Sign in to follow this  
gerront

Does this program work?

I was wondering if the port calculater on the carstereo.com page was worth a poo? I used it to build my explorer (8 kicker comp 12"s and a 2500.1) as that worked out perfect......but i used it to build my 4runner (2 hk802sx amps, and 4 SSD 15''s loaded) and it doesnt impress me at all....so i think i figured out why.....here is the link to the page http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

But here is my real question...when you are calculating your port.....and you punch in all your factors and the end result tells you how long your port should be.....Does this program already remove the port displacement? Im assuming it does since you have to figure in your total cu. ft. before it can calculate anything......any help on this would be greatly appreciated...i cant seem to find the answer anywhere...

if it helps my box has 12.57cu ft internal, after my speaker displacement.

-im wanting to change my slot port to a round port

Which using this program it says i can use (4) 4" ports at around 7" long?

Before i hack my new box up to do this i want to make sure im going about it the right way.....

Thanks guys!!!! SSA Forum rules!!!!!

Any input people? import face off is tomorrow!!!

are you gonna build a box in one day? :o

i would use 4 6in or more 4 4in is not enough for 4 15's if you use 4in id use 8. if you want to compete id also try a higher tuning around 36hz. 8 4in tune around 36 is 13in

Actually im just gonna rework the box i got, hell i just built it!!! And as far as changing out the port dbjunior....how did you determine that...i want this mother to "beat like a one-armed mexican..in a merichi band" tm. When i built the box i tuned it to 36Hz ....i thought, but yet it plays loudest around 45-50Hz...which sucks.....i wanted it low and loud.

My current port in the same 12.57cu.ft box is 26" long x 6" wide x and 13.5" long (into the box)

Ive got room for 4 6" ports but that would be about it.....im assuming i need more port area is why my current ported box is f'd up?

Im about to go to home depot in a lil bit soooo...hook me up

I doubt it subtracts port volume from what you put in. None of the other port calcs I've seen do. It assumes you'll just add the port volume on to the box size. It just wants to know how many cubic feet the subs will actually see.

So if you want your subs to have 12 cubic feet, put 12 cubic feet into the calculator and get the port info. If, then, the port volume it suggest is 2 cubic feet, build your box 14 cubic feet.

i only have 18.5 inches inside the box for the port....so maybe a different slant port? Someone please help me.....

KU40 i see what you mean....but my box is already built.......it needs to be retuned ASAP, and im terrified im gonna mess it up again!!! And i would love to go to the Import FAce-off tomorrow and spank some ass...but its not gonna happen unless i figure out exactly what to do......

ok im gonna try theres and see what i come up with, maybe compare numbers....

ok way different numbers...im so confused now.......i guess im just out of luck here......

id say try and and if you dont like it then blah :P

I think im outta time anyways.....i dont know what to do......you ever hear a stereo that when its played it very apparant that its not playing at its full potential? i can literally say as the volume goes up to a certain point the subs max out in loudness, but if you keep on going with the volume the subs move more and more...but the loudness of them do not!!!!!!!!

i would really try to see if you could fit a box in there and the port facing back. what amps are you running again?

I would love to put the ports straight back, but its not designed for that....were talkin about a 4runner...not a suburban...lol

My box is touching the back seat and the tailgate....

Port and speakers have to be fired straight up!!!! Its working fine, its just tuned way wrong and aparantly i dont know what im doing and nobody can really help me......

:( i really dont know ALOT about tuning . but what is your port length in the box and whats the width and length of the actual port

My current port is 6" wide x 26"long and 13.5" deep (into the box).....i used a program to determine this but obviously it didnt do it right,...i tuned for 36Hz, but it sounds like poo-poo and plays its loudest around 50Hz which i do believe is to high......

try removing the ports and gluing them in on the outside, so they protrude from the enclosure. if the calculations were not accounting for port displacement then this is a quick fix

My current port is 6" wide x 26"long and 13.5" deep (into the box).....i used a program to determine this but obviously it didnt do it right,...i tuned for 36Hz, but it sounds like poo-poo and plays its loudest around 50Hz which i do believe is to high......

no wonder, your box is like 3-4 cubic feet less because of that port. time to get real creative with an exterior port for the show or something

EDIT: WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

I just realized you said 13.5" deep. that does not seem like anywhere near long enough for that tuning. how big is the box physically?

Edited by manbeer

Not a bad idea...but it would hit the roof ...lol....but seriously that would probably work...i like the way your going with that.....im starting to see ideas come together....

Not a bad idea...but it would hit the roof ...lol....but seriously that would probably work...i like the way your going with that.....im starting to see ideas come together....

build it with an L shaped port

of course it will put you in a different class most likely cause it'll come above the window line but it will work in a pinch

i think your tuned somewhere around 38-40 hz

well i figured since it was originally tuned to around 36 Hz then it should play its best at around 36Hz right? Its more like 50Hz though......

O| |O

O| |O ....This is roughly what my current box looks like if you were to be looking straight down on top of the box. Connect the lines together to make a rectangle and thats the port.

Oops just saw your second post about the port taking up 3 to 4 cu ft...im about to try and post a picture i made on google sketchup hang tight.....