x3ro

Maybe thinking of three 12" SSD's in sealed box

I'm gonna be putting together a daily driver system soon, and want something that pounds, has control, and sounds bad ass doing it.. I have a 2007 Trailblazer SS....

I listen to a lot of death metal, heavy metal, some alternative, some rap, and techno/electronic type music as well..

I've been kicking around the idea of three 12" Image Dynamics IDQ's, or three 12" Alpine Type R's (i know, not the same league), or even three JL 12w6v2's....

I looked at the Fi Q's, and they're nice, but a little more than I wish to spend per sub. The SSD's are a much better option. I put them in WinISD, and much to my suprise, the response is pretty much spot on with the 12w6v2..

So now, I'm thinking three 12" SSD's each in their own chamber with 1.1cu ft net. I'd like to feed them with a Sundown Audio SAZ-1500D.. Only problem is, I'd have to run them at either 1.33ohm or 1.5ohm.. This would net them about 400-450wrms each sub.

What are you guys' thoughts on this setup? Any other ideas for amps if the SAZ-1500D wouldn't be a good choice? I'll eventually be upgrading my alternator to a 250A unit, but that might not happen at the exact same time as I install everything else. I will be doing the "big 3" upgrade, though.

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated!

I'm gonna be putting together a daily driver system soon, and want something that pounds, has control, and sounds bad ass doing it.. I have a 2007 Trailblazer SS....

I listen to a lot of death metal, heavy metal, some alternative, some rap, and techno/electronic type music as well..

I've been kicking around the idea of three 12" Image Dynamics IDQ's, or three 12" Alpine Type R's (i know, not the same league), or even three JL 12w6v2's....

I looked at the Fi Q's, and they're nice, but a little more than I wish to spend per sub. The SSD's are a much better option. I put them in WinISD, and much to my suprise, the response is pretty much spot on with the 12w6v2..

So now, I'm thinking three 12" SSD's each in their own chamber with 1.1cu ft net. I'd like to feed them with a Sundown Audio SAZ-1500D.. Only problem is, I'd have to run them at either 1.33ohm or 1.5ohm.. This would net them about 400-450wrms each sub.

What are you guys' thoughts on this setup? Any other ideas for amps if the SAZ-1500D wouldn't be a good choice? I'll eventually be upgrading my alternator to a 250A unit, but that might not happen at the exact same time as I install everything else. I will be doing the "big 3" upgrade, though.

Of course, JL doesn't have chit on Fi

450w per driver would sound fine. I'd also add the copper coil option to them.

What does the copper coil option do? Does it make the sub more efficient?

yes, and makes it less likely to "peak". It also increases power handling.

I was going to ask the same thing about all the options..

There's flatwind, copper, then BP power.. What's the BP power?

So you think the copper option would be a good choice?

Will 3 of them with about 450wrms get pretty loud? I want a good mix of LSQ

it'll sound good and loud.

I was going to ask the same thing about all the options..

There's flatwind, copper, then BP power.. What's the BP power?

So you think the copper option would be a good choice?

Will 3 of them with about 450wrms get pretty loud? I want a good mix of LSQ

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...?showtopic=7156

should be sick! i had a 12" ssd with bp power and flatwind coil in a sealed box and it was loud enough and sounded amazing, then i put it in a ported box and it was just that much better! sounded crisp and clean and moved a bit of air just for the little bit of power it was getting. you wont be disappointed man.

It actually decreases power handling.. The flatwind option increases it.

Oh, thanks john. Where did you find that though? I thought it increased it ~ 200 watts.

So the Flatwind makes it more efficient and the copper coil increases power handling?

No, the copper coil adds mass ( heavier ) to the moving parts, has a smoother sound, and making it suitable for sealed. Flatwind handles more power and is more peaky, better suited for ported

do you need 3 subs why not 2 15's sealed. if you like the look thzats cool but you can get 2icon15's and 2 sae1000d for about the same price as the ssd's and saz1500. it would sound great but probably be louder

No, the copper coil adds mass ( heavier ) to the moving parts, has a smoother sound, and making it suitable for sealed. Flatwind handles more power and is more peaky, better suited for ported

So for the power he's using wouldn't he be better off with the sub as stock? Correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't the stock be more efficient than with either of those options?

Edited by Jysoe

do you need 3 subs why not 2 15's sealed. if you like the look thzats cool but you can get 2icon15's and 2 sae1000d for about the same price as the ssd's and saz1500. it would sound great but probably be louder

Mainly because I want to keep my cargo cover in tact in my trailblazer. 14" is the MAX height under the holder. Therefore, 14" is my max box height. I'm sure you can see the problem in that :)

So I decided 3 12's would be just as loud, and sound great with the various types of music I listen to.

And Jysoe, that's a great question.

I'd like to know the answer as well.

Taking price out of the picture, I don't think I'd make that statement...

If you could swing the price without having to sacrifice anything else, I'd probably go with the W6v2s. But the SSDs would be a good option if you didn't want to spend that much, either.

I don't see how 400-450W is a problem, personally :)

Taking price out of the picture, I don't think I'd make that statement...

If you could swing the price without having to sacrifice anything else, I'd probably go with the W6v2s. But the SSDs would be a good option if you didn't want to spend that much, either.

I don't see how 400-450W is a problem, personally :)

Thanks Jim.

Glad to see that someone else sees price as a factor sometimes. Hell, if I had enough money to buy 3 12w6v2's, I probably wouldn't even be on this forum looking at the less known brands!

If you are going to be putting 400 to 450 watts to the SSD's, you should probably just put the copper coil on it.

Someone already correctly said what it does. Lowers power handling a LITTLE bit, but it'll make it a little bit heavier and less likely to have a peaky response in a sealed box.

The BP option changes the spider pack, adds a chamfered pole piece, and adds 6 cooling channels for the coil. It'll bump up your power handling a good bit, but up to 800 watts you won't need it!

I do understand price is a factor. And those subs will sound excellent off of that power going to them!

Oh and about Fi, you cannot go wrong w/ this company. Scott, the owner, is an amazing guy and you will get nothing but excellent, personal service from them. I've loved my experience w/ them!

Edited by nick_19

Mainly because I want to keep my cargo cover in tact in my trailblazer. 14" is the MAX height under the holder. Therefore, 14" is my max box height. I'm sure you can see the problem in that :)

So I decided 3 12's would be just as loud, and sound great with the various types of music I listen to.

And Jysoe, that's a great question.

I'd like to know the answer as well.

just fire the subs up or angle the face you could have fc draw you a blueprint to fit 15's in your space.

Edited by dbjunior

lol i dont think he wants 15's as bad as you want him to

I like the idea of 12's better. More cone area. Less power per sub (more efficient/less stress). And plus it just looks more badass ha!

just trying to show him he could make them fit if he wanted. sometimes people forget little things that could make things work. although i dont know all the dimensions in which he has to fit the box

I like the idea of 12's better. More cone area. Less power per sub (more efficient/less stress). And plus it just looks more badass ha!

the 15's would have a little cone advantage plus it would be cheaper.

just trying to show him he could make them fit if he wanted. sometimes people forget little things that could make things work. although i dont know all the dimensions in which he has to fit the box

Well obviously. I could also build an 8 cubic foot box and make it fit. But that's not the whole point of my install :P I do give you an A+ on your enthusiasm about two 15's though. LOL..