I'm currently helping a friend purchase the rest of his setup for his Durango. He bought my 12" Cerwin-Vega! Vmax D2 Driver. It is in a 2.5cu ft. box (ported).

Memphis Ampl

That is the amp he is going to buy. 500RMS at 1 ohm. Class D

Question is: Run 4 gauge or 2 gauge?

And he has a stock deck, so I will need a LOC, where is a good place to purchase them, and i would need a write up on how to wire one in, along with a source for the remote.

Final: Woofersetc is a good site to order from right? I've known quite a few people that have ordered from there without problems

since its a 500w amp i would say it wont hold any bigger wire than 4g

why is he wanting to keep the stock head unit?

lol but tbh it is going to sound very weird :ehh:

well that amp does real power around 600watts at its lowest ohm rating. I nice 8 gauge wire will work fine. Amp cant pull more than 60 amps on a stock power system soooooo 4 awg would be overkill but still a good thing. Also keep in mind buying MEMPHIS products online can only be warrantied by the people you bought it from. They do not authorize internet sells and will not warranty anything bought online. As far as the LOC goes ive always used the PAC products for that....the SNI-15 would be a good one for your application...10:1 reduction with a fixed output...

alright I'll get him true 8 gauge, and look into that loc.

what about a source for the remote, or does that adjustable remote control that.....

I was thinking of finding a power source that goes on when the truck turns on, but if there is an easier way, it would be nice.

stock headunit is basically gonna cut your sub output in half.

where in the world did you hear that from? Not true at all. Nor will bass sound weird off of a stock deck.

Run 4 gauge wire. Definitely. You will see less voltage drop to the back and less strain on everything. At a price difference of probably 5 dollars, why not.

x2 on the 4 gauge. if he gets off the stock h/u and wants to add a 2 or 4 channel later on u will be ahead of the game.

guys, 2ga is heavier gauge than 4, but either will be fine

guys, 2ga is heavier gauge than 4, but either will be fine

my reply was in response to 4runner, who said 8 gauge would work. Yes it would be ok, but 4 gauge would be better. I had forgotten that the OP was deciding between 2 and 4 gauge. 2 gauge would obviously be better, but I don't think it would offer any benefits in this application. Though if he ever planned on adding amps or getting any larger ones in the future, yes 2 gauge would be good to do now just so it would have to be done once.

sorry what i meant was speakers, your speakers are not gonna be up to par with your subs and it is not gonna sound good, maybe distorted

Not here to argue with anybody but the guy said money was tight sooooo...i said a nice 8 gauge would work!!!! No sh!t 2 or 4 awg would be better.......

Anyways, AJG, you can find a switched 12volt power either from behind the radio(depends on vehicle year put i do believe the wire is red/w white stripe) or you can use a DMM to find a switched 12 at the fuse panel location......