 11. Tough love indeed. I somewhat feel sorry for my son, but then realize that might just be what it takes to turn out okay and hopefully to turn this country around. Its in a downward spiral right now which sucks. PLEASE don't make me move to Canada.

My dad owned a diesel mechanic shop , mother owned a resturant. My first job was sorting bolt's at like 7 or 8 for 2 buck's an hour.My dad is a workaholic and work's 7 day's a week still to this day, Unfortuntly that muthafucka don't know how to show emotion's. But I can eyeball ANY bolt I see and tell you the size, tread pitch, lenght, Grade, head style. Thanx Dad.smile.gif

making them earn the money to buy their first car usually helps too :P

It completely slipped my mind. This is why I asked. I'll probably go this week. I'm shopping for extra sharp cheddars and strong swiss.

MMmmMm

Yummy, Extra Sharp Cheddar!!! I alway's feel for the Hardest chunk of sharp chedder cheese, This way you get the best part of the wheel. I like vintage aged cheddar, the white kind in the black label.smile.gif

I was spoiled like crazy from my mom, but my grandfather instilled a lot into me about hard work, and doing things the right way.

My only wish is I was rasied being forced to push myself harder.

making them earn the money to buy their first car usually helps too tongue.gif

My dad made me earn the money for my first stereo, bike, or anything else I wanted. He would buy me sock's and underwear and anything else He HAD to buy me, But for christmas present's. You GOT what you NEEDED not what you WANTED.

Yummy, Extra Sharp Cheddar!!! I alway's feel for the Hardest chunk of sharp chedder cheese, This way you get the best part of the wheel. I like vintage aged cheddar, the white kind in the black label.smile.gif

Most of the good cheddar I have had was white. It's just a food coloring that makes it orange really. Insanely sharp really works so well in cooking.

My favorites to munch on for samiches though are probably munster and jarlsberg or other more potent swiss.

got a guy from the gas company come over to double check that yes, our furnace is indeed leaking like a sieve

:dammit::madsign:

they put a lock on the gas meter for good measure :glare:

Most of the good cheddar I have had was white. It's just a food coloring that makes it orange really. Insanely sharp really works so well in cooking.

My favorites to munch on for samiches though are probably munster and jarlsberg or other more potent swiss.

My 5 favorite cheezes are Extra sharp chedda', Asiago, Fontina, Longhorn, Feta, But I am alway's trying new ones. If you couldn't tell I like mostly real dry cheese or buttery flovored. As with all food's alot of the challenge in in what you combined them with.

got a guy from the gas company come over to double check that yes, our furnace is indeed leaking like a sieve

dammit.gifmadsign.gif

VERY BADD. Aleast nobody got sick. I hope.dammit.gif

The internet - A place where someone has already asked the question I have and it's just a matter of searching for someone who thinks like muhself to review something.

Chef's Knives Rated - Equipment & Gear - Cooking For Engineers

No "chocolatey mids" type talk in the review. No numerical data though either.

I don't like that test. It will make you want the Global, which IMO is a mistake. I think they make SUPERB slicing knives for long cuts, but shorter cuts (ie chopping) is NOT their forte. I have that exact knife so I have some serious experience with it. All the MAC blades I have used have been nice. Really once you are into quality one that fits you is the one you need. There are other brands as well, but I'd only buy something I have held.

I think maybe I'll get the chef knife sharpened(allong with all the others) and then go from there. Really find out what I don't like about it when I know it's not the edge holding me back. Come to think of it, the chef knives I have might be the cheepest wusthoff's vs the better santoku and thats why. I do love the feel of cutting an onion with the santoku, just push down and bam it's cut. No point first then rock type shenangins.

You shouldn't ever just push down, you always must slice. You need to let the knife do the work for you, working the knife is dangerous.

I'd also bet that an 8" is too small for you.

editedformyspace-1.jpg

Lambo's for the Hoe'....

I despise lambo doors. Only had to get in a car with those things twice....first time I hit my knee and second time I hit my head.

dammit.gifmadsign.gif

VERY BADD. Aleast nobody got sick. I hope.dammit.gif

just a few headaches and some gassy smells the past few days which prompted the call