slim2fattycake

difference between GEL and AGM technologies

I have been searching around for batteries to put in the rear of my car to as extra batteries to power two us amps md2d amps. I am looking at powermaster, kinetiks, deka, and alpha technologies batteries. So, with each of these companies, there are different types of batteries. some have AGM technology while others have GEL technology. What is the difference? Which is better for car audio purposes?

I think with the dekas, there are some GEL and some AGM batteries. I think powermaster is all AGM, right? And alpha technologies has both as well.

Edited by phi

both kinetik and powermaster would be perfect for an extra battery, or even a replacement for under the hood

but i am trying to figure out what the difference between GEL and AGM is and which technology is better for car audio purposes.

GEL and AGM are pretty much the same thing. they store very well and do not tend to sulfate or degrade as easily

but the GEL is best used in VERY DEEP cycle application and may last a bit longer in hot weather applications. so id say GEL would be a BIT better than AGM

They're both types of valve regulated lead acids, the difference lies in how the electrolyte is constructed.

What exactly are you getting at with "car audio" purposes? Competition where you're chasing every last dB?

I may think about doing some competitions but that will be as an amateur and for fun. This is for a mostly daily application.

My set-up plans are what I have in my sig. i don't have the subs yet and I don't have a high output alternator yet either.

Either will be more than enough for what you're doing. Just concentrate on fitting the largest you can.

i just found a PDF online off of some company, i dont remember. there were many windows open. but it shows that the GEL technology is a better choice between the two when moderate to heavy trolling and starting is needed. The AMG technology is weaker in heavy trolling. I don't exactly know what trolling mean. But it seems like GEL > AMG.

Input?

Which battery type were they selling? That one usually does the best :)

And they're referring to boat trolling...in fishing. Electric trolling motors are a pretty heavy load, and the batteries used for such an application are usually large (over 100lbs) and have lots of amp-hours, great for a backup power situation at home or a huge reserve in a vehicle.

I cant remember but I was on websites like apexbattery.com, powerstridebattery.com, etc. they sell many different types of batteries from many different companies. I didn't just look at one siding sites. it must have been a FAQ somewhere.

so what if i found two battery with about the same price, similar amp hour rating, and similar size/weight, but one was incorporated with GEL cells and the other with AGM cells? which do i choose?

edit: okay, I just saw at the left side of the PDF, "which is right for your marine applications". lol.

Edited by phi

I found this on another website that promotes both types.

"The Gel Cell excels in slow discharge rates and slightly higher ambient operating temperatures. One big issue with Gel Batteries that must be addressing is the CHARGE PROFILE. Gel Cell Batteries must be recharged correctly or the battery will suffer premature failure. The battery charger being used to recharge the battery(s) must be designed or adjustable for Gel Cell Batteries. If you are using an alternator to recharge a true Gel Cell a special regulator must be installed."

Gel cell batteries can liquify under heavy vibration. The military uses AGM, so do we for all of our SUPU systems (200kW+).

thank you. I am set now on AGM batteries.

When I am looking at batteries to power my car audio, should I decide on the different batteries' AH rating and, max discharge current rating or short curcuit current rating?

Edited by phi

thank you. I am set now on AGM batteries.

When I am looking at batteries to power my car audio, should I decide on the different batteries' AH rating and, max discharge current rating or short curcuit current rating?

you want to focus on AH

Actually when choosing between battery company's I typically recommend talking to people who have used many of the brands you are considering. Battery ratings are kinda like amp ratings have been over the past few years, and there are a lot of people out there who like to "create" their own specifications without conducting any testing. You can rely on specs from reputable companies like Optima and Odyssey, but there are many others out there who's specs are laughable. AH really has little to do with what we are using the batteries for in car audio. AH is a 20hr test, so for example, a 100Ah battery can produce 5A of current for 20 hours before dropping below 10.5V at room temperature. This test is pretty useless for a car audio enthusiast without some other specifications listed along with it, like internal resistance for example. We have done our best to give wattage ratings for all of our batteries so you can easily choose the right size battery for your system. If you need further assistance with this info feel free to call the tech dept. at 800-862-7223 opt. 4

I agree with ^^^^ Phi this is something i have also had challenges with as i have had ten people give me ten answers

currently i run I normal starter batt with around 20ah and 1200cca connected to duel OPT YT and they work ok but i was tempted to buy a single big ass battery that was 200ah and 1500cca but it was around the 63kg mark and only just fit into the wheel weel

then somepeople say you can get smaller AGM batyts or you can get gel batts whats the difference between them and say deepcycle optimas :Doh:

should have read the rest of the posts

Edited by xMplar

The difference is how far the voltage drops under load. You want the voltage to your system to be as high as possible while you are playing to get the most power to your subs. Flooded and Gel batteries do not do well in this department. AGM is definately the way to go, and just any AGM is not necessarily the answer... they really need to be designed specifically for what we do, not just an off the shelf backup power supply type battery.

i just found a PDF online off of some company, i dont remember. there were many windows open. but it shows that the GEL technology is a better choice between the two when moderate to heavy trolling and starting is needed. The AMG technology is weaker in heavy trolling. I don't exactly know what trolling mean. But it seems like GEL > AMG.

Input?

its when you hook up a small electric motor to a regular sized boat so you can go slow without running the engine(s) while fishing