dlink

How to Deaden Hatch

I have an 07 Yaris Hatchback and I am most likely going to put a 10" sub in the back. I am thinking 10w7, but maybe a w6 or something slightly less expensive. How should I deaden my hatch, if at all? Could someone shade the pic where I should put deadning material? I know ideally I would do it all over, but I'm trying to limit how much of my car gets torn apart :)

The front doors will already be deadened.

IMG_1934.JPG

Edited by dlink

Need to hit the noisy parts. Typically they are the flatter places without bends in the middle; however, a complete layer is way more effective than little pieces.

Hes Faster ^ :D

More then likely you are going to have to take the whole car apart to get to one spot. Other then telling you that it should be on large flat panels theres not much one can do to tell you where to put the deadening. The best option is to do the "rap" test, when you have the panels off and got bare metal rap (knock) on the metal and listen to hear how dead it sounds and add material as needed.

Edited by bromo

Need to hit the noisy parts. Typically they are the flatter places without bends in the middle; however, a complete layer is way more effective than little pieces.

What about covering the surface with big pieces of deadener vs small pieces ?

To the OP : Get the W6 :)

What about covering the surface with big pieces of deadener vs small pieces ?

To the OP : Get the W6 :)

The aluminum layer is your friend so the more complete it is the better the barrier it will be. The mass loading portion won't care however.

<--has no love for the W7

That's a cute little car.

Really...Just get to learn your car before you start anything. Pretty much makes your install look cleaner and faster knowing you know how to disassemble and reassemble everything properly.

I was worried I'd have to take everything apart. I wanted to do a self install, but living in an apartment, not a huge selection of tools, and even less space to keep things like seats and carpet. Also the only shelter for my car is the tree that I park under, and November in IL generally calls for a bit more than that :) I could leave it at my parents' house and drive my 15 yo sisters' car while she waits for her license over winter break.

best bet install the system and go from there. you might find you dont need any, if you do though it will point you straight at the area. considering you are looking at a w6 id have to say sq is your main concern so you will have less rattling than someone looking at a high spl vehicle.

Edited by dbjunior

take out all the seats and the carpet, along with any interior pieces that you'll deaden. Put the driver's seat back in with the carpet out and then deaden everything. You can keep the interior parts in your house until you finish. Almost anyone here has driven around like this while deadening their car. It'll save time in the long run as you can properly route all your wiring while it's like this.

well I guess I know what I'll be doing in December :P How long does an install usually take? I wonder if I could knock it out over thanksgiving break.... meh, not the point of this part of the board, sorry. I'll search around

best bet install the system and go from there. you might find you dont need any, if you do though it will point you straight at the area. considering you are looking at a w6 id have to say sq is your main concern so you will have less rattling than someone looking at a high spl vehicle.

meh, you miss everything. Install is the most important part of anything and bypassing the deadening and noise reduction should be the first step, not the last. It is quintessential in particular if you are assuming SQ.

well I guess I know what I'll be doing in December :P How long does an install usually take? I wonder if I could knock it out over thanksgiving break.... meh, not the point of this part of the board, sorry. I'll search around

The time depends on you. A real full weekend is usually enough if you stay on task.