fritosaregood

4 7in woofers, tapped horn

I've been looking into transmission line and tapped horn enclosure for a while, but still dont know a whole lot. here is my attempt at a tapped horn design with 4 7in goldwood woofers($12 each). I have it all put together right now and it sounds really good, but its too late to turn it up real loud so that will wait till mornin. I'm not finished with the build yet though, but i was close to finishin so i decided to see how it sounded so far.

If anyone knows more about the designs, and sees if I'm doin anythin wrong, I'm listenin for advice.

PA230140.jpg

PA230141.jpg

PA230142.jpg

the outside

PA230144.jpg

PA230145.jpg

PA230147.jpg

PA240150.jpg

PA240151.jpg

the inside

PA240156.jpg

PA240158.jpg

PA240159.jpg

PA250161.jpg

PA250166.jpg

PA260169.jpg

bottom piece

PA260170.jpg

PA260171.jpg

PA260174.jpg

wired up to see how it sounds. 4 8 ohms woofers wired to a single 8 ohm load, gettin about 250 watts from my plate amp

PA260176.jpg

Edited by fritosaregood

Use the %7Boption%7D code.

Use the %7Boption%7D code.

thats what I did, i just made a photobucket account, then used that url between the %7Boption%7D code, is that the only way to do it?

The only way I know of.

OK, i fixed it. i had to edit part of the url inside the %7Boption%7Dcommand

Make them bigger!

OK, i fixed it. i had to edit part of the url inside the %7Boption%7Dcommand

Make them bigger!

how

HAHA, I have no idea actually :P

:woot: It looks great!

thanks, if this enclosure works out really well I'm goin to make another one for 4 of the sundown E8 subs

I'm thinking about some E8's as well, for midbass.

thanks, if this enclosure works out really well I'm goin to make another one for 4 of the sundown E8 subs

I'm thinking about some E8's as well, for midbass.

Im goin to use one for that too, ive already got an enclosure built that goes behind my center console

where is the horn opening?

I'm trying to picture the airflow, but this design isn't like anything I've seen before. It looks like the back wave can go both up the inside between the two boxes as well as inside the inner box? Where does the back wave exit the enclosure? I just can't see it from the pictures.

Well seems like you just tossed together an attempt at a tapped horn...I would model this first in Hornresp.

Also a proper tapped horn subwoofer for four 8" subs is going to be pretty big.

www.diyaudio.com has ENDLESS knowledge of tapped horns.

I'm trying to picture the airflow, but this design isn't like anything I've seen before. It looks like the back wave can go both up the inside between the two boxes as well as inside the inner box? Where does the back wave exit the enclosure? I just can't see it from the pictures.

from what i thought happens, one wave is pushed between the two boxes and comes out the center of the inner box, while the other wave comes out the center box without goin inside the box, its length is 1/4 45 hz wavelength. I tryed to get it like the box on here, http://www.cowanaudio.com/th.html , except mine is like havin 4 of them put together.

Well seems like you just tossed together an attempt at a tapped horn...I would model this first in Hornresp.

Also a proper tapped horn subwoofer for four 8" subs is going to be pretty big.

www.diyaudio.com has ENDLESS knowledge of tapped horns.

a little. but i did do learn a little about them first, and had to do alot of math on how i thought these designs worked, but idk how one for 4 8" subs would have to be much bigger than this, the height should stay the same, but the width would be wider, the Xarea of the 7" woofers is 86.6 sq in and for the 8"s its 111 sq in.

oh, I was confused with the second to last picture. I thought the drivers were mounted on the outside box. But now I see that picture is of the inside box, without the outside box over the top of it yet.

Did you read somewhere that putting four of them together like that would work? In my thinking, it wouldn't react the same as just one. But maybe I'm wrong.

Did you read somewhere that putting four of them together like that would work? In my thinking, it wouldn't react the same as just one. But maybe I'm wrong.

No, all ive seen is one sub with, but i wanted to try 4 together to see how it would work, and i thought it would look nice, but doin it this way was alot more math. its been gettin pretty loud, especially for the pos woofers, but if i listen to it up close near the opening, there is alot of air flow noise, but about 5 feet away it sounds great. right now i have it layed on its side next to a wall and it fills up most of house with sound.

but these little woofers have a low frequency of like 35 hz they dont get the low lows,

that gives me a new question. wats is the Fs of the sub, this ones Fs is 55 and it freq range is 35-5000.

subs usually have an fs between 25 and 40 hz or so, for 10+ inch drivers. From the sound of it, those 7 inchers you have are more meant as a mid/midbass, like in a 2-way component setup.

subs usually have an fs between 25 and 40 hz or so, for 10+ inch drivers. From the sound of it, those 7 inchers you have are more meant as a mid/midbass, like in a 2-way component setup.

yea i use them on my rear deck in my car for midrange,

but what i was askin is what does Fs mean.

from what i thought happens, one wave is pushed between the two boxes and comes out the center of the inner box, while the other wave comes out the center box without goin inside the box, its length is 1/4 45 hz wavelength. I tryed to get it like the box on here, http://www.cowanaudio.com/th.html , except mine is like havin 4 of them put together.

That website makes it look like it is just a tapered quarter wave.

*edit*

You might find http://www.quarter-wave.com/ interesting. If you are interested in poking around more about different styles of enclosures go poke around www.diyaudio.com/forums, some quite interesting stuff is logged over there.